Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Finish Line Speed Degreaser - should I worry about overspray?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-18-21, 09:33 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I recently purchased Finish Line Speed Degreaser. I used the degreaser for the first time this week on my cassette, still mounted to my rear wheel. If you have never used this produce before, the degreaser really flies out the can. It almost feels like the degreaser is blasting the gunk off. Anyway.

As I was using the degreaser I started thinking that maybe the product is spaying degreaser in to my rear hub. So I used the product as minimally as possible.

Anyone have experience with this product? Need I worry about using it on my cassette with the cassette mounted on my wheel?

Thank you.
Old 04-19-21, 12:42 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I recently purchased Finish Line Speed Degreaser. I used the degreaser for the first time this week on my cassette, still mounted to my rear wheel. If you have never used this produce before, the degreaser really flies out the can. It almost feels like the degreaser is blasting the gunk off. Anyway.

As I was using the degreaser I started thinking that maybe the product is spaying degreaser in to my rear hub. So I used the product as minimally as possible.

Anyone have experience with this product? Need I worry about using it on my cassette with the cassette mounted on my wheel?

Thank you.
Unless you spray it directly at the hub seals I wouldn't worry all that much. I'd be more worried about spraying the brake surface (rim or disc).

I usually put a rag behind the cassette when I spray degreaser on it.

The best way to clean a cassette is to disassemble it though. I do that twice a year.
Old 04-19-21, 08:01 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Thanks Amt0571 Good advice.
Old 04-19-21, 08:29 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
Unless you spray it directly at the hub seals I wouldn't worry all that much. I'd be more worried about spraying the brake surface (rim or disc).

I usually put a rag behind the cassette when I spray degreaser on it.

The best way to clean a cassette is to disassemble it though. I do that twice a year.
When I really need to clean my disc brakes it works well. but then you have to bed in your pads again. but its easier then sanding.
Old 04-19-21, 08:37 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
When I really need to clean my disc brakes it works well. but then you have to bed in your pads again. but its easier then sanding.
If you apply degreaser to the brakes what you're doing is contaminating the brake pads and rotor. Afterwards you're not bedding the pads again, you're basically burning the contamination, and the brake starts braking normally again once it's clean.

I accidentally contaminated my pads several times (not with degreaser, but with brake fluid). What I usually do is drop on a steep 1km street near my house while dragging the brake at "high" speed. They squeal like mad but there's a point where everything suddenly burns off and the brake power returns to normal and the squealing stops. Never required more than 2 drops to restore the brakes to working order.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 04-19-21, 08:39 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Amt0571
If you apply degreaser to the brakes what you're doing is contaminating the brake pads and rotor. Afterwards you're not bedding the pads again, you're basically burning the contamination, and the brake starts braking normally again once it's clean.

I accidentally contaminated my pads several times (not with degreaser, but with brake fluid). What I usually do is drop on a steep 1km street near my house while dragging the brake at "high" speed. They squeal like mad but there's a point where everything suddenly burns off and the brake power returns to normal and the squealing stops. Never required more than 2 drops to restore the brakes to working order.
no it cleans everything off. they are just like fresh pads. you cant really burn oil or grease off. I don't get swelling after using it. but I don't use it unless I think I got the rotor or pads messed up. Alcohol tends to cause swelling for a bit for me.
Old 04-19-21, 08:42 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
no it cleans everything off. they are just like fresh pads. you cant really burn oil or grease off. I don't get swelling after using it. but I don't use it unless I think I got the rotor or pads messed up. Alcohol tends to cause swelling for a bit for me.
It evaporates, of course it does not burn in flames (that would be fun).
Old 04-19-21, 08:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
I wouldn't use spray stuff while on the bike and able to get onto other surfaces like braking surfaces unless I was able to clean them with isopropyl alcohol. You never want to spray anything on braking surfaces and want to avoid getting things on paint if they cannot handle paint well (check with manufacturer). You can certainly use some plastic bag or even a piece of cardboard to help prevent overspray but I would rather just get the cassette and chain off and spray those in a bucket or bin or something away from the bike.

Don't contaminate your disc brakes. Spraying random liquid from a can or whatever that isn't alcohol or a formula specifically designed to clean bicycle disc rotors and pads is going to contaminate your rotor and pads. You will need to clean with alcohol and potentially burn it off especially if it contains oil. You will want to do a controlled burn in a fire safe area and have some water or a fireproof cover ready to contain if it gets out of hand but it shouldn't if you are careful. Alcohol shouldn't cause any permanent swelling it will evaporate or if you burn it, it will burn off you might have things backwards if you think 70-90% isopropyl alcohol is causing swelling.

Also make sure if you aren't burning or are wiping something to use a clean towel (paper works great) that hasn't been cleaned in oil (some shop rags are cleaned in oil). And don't touch your braking surfaces as the oils from your hands can contaminate things.
Old 04-19-21, 08:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

I checked the can and it is acetone and a few other things. no residue is left but it can harm some paints.. but I only use it on my brakes when I get them messed ups .like when I spilled brake fluid on them or such. it cleaned them perfectly and there is no noise after you use it like there is for alcohol. but it will clean the rotors down to bare metal too. N ow if they would put alcohol into a spray can like that. but for general brake cleaning its not really good since you have to bed your pads in and you have to be careful using it. talked to my mechanic and they use it sometimes but it stinks os its a outside spray.