Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Estimated value of a Raleigh LTD-3 woman's bike

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-21, 07:06 PM
af66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hello all..on another page, some very helpful people gave me some good advice on replacing a chain on a vintage Raleigh LTD-3 ladies bike where the original was missing and the local bike shop had advised me on the wrong chain. I have the replacement chain on and the bike now works well. However, for the last 5+ years, while this bike has been residing in our pole barn hanging up in the rafters, my wife has gotten used to her Diamondback mountain bike and wants to put the Raleigh up for sale. Other than the chain, most of the bike is original and it has the original Crown seat.
I'm sure it could use some new tires and tubes (although the tread looks good and the tires don't seem to be losing air after being inflated at an optimal pressure now for 2 weeks). The brakes work good but there is a little bit of marking on the front fork. Overall the frame looks good...no cracks or anything.
My question would be: what would an estimated value of the bike be "as is" and also a value with new tires on it?
Pictures can't be attached, unfortunately since I have less than 10 posts authored. Thanks again!
Old 05-02-21, 08:06 AM
oldlugs

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Condition and year are important when it comes to value. If the tires hold air and both match they're likely fine. Its a bicycle and if a tire were to fail, all you have is a flat tire to fix. I've got a few bikes with 50 year old tires that are just fine.

You can post a pic to your gallery page in your profile and make a note of it here so others can go look.

Depending on age and condition, I'd say it could be worth anywhere from $50 to $200.
The LTD III was the lesser model to the Raleigh Sports, it came with Endrick style rims an a vinyl saddle, (usually branded 'Brooks' or 'Wright', but I've seen a few with 'Rampar' branded saddles in later years). "Crown" was the parts brand for DP Harris or Rollfast.

Paint condition and rust will greatly affect its value, as will dents or rust pitted or flat spotted wheels.
I sold a pretty clean late 70's LTD III last fall for $180, the bike was all original, likely used very little with original black wall Raleigh Record tires and an original Brooks vinyl saddle. It was only listed for a day or two when it sold.
Likes For oldlugs:
Old 05-03-21, 12:04 PM
af66

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you very much for your advice. The pic is posted in the gallery under "Raleigh-LTD3" album. Will upload more than the one gallery pic once I get permission from the administrator to upload more (the pic that was taken might be a little dark). Thanks again
Old 05-03-21, 12:18 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The fork is badly bent back. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for that bike