Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Smacked my wheel outta true

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 02:11 PM
Celeste Mike

Bikes: '88 Cannondale ST400, '89 Bianchi Incline, ’88 Bianchi Limited, '87 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Recently I did this dumb thing. I was turning my bike around (while standing still) and I slammed my rear wheel into a fire hydrant I didn't see behind me. The wheel is now pretty outta true. Not unrideable, but visibly noticeable. (Not contacting the brake pads.) The wheelset is only two months old and was handbuilt by a friend who is a bike mechanic and wheel builder. I've already taken it back to him twice to have the rear wheel tuned after coming very slightly outta true on its own, and now I've smacked it badly outta true. (The front wheel has been fine.) To the wheel experts here: Is any of this unusual? Should I bring the wheel back to my friend to fix or give a bike shop a try? I trust my friend, he builds alotta wheels, but I'm not a wheel expert.

Also, how concerned should I be about the dent in the rim? Photos are of the fire hydrant paint left on the rim, and the resulting damage after cleaning off the paint. If it matters, it is a touring bike that I plan to fully load (haven't done it on the new wheels yet). They're 36h CR18 rims with DT Swiss Competition spokes.

Old 05-05-21, 03:08 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I can't imagine a wheel getting knocked out of true from something so minor IF the spoke tensions were as even as they should be.
Maybe someday your friend will build a good wheel?

ALL the spokes on the same side should have the same tension.
The NDS spokes will have about 60% as much as the DS spokes.
Give them a pluck test and listen for the tone. Compare the same side spokes. They should sound the same.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 05-05-21 at 03:11 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 05-05-21, 03:20 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Not impossible but not likely you actually bent the rim. Sand or file out the high spots on the gouges but don't worry about completely removing them. I couldn't say if your friend is doing anything wrong, you could be just having some bad luck hitting a pothole or ?? and then the fire hydrant. Check out some YouTube tutorial vids for checking spoke tension and truing to see if there are any obvious problems with the wheel build. A trip to another shop might at least tell you if the wheel had been built right to begin with.
Old 05-05-21, 03:24 PM
ign1te

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
nice quality on those photos!
Old 05-05-21, 05:21 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Hmmmm, I have seldom seen a wheel go "out of true" when it hits something other than a curb, pothole or big rock, etc when riding. Hitting sideways on a fire hydrant with no ride load (weight), I'm kinda of the opinion of a previous post. Thinking maybe some of the spokes weren't tensioned correctly during the build and the wheel "sprung" slightly. A sprung wheel will never get back into real true. You can get them ride-worthy but that's about it.

One quick test you can do, your other wheel, yeah the one that didn't get hit. Check the tension on the spokes on that wheel. If you don't have a tensionometer just squeeze two spokes and note how much pressure there is. Go around both sides of the wheel and see if any feel tighter or looser than the others. If they are, then an improperly tensioned wheel may be the culprit. If not then, darn, just bad luck.

You can also do an eye-ball check on how much thread is exposed on each spoke nipple. Do some have more than others? Also a good indicator that the wheel wasn't tensioned uniformly.
Old 05-05-21, 08:18 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Wheels can become bent from way more then just pot holes or stuff and only when riding. If fact purposeful whacking a wheel just so can sometimes improve the condition/true (but can worsen things too, don't try this on your nice stuff without practice and then only when there's no other option). The last time I seriously bent a wheel was by riding into the back of my late wife's pannier while on tour. Here's a before roadside repair shot. By loosening the spokes and whacking the wheel on the ground then tightening/truing the spokes I was able to continue the tour.

To the OP's situation. Take the wheel back to your guy, explain what happened and ask if they can get it straighter, Lightly sand down the gauge's raised roughness. Ride the wheel more but perhaps budget for a new rim and get it replaced soon, before the spokes get too old. Andy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bent Ft Wheel on Tour.pdf (181.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 05-06-21, 12:01 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
If the wheel was built by a friend, why not ask them to take a look?
Old 05-06-21, 10:44 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
'not hitting the brakes' is, for me, the same as saying 'doesn't need any adjustment'.

Unless you find spokes that are significantly looser or tighter than its neighbours, ride it and forget about it.
Old 05-07-21, 07:45 PM
Celeste Mike

Bikes: '88 Cannondale ST400, '89 Bianchi Incline, ’88 Bianchi Limited, '87 Schwinn Tempo

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for all the responses! It's nice to hear opinions from other people who know wheels.

Originally Posted by ign1te
nice quality on those photos!
iPhone 12 Pro 👍🏻
Old 05-10-21, 01:01 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
sometimes wheels take a while to settle in.

back when Cupertino Bike Shop was importin Cinelli's and other nice frames, they would build the wheels and let them sit for 6 months til the frame came in.

this acted as kind of a 'burn in' period for the rims, so that after a final touchup after 6 months, they would stay pretty straight.

i bought a bike online a while back , as usual, the rear wheel came in out of whack. torqueing the spokes helped, but the wheel was still a little out. what happened was the rim was physically bent, so that in order to get it back, the spokes had to be tightened, then ride for a few months, the re-true, ride for a few months, gradually the wheel worked itself back to being straight. then the axle broke so i bought a cassette type wheel and have finally joined the 20th century.
Likes For cjenrick: