Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to replace brake housing

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-17-21, 11:13 PM
spokenfork

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy,

I am a new member here and new to bicycle maintenance. Once again please excuse my stupid questions!

I ordered some brake cable housing to change the color.
I am not seeing much info on how to change only the brake housing, can this be done?
The bike is only a few months old so I thought I may not need a new cable.

Can anyone offer any tips on how to change the brake housing? Are the wire and end caps reusable?

The brake is Avid BB5 Disc Brake.
Thanks so much for any info!
Old 05-18-21, 06:37 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
OP has disc brakes, he isn't going to be squeezing any caliper by hand.... OP, I suggest you have a shop do this. Brakes can be unforgiving if you don't know what you are doing. Edit- I am wrong and stand corrected.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-18-21 at 03:59 PM. Reason: just wrong....
Old 05-18-21, 07:14 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It is going to vary a bit depending on what the brake handle looks like. If the bike is brand new, why are you choosing to replace the cable housing? Don't like the color? Otherwise there should be no reason to replace it before you need to replace the cable. There are scads of YouTube videos out there showing exactly how to replace the cable and these will be what you need to know in order to replace the housing. One of many showing how to replace cable and housing on a disc brake:

Can you re-use the existing cable? Maybe, but only if the end is not frayed. There is probably a cable end cap at the brake. You can gently twist this off with a pair of pliers. If the cable end is at all frayed it makes it difficult or impossible to thread the cable back through the new housing. You don't need to remove the inner cable from the brake lever to replace the housing. After undoing the cable at the brake, just pull on the housing. It should slide off easily. Put the new housing next to the old housing and cut the new housing the same length as the old one. Make sure you haven't narrowed the opening where you cut the housing. Slide the cable into the housing and re-attach it at the brake. The video should show you how to adjust the tension on the cable so that it does not drag on the rotor when the handle is released but stops the bike.
Old 05-18-21, 07:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
OP has disc brakes, he isn't going to be squeezing any caliper by hand.... OP, I suggest you have a shop do this. Brakes can be unforgiving if you don't know what you are doing.
Avid BB5 has an actuation lever that is pulled by the cable. You can move this lever by hand to "squeeze" the caliper while tightening the fixing bolt. It takes a bit of dexterity to do this, but it's not bad at all.

Although I disagree with initially tightening the adjustment barrel fully before cable fixing. It's best to leave some movement both ways, in case one's initial cable tension is too tight. Then the barrel can be driven in to relax the caliper a hair.
Old 05-18-21, 09:04 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
This thread should be in 'bicycle mechanics' not GD.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-18-21, 09:27 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
OP has disc brakes, he isn't going to be squeezing any caliper by hand.... OP, I suggest you have a shop do this. Brakes can be unforgiving if you don't know what you are doing.
Of course you can “squeeze” the caliper by hand. You just move the actuator lever on the side of the disc caliper. On rim brakes, we tend to squeeze both sides of the caliper together but we could just as easily squeeze the arms together.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-18-21, 09:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Here is my advice on the housing.

You can use the old one to get the correct length.

You need good side cutters and a square cut.

I use a bench grinder to make sure any edge that might catch the cable is removed. You can use a file, which I use to finish up.

I use a stick pin to open up the liner and kind of flare it slightly.

However you adjust is up to you, but you need the a smooth square housing end where the cable does not catch or bind.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-18-21, 10:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Here is my advice on the housing.

You can use the old one to get the correct length.

You need good side cutters and a square cut.

I use a bench grinder to make sure any edge that might catch the cable is removed. You can use a file, which I use to finish up.

I use a stick pin to open up the liner and kind of flare it slightly.

However you adjust is up to you, but you need the a smooth square housing end where the cable does not catch or bind.

John
I use a “pokey tool”. It’s a sharpened spoke with (or without) a bent triangular handle. A woodworker’s awl also works.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-18-21, 11:41 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenfork
Howdy,

I am a new member here and new to bicycle maintenance. Once again please excuse my stupid questions!

I am not seeing much info on how to change only the brake housing, can this be done?

Can anyone offer any tips on how to change the brake housing? Are the wire and end caps reusable?

You can to go youtube and search for "replace bicycle cables" and watch a couple of videos to see what's involved. And take pictures of the existing housing on the bike so you can refer to them when you install the new housing.
Old 05-18-21, 12:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Did I miss where the OP said if this was for MTB or Road (drop bars)? That makes a difference in the complexity and instructions for the brake lever end of things.

Regarding reusing the cable: there are some tricks and strategies to re-use a cable that will often work, but if this is your first time doing this, you will make this a lot more straightforward if you just get a new cable. You will need a new cable crimp as well (the little thing crimped onto the end of the cable).
Old 05-18-21, 06:40 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by cubewheels
It's simple enough with road bike brifters. Just note where the cable goes in the brake levers before removing them. Loosen the fixing bolt at the caliper (the bolt that presses on the cable) and press the brake lever all the way in too see inside and where the cable goes.

Re-using cables doesn't damage it in any-way. After the metal cap is removed at the caliper end, clean the caliper end of the cable to remove any oil/grease. If the end is frayed a bit, put the wire strands together with tape, put a drop of superglue, wait to dry, remove the tape, sandpaper the extra glue/tape left behind and you'll have no trouble putting it back in.
OP was asking about replacing housing, not the cable. Replacing housing on drop bars often requires re-taping.
Old 05-19-21, 03:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by cubewheels
In my first reply, I told him to remove tape (if using dropbar) to replace brake housing. Non-adhesive bar tape, very easy to re-tape / re-use.
So why are you repeating yourself now?
Old 05-19-21, 07:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by spokenfork
Howdy,

Welcome to the forum. We have a great mechanics sub-forum where discussions have a tendency to stay focused. As with all questions, the more information you give, the better feedback you get. Is this a drop bar or flat bar bike? When you mention end caps, are you referring to the housing ends or the little dressing cap that goes on the end of the cable?

You may to have to replace the cables along with the housing. The binding bolts often distort the cable to the point that it doesn't feed through the cable.