Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Return to the office???

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Return to the office???

Old 05-19-21, 09:12 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10643 Post(s)
Liked 2,668 Times in 1,838 Posts
Return to the office???

Well, for the past year or so, parts of America have been working remotely... and now that masks are off... there is something of a drive to get folks to return to the office... However...
As another worker put it, ďI can tell you, most people really donít give 2 flips about Ďcompany cultureí and think itís BS.Ē

Surveys have found that
what workers want most from management, on the issue of corporate culture, are more remote-work resources, updated policies on flexibility and more communication from leadership.
https://news.yahoo.com/employees-fee...122716638.html

This article from WaPo is quite interesting in this regard... the reaction to the CEO comments, by staff, were quite intense.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...g-work-office/

Perhaps it should be pointed out that ships CAN get underway without Captains, but not without crews.
Old 05-19-21, 10:36 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 209 Posts
I have worked from home for the past ~6 years. It has it's highs and lows. Working from home and coupled with the "pandemic" was a terrible experience for us, particularly in the fitness and appearance area.
We have been after the owner of our company for some years to open an office alongside our shop and storage such that we could have better control over resources, more in touch with our employees. The lazy side of me is regretful that I pushed the issue, but at the same time putting structure back into our lives has been a good thing....it also cuts down on the raw hours available just to sit around and drink (lol).
Old 05-19-21, 11:32 AM
genec
genec

For me, it has been as if I finally got what so many have promised... the work I do is largely on computer... design and simulation for electronic devices... and I often work in a solo office or cube, and for decades have heard "you can probably work at home a couple days a week..." only to find that when I want to do so, my immediate supervisor almost always has some excuse for me to be in the office.

Now oddly, my work does involve collaboration with other engineers... but not on a daily basis, and often just to answer a few questions or clarify a requirement... and such contact can usually be done via phone, email or Skype. Rarely is a full face to face meeting required. (it may be called on, but usually the focus then becomes the images projected on a screen).

For me, working from home has been "the promise never kept," while I often worked in less than perfect office conditions (poor or too bright lighting, noisy, too many disturbances... and the commute) So actually working from home during the pandemic has been rather "ideal." I DO have to find other means to exercise... I often bike commuted in the past... these days, I walk after work.

Sales, marketing and management types seem to crave the office environment and "company culture." I am not one of those types. Let them have it. They tend to put me into some CAD closet anyway. (all too often a too well lit cube in a back office.)

At home, I control all aspects of my working environment... noise (or music), lighting (soft and task oriented), and temperature (comfortable), the commute is short (down stairs) and the lunch cafe close and cheap (soup, in the kitchen).

Yeah, I prefer working at home. But I admit it is not for everyone.
Likes For genec:
Old 05-19-21, 04:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 4256 Post(s)
Liked 2,206 Times in 1,424 Posts
Seems to depend on many factors. Many of my local friends have suffered mental health issues over the prolonged pandemic shutdown and isolation from work places. They're more extroverted than they realized, although that may be too simplistic. These are folks who portray themselves as introverted on social media, via memes and junk quizzes and personality tests. Yet the reality is that over the past year they've complained about feeling isolated, depressed, gaining weight, etc.

Some businesses depend on personal interaction, particularly in the arts. That includes many of my friends who work in theater, music and other creative pursuits. The pandemic and isolation from creative outlets and partners has been devastating for them financially and psychologically.

Interestingly, though, even the folks who could do all or most of their work online appear to now prefer a mixed model in which they make at least some appearances in a common work space.

My job in the 1990s involved a mixed workplace/home model, but I usually preferred to at least visit the office a few times a week. In part because the job demanded a lot of travel and I preferred to use the motor pool rather than my own vehicle. But it also gave me an opportunity to confer with colleagues over complicated issues related to work. And our research material was not yet online, so I had to consult the library and paper files often.

The worst part of that work-from-home paradigm was our utterly incompetent software, designed by a contractor with zero understanding of what we needed. And the system had no backup or redundancy, so it was possible to lose an entire day's work with a single glitch in the computer system or power outage. There was a coffee-cup shaped dent in my wall from one such experience.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-19-21, 04:42 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I'd consider myself more of an introvert than extrovert but still miss going into office at least part time. I find value in regular interactions with colleagues and the change of scenery is nice. Sure I sometimes wish the commute was shorter and/or there was a more viable bike route. Infrastructure changes for COVID should make it much easier to have home days when desired.
Old 05-19-21, 05:43 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Seems to depend on many factors. Many of my local friends have suffered mental health issues over the prolonged pandemic shutdown and isolation from work places. They're more extroverted than they realized, although that may be too simplistic. These are folks who portray themselves as introverted on social media, via memes and junk quizzes and personality tests. Yet the reality is that over the past year they've complained about feeling isolated, depressed, gaining weight, etc.

Some businesses depend on personal interaction, particularly in the arts. That includes many of my friends who work in theater, music and other creative pursuits. The pandemic and isolation from creative outlets and partners has been devastating for them financially and psychologically.

Interestingly, though, even the folks who could do all or most of their work online appear to now prefer a mixed model in which they make at least some appearances in a common work space.

My job in the 1990s involved a mixed workplace/home model, but I usually preferred to at least visit the office a few times a week. In part because the job demanded a lot of travel and I preferred to use the motor pool rather than my own vehicle. But it also gave me an opportunity to confer with colleagues over complicated issues related to work. And our research material was not yet online, so I had to consult the library and paper files often.

The worst part of that work-from-home paradigm was our utterly incompetent software, designed by a contractor with zero understanding of what we needed. And the system had no backup or redundancy, so it was possible to lose an entire day's work with a single glitch in the computer system or power outage. There was a coffee-cup shaped dent in my wall from one such experience.
I have to agree with the "arts" aspect... my wife is a singer and an artist... we used to regularly attend music events... which I quite enjoyed... We also attended gallery events (openings, shows...). But the "office culture," nah. Whenever HR would try to do a social event for "team building" I found those awkward and generally boring... and yet, there is HR, again, with the silly parties... No, I think not.

There are a few co-workers I miss, and have enjoyed chatting with... but again group lunches for retirements and the like. forgetaboutit.

Oh and the biggest lie... "Oh, you're part of the family now..." Right... laid off your mom and dad at the last division cut, eh? Sheesh.
Old 05-19-21, 06:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 15177 Post(s)
Liked 6,331 Times in 3,587 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Now oddly, my work does involve collaboration with other engineers... but not on a daily basis, and often just to answer a few questions or clarify a requirement... and such contact can usually be done via phone, email or Skype. Rarely is a full face to face meeting required.
We just do screen sharing when an email, message, or pull request isn't enough. Sometimes we turn our cameras on if we want to feel personal or show off a new plant or shirt or something. But in terms of technical collaboration, it's what's happening in the computer that matters, not what someone had for lunch and if they need a breath mint.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-19-21, 07:00 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by gear64 View Post
I'd consider myself more of an introvert than extrovert but still miss going into office at least part time. I find value in regular interactions with colleagues and the change of scenery is nice. Sure I sometimes wish the commute was shorter and/or there was a more viable bike route. Infrastructure changes for COVID should make it much easier to have home days when desired.
It took me a while to get used to, it was hard at first, felt pretty isolating. I prioritize spending time with friends outside of work and it makes up for it. I have a friend who moved 30 miles away, we drive our bikes and meet in the middle once a week. I haven't seen her this much in years and it's because of not being around coworkers and needing to connect. Other friends and family on weekends, I've had to give up some things I like doing on my own, but it helps a lot overall. I commute most days, I get up and walk a mile before work, then go for a bike ride or longer walk after work. I'm not saying people are wrong not to love it, I'm saying here's some stuff that helps me. The afternoon commute is a big deal, I need a signal that work is done for the day.

I have a pet with asthma, I really value being around to do the inhaler when needed.
Old 05-19-21, 07:26 PM
skidder
Bipsycorider

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 283 Posts
We got notified today that its back to regular office hours starting June 1st. We're currently doing 'every other day' as a work-from-home situation. For me it'll be nice to get back to the office; I'd rather keep my work life and home life separated. I deal with a lot of customers out in the field so the working from home was not an ideal situation, even with zoom, facetime, etc.
Likes For skidder:
Old 05-19-21, 09:16 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
We just do screen sharing when an email, message, or pull request isn't enough. Sometimes we turn our cameras on if we want to feel personal or show off a new plant or shirt or something. But in terms of technical collaboration, it's what's happening in the computer that matters, not what someone had for lunch and if they need a breath mint.
Via Skype, I do screen sharing and design reviews... where we "walk" through a design and make notes on suggestions and ideas.

Skype has latency issues, but it allows viewers the ability to phone in.

Zoom seems to have less latency, but more restrictions on contacts. (That could be the limits of our licenses though.)

The above work remotely through a VPN connection.

I have also used site to site systems that are like sitting at either side of a conference table... but that required a complete physical installation.
Old 05-19-21, 09:39 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked 354 Times in 194 Posts
I absolutely love working from home. I have to go back to the office in August and am dreading the idea. It's not the work I dislike, it's going to work. Email and zoom are all the human connection I need. And working from home has been more efficient. There's no longer a 5 o'clock culture. Most people will keep working on a joint effort until they reach a more natural point at which to break.

Every once in a while there's a paper document I need so I'll stop by the office. Which is across the street from the golf course so I'll usually arrange a meeting with colleagues there. For a little more human interaction.

Outside of missing dining in restaurants and live music, I've found pandemic existence quite pleasant.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-19-21, 10:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Volae Team, Priority Eight (for sale), Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6, Focus Mares.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 490 Posts
I'm never again getting up at 4:45 for a 6am meeting with India. My software engineers are going to work from home when their work benefits from it.

If upper mgmt doesn't go along, they are going to lose enough people to jeopardize their existence.
Old 05-19-21, 11:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

The team I'm on now was all remote before the pandemic. At my last job, I worked in a different building than my boss or anyone else I actually worked with, never saw them after my first day. I started working from home there before the pandemic. I'm hoping this will continue. I don't miss fighting traffic to and from work.
Old 05-20-21, 06:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13728 Post(s)
Liked 6,570 Times in 3,349 Posts
Iíve been going to the office most days since July, when our new space in the city got up and running. Iím almost always the only person there. Love it.

I think productivity has dropped due to people often working from home.

Starting this week I have seen a lot more people in town and in my office building in particular. Someone on my floor even funked up the menís room the other day.
Old 05-20-21, 01:26 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 5069 Post(s)
Liked 1,776 Times in 1,056 Posts
90%+ of my planned interactions are with people outside of my location - never have had video meetings prior or after as was the culture. Focus is always on the material being reviewed and what is being said.
However what is missing is the break/hallway conversations which can be most helpful for awareness & prioritization - informal shared learning which has an effect to me of reducing stress.
Old 05-22-21, 09:39 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
I have worked from home for the past ~6 years. It has it's highs and lows. Working from home and coupled with the "pandemic" was a terrible experience for us, particularly in the fitness and appearance area.
We have been after the owner of our company for some years to open an office alongside our shop and storage such that we could have better control over resources, more in touch with our employees. The lazy side of me is regretful that I pushed the issue, but at the same time putting structure back into our lives has been a good thing....it also cuts down on the raw hours available just to sit around and drink (lol).
Why would you care more about the outcome of your work than the owner does?
Old 05-22-21, 09:55 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

I would love to work from home! I love weekends and afternoons when Iím the only one there!

Our senior manager is an alcoholic who I think went to high school with the owner. As best as I can tell he promotes family members and workers who spend their time going into his office to dime out other workers and butter him up. Junior manager is some kid who does payroll and pushes paper. Old Leadman and my coworker who was his buddy would be drunk everyday by 10 or 11. Often including opioids, puking, and/or blacking out. New Leadman is a lot better, he spends half the morning smoking out and basically goes away by 1030.

I put on a headset and listen to audiobooks like Talebs stuff, Jordan Peterson, Barker, Simon Sinek. Podcasts about permaculture stuff. Jack Spirko. Harbinger does some fun interviews.

25 units away from my Bachelors. Iím thinking when both kids are in braces I want to start over. Maybe apprentice for a timber frame company to get the knowledge to start my own. I really like the Greening the Desert stuff.

Put another way. If you work from home, company culture is whatever you want it to be. If youíre lonely dial up some friends and hang out.

If you live in the greater LBeach area... Iíll buy you a beer. Or a coffee if youíre a teetotaler?

Last edited by SkinGriz; 05-22-21 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-22-21, 10:01 PM
SkinGriz
Do cats eat bats?

To the best of my knowledge, nobody has been sexually assaulted at my job. So it could be worse.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 05-24-21, 01:51 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1,374 Times in 1,019 Posts
Through the pandemic I've been in-office and WFH about 50/50 plus or minus. Part of my work does require physical presence in a lab full of computers on an airgapped network.

Personally I prefer to work in the office. Personal interaction be damned (that's what I have BF for -- and actually it's been nice in the office with almost nobody else around), my ergonomics are much better at work.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 05-24-21, 06:05 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3838 Post(s)
Liked 5,081 Times in 2,245 Posts
I only work part-time about nine months of the year, and was already doing some work from home. Once the pandemic hit, it was all at-home, including the couple classes (MBA-level) that I teach. I frickin' love it. Having to teach online forced me to rethink my methods, and the classes went extremely well -- students reported they were their fave courses from the entire program. I've got dogs at home, plenty of friendly neighbors, and I can jump on my bike for a ride whenever I want.

I'll have to go back to campus for classes this next year, but am hoping to keep the rest of the job at-home. I prefer my dogs to the people at work.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-24-21, 10:53 PM
ropetwitch

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Lucky for us, we are not yet required to go back at the office not because of COVID but, due that the top office of the building was on fire last march and renovations are still ongoing. As to the estimations made, its probable to go back to office by next year. As of now, we are into online platforms like zoom for our weekly meeting and presentation of reports.
Old 05-27-21, 08:22 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 209 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz View Post
Why would you care more about the outcome of your work than the owner does?
Because the better that operations run, the more efficient we are, the less supplies that walk out the back door, the more money I make. Aside from that aspect, because I have pride in my work and try to perform it as best I can. And when I do that, and when things fall in line the way they are supposed to.....we see the owner less, and THAT is a good thing.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 05-27-21, 10:55 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 8738 Post(s)
Liked 1,927 Times in 1,158 Posts
I have a sister and brother in law who are able to move from one state to another now without the need to look for new jobs because they are both working from home, so they love it.

I've been working on site pretty much the whole time, except when they sent everybody home for a month at the beginning with no work to do (but still got paid...yay!). I personally would not like working from the house. I need the someplace else to go and my wardrobe is better when I have to see people daily. I would have a dresser full of sweatpants and tie dye t-shirts only if I worked from the house.
Likes For RJM:
Old 05-27-21, 11:23 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by RJM View Post
I have a sister and brother in law who are able to move from one state to another now without the need to look for new jobs because they are both working from home, so they love it.

I've been working on site pretty much the whole time, except when they sent everybody home for a month at the beginning with no work to do (but still got paid...yay!). I personally would not like working from the house. I need the someplace else to go and my wardrobe is better when I have to see people daily. I would have a dresser full of sweatpants and tie dye t-shirts only if I worked from the house.
It takes a dedicated "office space" and mentality to work from home... But I will readily admit I have gone for a couple of days at a time in sweats or jams... especially if the outside weather is nasty and I have little reason to go out. But my wardrobe was pretty limited anyway... years ago as a CAD guy/PCB design engineer, I realized that "work" kept me locked in a back office with a computer... so fancy threads were the least of my worries. My wardrobe consists primarily of aloha shirts, shorts, and comfortable jeans. I do own some Dockers and button down shirts for those rare days of customer/vendor meetings... but again "rare days."
Likes For genec:
Old 05-27-21, 11:30 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 163 Posts
This subject pumps me up like few others. Most importantly, people need to find jobs and managers that fit the way they they like to work - as opposed to hoping that the jobs and managers will change to suit them. People don't change, ask any divorce attorney. One thing I am definitely seeing, however, is the Great American Ambition Divide. Those who are comfortable with exactly where they are in an organization, doing exactly what they're doing and don't want another raise or promotion or, really, any change... of course, they tend to like staying at home. Same job, less friction of commuting and social performance - just being good at what they do. No shockers there. BUT, what I'm seeing, on the flip side, is new employees want to meet the people, young professionals want to learn from the experienced team, those that want a promotion understand "outta sight, outta mind." Don't let anyone kid themselves, when it's time for the performance review, it is not and has never been objective. (pls re-read sentence two, above). NOW, here's my take on a few things (we're in FOO, right?). One: everyone says they're working more and are more productive. Funny, but while I hear this a lot from the team, I can look at the production, and we have not gained ANY velocity or incremental throughput. So, yes, working harder, but not producing more? Dubious victory. I'd say, through the pandemic, we've maintained a solid 84% performance. That's good for everything we've been up against, but the CEO ain't paying me to deliver 84% over the long term. Here's what we're missing: 1. Spontaneous Combustion: the eureka moments that happen in the meeting, the whiteboard session, even the unexpected conversation on a walk-by. A surprising number of small revolutions come out of that, and I need those (evolutions are slow). 2. Constructive Eavesdropping: Joe and John have been arguing about "this thing" being wrong for 15 minutes, when James (not part of the converstation) shouts "you guys are idiots - did you check the blue widget?" and problem is suddenly solved. Doesn't happen in WFH the same way, James never overheard them. 3. Newbies don't know you. Corporate culture isn't formed by an unbearable "birthday cake and card for Carly;" that's how a bad culture exposes itself. It's being in the same room, it's hearing somebody's snarky comment, it's watching people that do other things and help you understand how the place works. If the company is just an amalgamation of independent agents, then "you're Uber." And a lot of people just want to "drive their taxi" and not be bothered by participating in a group. Fine - find that and the happiness that comes with it. But I will bet any amount of money, that over the long run in my business (building software) that a happy co-located team can out perform a happy siloed team by double-digits. Guess the key word is... happy. /rant

Last edited by blacknbluebikes; 05-27-21 at 11:35 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.