Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-21, 11:05 AM
ChrisN83

Bikes: 1989 schwinn prelude, trek gritty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddles

What are some suggestions for nice looking yet comfortable saddles? When I ride right now dont wear cycling shorts...just cruising around with normal shorts but would like a much more comfortable saddle....
Old 05-24-21, 11:27 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,587 Times in 1,764 Posts
I almost never use cycling shorts (only for C&V events, and even then only wool) and prefer smooth leather saddles. They work well for me, whatever I am wearing, pants-wise.

Old 05-24-21, 11:30 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
@ChirsN83 - General question will get general answer.
For comfort, you need to know your sit bone distance. It will vary depending on the position on the saddle. Narrower when leaned over and wider when sitting upright. Once you know the measurement, you will be on your way to a plethora of options!
Do not get lulled into soft cushy saddles. Even a hard leather saddle can break into the most comfortable saddle you will keep for years. I have one that is almost 50 years old and I don't know that it would be any less comfortable at 300 miles than it is when I get on.

If you haven't read this yet.....Brooks saddle questions... - Bike Forums

Last edited by SJX426; 05-24-21 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For SJX426:
Old 05-24-21, 12:24 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Brooks B17 works best for me, regardless of what I'm wearing. (And I've NEVER needed to "break one in" - they fit just fine right out of the box.
Likes For rando_couche:
Old 05-24-21, 12:30 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
Any well broken in Brooks. I'm partial to the B15 or B17 or Professional, but most comfortable I ever sat on was the B72 on the Raleigh Sports that was my commuter bike back in the early 80's. Bike was used, cost $35 (going rate for a campus bike back then). Its saddle was well worn, with deep depressions that just happened to perfectly align with my sit bones. The B17 and Professional are both comfortable right out of the box, but show noticeable improvement after 300 or 400 miles on those(less expensive, that have thinner leather. The more expensive models have thicker leather and can take several thousand miles of riding to fully break in.
Likes For ollo_ollo:
Old 05-24-21, 12:39 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
A comfortable saddle for one person might be the saddle from the underworld for another. Male or female makes a difference also. For my money, a Brooks B17 is probably the most comfortable saddle that I have used and I have used lots...

This saddle and I are old friends and have shared thousands of kilometers together. It is mounted on my early eighties Bianchi which I keep in Jamaica, where I used to spend the Canadian winter months riding...

This is the saddle that I use the most these days, mounted to my daily rider, a turn of the century Marinoni. I can honestly feel safe recommending this saddle but that still means little or even nothing...

But for you, those suggestions might prove to be misleading. Sorry that I cannot be more specific. In fact, I bet that there are lots of different answers to what is or is not comfortable, when it comes to bicycle saddles.

One thing that I know for sure, your behind must toughen up a wee bit for any saddle to be truly comfortable. At the start of each riding season, last year's comfort saddle does not feel all that comfortable simply because I am not used to it, thanks to a four or five month lack of bike riding during the Canadian winter. Had the bike out several times this year and the comfort factor has improved each ride. My butt is getting more accustomed to the ride, now that the warm weather has finally arrived (did not go to Jamaica this year due to the pandemic)...
Old 05-24-21, 12:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
One person's "like sitting on a cloud" is another person's "ass hatchet", so my suggestion is to find a saddle you like, that you can ride for hours without pain or numbness, and then buy a bunch of them. That's what I did. The thing is, I only have 5 of them, and they stopped making them 15-20 years ago. So bikes #6 and #7 have the saddles they came with. The Rolls on #6 is not too bad, but the Concor on #7 might need replacing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-24-21, 01:11 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If we're talking still in production, the Selle Turbo 1980 is my choice. I can do a century on one of those straight out of the box. Otherwise, something similar like an old Vetta, Kashimax or Avocet will do.

https://www.statebicycle.com/product...addle-3-colors
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-24-21, 01:27 PM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
My two favorite are the Concor and Turbo. I buy those when I see one at a reasonable price. The Rolls works for me as well. A couple weeks ago, I put a Brooks Cambium C15 on my Zunow. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, but I like it so far. Everyone is different though.
Likes For Shrevvy:
Old 05-24-21, 01:33 PM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
If you're not steering clear of modern saddles, I can second the Brooks cambium endorsement, and my butt has never met a WTB saddle it didn't like. I seem to gravitate toward their "Rocket" model.
Likes For PugRider:
Old 05-24-21, 01:35 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I'll echo what's been said above. It's a very personal decision and unfortunately you may need to figure it out via trial and error. I say unfortunately because good quality saddles can be quite expensive.

I will add one point that I think hasn't been addressed. Leather topped saddles, whether Brooks type tensioned leather or other plastic/foam/leather, are often tanned or dyed or painted, and the dye can rub off onto your shorts, especially if you are sweating a lot. I've ruined pants this way, with Brooks (honey brown color ruined blue pants) and Terry saddles (black color ruined khaki pants). That's the main reason I switched to wearing cycling shorts. I don't find them any more comfortable, but I do find that they manage my sweat better. For commuting in hot weather, I make damn sure I am wearing something dark colored!

Another thing to add is that you can often at least figure out whether you're a person that likes a more "triangle shaped" saddle, or if you like a "narrow nosed" saddle. Some saddles taper more quickly down to a long narrow nose, whereas others are more shaped like a triangle, tapering over a longer region of the saddle. If that makes sense. Not sure if I'm explaining it well. I personally can't stand the triangle shaped saddles. The backs of my inner thighs get pressure from the saddle and after about 50 miles what started as mild discomfort becomes excruciating pain. But under 20 miles I have to try to notice it.

I really like the older Terry saddles. I think they are good quality and used ones can be had quite cheaply. I also like the Brooks Professional and the (unfortunately discontinued) Team Professional. They fit me right out of the box, with a wide supportive rear end, tapering quickly to a long nose. Newer Terry seem more triangle shaped and don't work for me. Same with later Idéale, which is why I haven't worked with them.
Old 05-24-21, 01:46 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
The industry standard when you can afford it... Brooks B-17, but your talking $$$$ €€€€ ...

You can also try these for a start: Tioga Spyder Twintail, Origin8 Classic Lite, Planet Bike A.R.S. Classic...

And the search goes on...
Old 05-24-21, 01:56 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
The saddle has been the number 1 changed/upgraded part of a bicycle for over 130 years.

From Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome, first published in 1900:

“Then there are saddles,” I went on—I wished to get this lesson home to him. “Can you think of any saddle ever advertised that you have not tried?”

He said: “It has been an idea of mine that the right saddle is to be found.”

I said: “You give up that idea; this is an imperfect world of joy and sorrow mingled. There may be a better land where bicycle saddles are made out of rainbow, stuffed with cloud; in this world the simplest thing is to get used to something hard. There was that saddle you bought in Birmingham; it was divided in the middle, and looked like a pair of kidneys.”

He said: “You mean that one constructed on anatomical principles.”

“Very likely,” I replied. “The box you bought it in had a picture on the cover, representing a sitting skeleton—or rather that part of a skeleton which does sit.”

He said: “It was quite correct; it showed you the true position of the—”

I said: “We will not go into details; the picture always seemed to me indelicate.”

He said: “Medically speaking, it was right.”

“Possibly,” I said, “for a man who rode in nothing but his bones. I only know that I tried it myself, and that to a man who wore flesh it was agony. Every time you went over a stone or a rut it nipped you; it was like riding on an irritable lobster. You rode that for a month.”

“I thought it only right to give it a fair trial,” he answered.

I said: “You gave your family a fair trial also; if you will allow me the use of slang. Your wife told me that never in the whole course of your married life had she known you so bad tempered, so un-Christian like, as you were that month. Then you remember that other saddle, the one with the spring under it.”

He said: “You mean ‘the Spiral.’”

I said: “I mean the one that jerked you up and down like a Jack-in-the-box; sometimes you came down again in the right place, and sometimes you didn’t. I am not referring to these matters merely to recall painful memories, but I want to impress you with the folly of trying experiments at your time of life.”
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-24-21, 01:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
@scarlson, Headsup,

The Team Pro's are in stock right now on the Brooks website.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/...o-special.html
Likes For merziac:
Old 05-24-21, 02:23 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You’ll need to figure out is best for you. I went from a Brooks Team Pro to a WTB Pure V on my road bike. The logic was pretty simple... if it worked well on trails riding a hardtail, should be as good or better on pavement.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-24-21, 05:57 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Just to drive home the point. I cannot comfortably ride a B17. Too wide. B17 Narrow is the most comfy saddle out there. I also cannot ride a Team Pro. It just doesn't fit me. I also had to send my C17 to a new home, but very much enjoy the C15.
I very rarely use padded shorts.
Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 05-24-21, 10:36 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
For riding without padded shorts it's hard to beat a memory foam type saddle with Lycra fabric covering. It basically puts the same material as padded cycling shorts on the bike rather than your body. Really comfy in hot, sweaty weather and rough roads.

My favorite for my upright hybrid is an older Bell, probably from the 1990s, and it's still in great shape. It's wide and well suited to an upright bike (my hybrid has Nitto albatross swept bars), with a slight depression for perineum relief. It's been fine for leisurely rides up to 50 miles or so. I mostly ride that bike on casual group rides, with lots of stops.

I also have one from Terry, but it's shaped for a woman's anatomy and doesn't suit me. The padding and Lycra fabric are fine, but the saddle shape doesn't suit my narrow bony butt.

Serfas still makes a few in their Tailbones lineup. Some of those saddles have been discontinued but are still available as new old stock online and in some shops.

If I ever get around to either flipping the albatross bar on my hybrid, or switching to drops for gravel rides, I may consider an ISM or comparable saddle with short nose/no nose and split for perineum relief to accommodate the more aggressive forward-lean.

If I wanted a more conventional leather saddle I'd consider a Selle Anatomica with pre-broken-in leather for a hammock type ride. Several local riders use those. I've test ridden their bikes around the block and the saddles are immediately comfortable. The owners say they're great for longer rides too. The only catch with Selle Anatomica is choosing the model appropriate for your weight. Occasionally I see complaints of bent rails but those appear to be due to riders choosing saddles intended for lighter weight riders.
Old 05-27-21, 01:22 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
This seems timely.

Old 05-27-21, 01:31 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
You have to consider that a good part of riding comfort is avoiding as much as possible, the amount of seams on your cycling shorts. Seams are where a lot of pressure, friction and chafing can happen against your skin. That's why cycling shorts are designed they way they are with the minimum of seams and what there is, is finished in way to present the lowest profile and located in strategic areas on the cycling shorts so they are mostly away from the high pressure areas against the saddle, while "regular" shorts or pants never take this into consideration.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)