Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Frame bag map pocket worth it?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-21, 03:39 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm looking at getting myself a Rockgeist custom frame bag, they offer an option for a non-drive side map pocket. For those that never carry maps, have you found a use for it, or is it an option not worth getting? My current thoughts are the only thing I carry is a 10" tablet, but that may be a bit heavy/big for the map pocket.

I am already planning to get a 2nd zip, and horizontal divider.

Framebags | Custom Features | Rockgeist Bikepack USA
Old 05-29-21, 04:42 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
...they offer an option for a non-drive side map pocket. For those that never carry maps, have you found a use for it....
after 'bout a quarter million touring miles, i can honestly declare i've never ever said
"golly, i wish my bags had fewer pockets."
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 05-29-21, 05:09 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I prefer one big undivided space allowing me to organize it as I see fit with ultrasil stuff sacks, but in this vase it is a special purpose compartment for flat stuff that doesn't take up much space. I'd find it handy for maps, brochures, maybe a note pad, possibly other papers, or passport. Granted the need for some of those items is reduced in the digital age, but sometimes it is easier to deal with paper than keeping batteries charged. Also sometimes it is nice to have someone sketch a hand drawn map or scribble on a paper map.

Also it looks like it would fit a kindle or some tablets. Some other slightly thicker items that you may want to easily be able to grab may fit. If nothing else it might be a handy place to put a phone.

I think most riders would find it handy.
Old 05-29-21, 08:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
I always have a map in the map pocket on my handlebar bag. If you were new to bike touring, I would suggest getting it.

But you have several bike tours under your belt already, you know how you want to do your navigation. If you do not carry a paper map where it is easy to see, I think you already know what the answer is.

I assume this is to fit your new custom made frame.
Old 05-29-21, 09:03 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I always have a map in the map pocket on my handlebar bag. If you were new to bike touring, I would suggest getting it.

But you have several bike tours under your belt already, you know how you want to do your navigation. If you do not carry a paper map where it is easy to see, I think you already know what the answer is.
You are probably right, but he might consider if there is something else he might find it handy for before dismissing the idea.
Old 06-15-21, 01:50 PM
craig_dahlke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 9 Posts
These days, I'm almost always using my cell phone and downloaded Gaia GPS maps as my main mapping system. It's nice to be able to keep the phone in the thinner side pocket rather than having it bounce around in the main compartment of the frame bag or handlebar bag. Just a thought.