Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Updating an old Raleigh racer

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-07-21, 01:04 PM
ellaryk

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 40 year old Raleigh racer with 27" wheels that I'm trying to use and make comfortable. I'm 72 and very fit but have a bad back.
I am replacing the racing seat with a wider seat so I can avoid groin discomfort.
I have raised the handlebars so I don't have to lean over so much but with the racing handlebars I'm still leaning forward about 20 degrees from vertical. On a long ride this puts a lot of strain on my arms.
Can I replace the handlebars with standard handlebars? Is the only limitation the length of the brake cables? Any recommendations on this?
A more radical change would be to upgrade the derailleur system. Mine has levers that are attached to the handlebar post. No numbers. Shifting is done by feel. This isn't a comfort issue but a convenience issue. Am I right in assuming an upgrade would require replacing the derailleurs and cables?
Thanks.
Old 06-07-21, 03:21 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by ellaryk
I have a 40 year old Raleigh racer with 27" wheels that I'm trying to use and make comfortable. I'm 72 and very fit but have a bad back.
I am replacing the racing seat with a wider seat so I can avoid groin discomfort.
I have raised the handlebars so I don't have to lean over so much but with the racing handlebars I'm still leaning forward about 20 degrees from vertical. On a long ride this puts a lot of strain on my arms.
Can I replace the handlebars with standard handlebars? Is the only limitation the length of the brake cables? Any recommendations on this?
A more radical change would be to upgrade the derailleur system. Mine has levers that are attached to the handlebar post. No numbers. Shifting is done by feel. This isn't a comfort issue but a convenience issue. Am I right in assuming an upgrade would require replacing the derailleurs and cables?
Thanks.
It's very possible to get this bike set up differently so that you are more comfortable on it. Pics of your bike (especially of the drive side showing the complete bike) would be a big help but the site will not let you post pics until you have 10 posts. You can upload pics to your profile and someone will post the pics to the thread.

I'm a fan of trekking or butterfly bars. Just think of them as a drop bar squished sort of flat. You will have to replace some parts to make this work (you will need new brake levers and thumb shifters plus the right cables). If you can do your own work, that will keep the costs down. These are the trekking bars on my Trek 950 to show you what they look like. That's an old school mountain bike but it will work on a road bike as well.
Old 06-07-21, 04:06 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
It is not too difficult to go from this...

...to this...

In my case, I also opted for and recommend thumb shifters, a small extra upgrade that adds to the safety factor and does help with comfort...

And for a saddle that is the very epitome of comfort and in keeping with a vintage road bicycle's vintage appeal, the Brooks B17 is hard to beat...

But, at a minimium, you will most likely have to replace brake levers, cables and casings. That would be just about all you will need to replace except a set of handlebar grips. Best of luck with this simple and very effective upgrade. By the way, I will be 73 in a month or two. Welcome to the Bike Forums, a great place to share your vintage bicycle interest.
Old 06-07-21, 04:38 PM
ellaryk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photos in my profile.
Old 06-07-21, 04:38 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Hey Randy - I always love seeing your builds - 100% classy. Happy Birthday! Tom
Old 06-07-21, 05:09 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
It is not too difficult to go from this...

...to this...

In my case, I also opted for and recommend thumb shifters, a small extra upgrade that adds to the safety factor and does help with comfort...

And for a saddle that is the very epitome of comfort and in keeping with a vintage road bicycle's vintage appeal, the Brooks B17 is hard to beat...

But, at a minimium, you will most likely have to replace brake levers, cables and casings. That would be just about all you will need to replace except a set of handlebar grips. Best of luck with this simple and very effective upgrade. By the way, I will be 73 in a month or two. Welcome to the Bike Forums, a great place to share your vintage bicycle interest.
I agree with Randy.

Also, unless you want to change the number of gears on your bike, there's no reason to have to change the derailleurs.

I looked at the profile pictures. I see the saddle nose is rotated down considerably and the bars are also rotated forward farther than most set-ups I've seen. The saddle position may be contributing to arm strain, as you're not going to be able to sit and pedal without having to support a good bit of your weight with your arms. If the position is usual, and you have the saddle nosed down lessen perineal pressure, perhaps a saddle like the Brooks B-17 Imperial (which has a cutout) would allow you to nose it up without triggering numbness. On the other hand, if the position is such to permit you to reach the bars and apply brakes, a different stem and bars may bring them higher and closer, so that you can bring the saddle nose closer to level, and further reduce the strain on your arms. If you have a shop that you like that does fittings, perhaps it would be worth the nominal cost to be evaluated and fitted. Alternately, you can rely on other friends who cycle, or internet research, or solicit input here, or at some other cycling-related group.

Hope we're offering useful information. Welcome to our community, and wishing you all the best in getting this set up to your satisfaction.
Old 06-07-21, 08:24 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Get an older, rigid frame mountain bike and build one of these.

Key components for you include - Brooks B-67 saddle and North Roads bars.

Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 06-07-21, 10:12 PM
ellaryk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, but that saddle is being replaced. I had already removed it before taking the photos so I just put it back on for that.
Old 06-13-21, 02:02 PM
ellaryk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
randyjawa:
Can you provide the specifics on the handlebars and the saddle bag??
Thanks.

Last edited by ellaryk; 06-14-21 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-13-21, 03:47 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
I ditched standard road stems years ago and started using stems designed to give a more upright position.

The most elegant solution is likely a ‘hybrid’ stem like on the first bike, but a threadless adapter and stem work well too

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 06-13-21, 06:47 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
Also, a Nitto Technomic stem will allow you to raise your handlebars significantly. You can get more upright by getting a short stem 50 mm or 60 mm.

I'd go for a Brooks B-67 with springs over a B-17 or B-17 Imperial for upright riding.

Good luck in getting your bike to work for you.