Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

To DIY or not

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-21, 11:21 PM
swami69

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
To DIY or not

How much of a price difference to build your own bike vs. buying one already built, for the same quality?
Old 06-19-21, 11:38 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I think it depends on what type of bike you are talking about, and what parts you want to use.

I would buy one already built. You can do minor things to it after that.
Old 06-20-21, 12:28 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
You'll most likely get slightly better value buying off the shelf, but you'll get EXACTLY* what you want building one yourself.

If there's a stock bike that's pretty much what you want, that you don't need to "upgrade" anything, then buy stock. Building yourself you've also got to factor in the tools you'll need if you don't have them already.

Having gone down both routes, buying off the shelf is FAR easier and quicker, but there's a certain satisfaction and love involved in building something up yourself.

* Probably won't be able to build exactly what you want right now because of COVID stock shortages...
Old 06-20-21, 06:26 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Unless you're re-using parts you've got or buying some used parts, buying the bike will be cheaper than buying parts almost all the time.
Likes For Viich:
Old 06-20-21, 07:01 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I my experience the price difference can be pretty severe. The biggest killer seems to be frames.

At one point found a Surly LHT frame on Craigslist for about half the new price. Did a build sheet pricing out the remaining parts and it was substantially more than a new, complete bike. Some of the stuff I already had. The only thing that made sense was to go high end. If you are going to pay more than msrp for a bike with stock parts might as well go all in and get the best of the best.
Old 06-20-21, 08:55 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Usually cost a good bit less. No possible way to give a number. A better question is how much better is a bike that you build for $1500 (or whatever) vs a $1500 bike from a shop. Much, much better.
Old 06-20-21, 08:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
If you have to buy everything you need, then buy the already built bike.

If weight or lack thereof is your thing, they'll have the lighter and better wheelsets, handlebars, seat posts and all around better stuff on them.

If you can scrounge and can go with less expensive heavier stuff and feel good about it, then build your own. But you won't be much less, especially if you have to buy everything.
Old 06-20-21, 09:07 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by swami69
How much of a price difference to build your own bike vs. buying one already built, for the same quality?
Well, the quality will be the same.

DIY will probably cost more, unless you are very savvy about finding and combining new and used parts, and are already equipped with all of the tools. You have to figure the cost of tools into your project, but on the other hand, you would have to buy those tools anyway if you plan on doing DIY maintenance in the future.
Old 06-20-21, 09:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I've listed on here, in detail, a couple theoretical builds for All City bikes where the home build comes in less expensive for the same level of components or the same coat with higher level components.
These were done using Google sourced online for sale components.
That was pre-covid and pre-inflation so not sure what it would result in now.

Point is, you can absolutely save money for some builds. And other builds you will pay more to build it yourself.

Something to consider- many enthusiasts buy a bike and then swap out the saddle/tires/bar tape. This is an extra $60-300 depending on what is swapped and what is chosen to use.
Then you have a group who also very quickly buy an entirely new wheelset too which is another $500-2000 depending on what they choose.
Compare that to the home build which will source the end products the first time and not effectively double buy.
Old 06-20-21, 09:38 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
If you can find a bike off the rack that has everything you want, it'll almost assuredly be cheaper than buying a frame and all of the same parts (not to mention tools and your time - and a mechanic's time if you run into something you can't do yourself) to build it up. On the other hand, if you're going to have to change a bunch of stuff from the stock build anyway (or have parts you want to reuse or a line on a great deal on a frame or...) you may be able to build your own bike less expensively. At the very least, it will be exactly what you want (or at close to it as you can get with the compromises you choose to make).
Old 06-20-21, 10:03 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Yeah, I build my own but that’s to get what I want, not to save money. It helps to have lots of parts. I also keep things simple with older tech and parts. Buying parts is, in general, significantly more expensive than buying a bike with a similar collection of parts.

Otto
Old 06-20-21, 03:00 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
A few years ago, when I last went to a shop to ask about a new bike, the guy there asked me about my riding and my current bike (1973 MKM frame that I built up from parts in 1981-82). He took me to $2,500 bikes, and he told me I would be unhappy with a $1,000 bike. Scared me out of buying a new bike. Until a year ago, I could buy an equivalent bike in components and condition for maybe $300. You do the math.

My bike has rim brakes, pinned flat pedals, 21 speeds with friction up front and SIS in the rear, and downtube shifters. I guess I could ride faster on a lighter bike with brifters, 11 speeds, and clipped pedals, but I don't race.
Old 06-20-21, 05:20 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,906 Posts
hard to beat a complete production purchase for overall cost. Doesn't matter pre or post pandemic for pricing as both are impacted by inflation & supply issues.

Building one is more for those that have to have it a certain way (even though color options are still limited) or those that want the "T-Shirt" of building one.
Old 06-20-21, 08:46 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Now that sram and shimano have locked down a lot of shipping from Europe its harder to pay less building your own, but as others have mentioned, if you're going to change a bunch of things that can skew the results. Because Campy is fairly affordable purchased from the EU, I went with that and was happy to find I liked it better in general. A chorus/record build with custom wheels the way I want them and buying the stem, handlebars, saddle, and post I wanted for weight savings and strength from the beginning meant I wasn't buying the same bike prebuilt for less. Really if you want something like a thomson carbon bar with elite stem and post from the getgo its a good example of where it can skew the price in favor of build your own. Course buying them for the prebuilt bike means having a deeper parts box.
Old 06-20-21, 09:31 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If you have not built a bike before, and you don’t have the tools, nor do you have a stash of parts, buy a complete bike.

If you are building a bike to get something unique or want the experience of building, go ahead and build.

I have never heard of a first time builder ever building for less than buying complete.

Seasoned builders might be able to source parts, and more importantly, not make novice mistakes in buying the wrong parts.

There are exceptions…. Someone gives you a $1000 frame and a new wheelset, building will probably be cheaper.

Another exception is moving almost all the parts from a bike you already own. My first build was taking the upgraded parts from one bike and putting them on a new frame, and I built my own wheels. I kept the old parts that I had upgraded to put back on the old bike.

John

Edit added: I did have to buy a Park truing stand but it has paid for itself more times than I can count.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-20-21, 10:14 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts

Last edited by Cpn_Dunsel; 07-02-21 at 11:31 AM.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 06-20-21, 11:17 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Building your own costs more. Component compatibility is also an issue, then one must choose silver or black. And sometimes those DIY videos don't work like they should in real life.
On the other hand, the pride of making it yourself, using hand picked parts and getting to know every detail of your bike is priceless.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 06-20-21, 11:35 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Clever witticisms aside, it’s typically 30-50% more expensive to build a bike by purchasing a frame and all new components separately.
When you look at cost of bigthings like the frame, wheels and drivetrain, it may seem like there’ savings to be had, but when you add in all the little parts it takes to finish a bike, like stem, bars, grips, cables, saddle, it can quickly add hundreds of dollars on to the build.

Unless you have a very specific specification, or a key, ‘centerpiece’ component, that just isn’t very common, it’ll be far less cost and hassle to find a bike ‘off the rack’

This all applies to new bikes and parts. Building up from late-model used bikes can be very cost-effective, provided that you know what parts and components are compatible, and how to make them work together.
Old 06-20-21, 11:47 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Perhaps, the most important consideration is do you have the expertise to put it all together and get things sorted out so that the functionality and quality-control is on par with a professionally assembled bicycle from your local bike shop.

If that answer is YES and you enjoy the DIY route, then certainly go for it. Hey, never say never, because, at some point you may just want to add another fun bicycle to your collection. Even if you do not currently have the skills & expertise to do a state-of-the-art DIY top-shelf build, you can gather those skills via DOitTOit College. YouTube University. and Skinned Knuckles State.... You simply need some decent enough bicycle candidate for "destruction" that will serve as at worst a sacrificial guinea pig as make progress learning what you need to know. The tools that you'll need aren't terribly expensive and you certainly don't need the top of the line names in tools, because you're not gonna be servicing bikes everyday like the chief technician at a local bike shop. Yes, certainly, the better quality tools will last longer but you will not use the basic-inexpensive tools frequently enough in the next ten years to wear them significantly where their functionality is compromised.
Find something that you'd like to modify, -or- restore and have fun gaining some essential skills before tackling something that might be biting off more than you can chew at this point. Remember, that there is just a little more to it than just sourcing and buying the best available parts & components. Your workmanship and overall quality control will greatly determine the operational functionality of such a build. Sure, it is true that most anything can be fixed/sorted-out by paying expert professionals to take but you may find that route to not be the most cost effective one --or-- the best one. The reason is that you perhaps may have made your decisions in choosing your equipment/components before you really had a grasp on what would have best served your needs. You later realize, that you should have purchased differently. Yes, sure, you can sell off, the unneeded components/frame/whatever, and it is ultimately a price of an education sometimes when you proceed full steam ahead with the enthusiasm and perhaps knowledge of Mr. Jethro Bodine, of Beverly Hills, Los Angeles Calif. USA. Oh, I think that will earn you at least a Bachelors Degree in Hard Knocks Studies and Mechanics from BODINE UNIVERSITY. Hey, you will learn and achieve that "Price of An Education" learning that you'll never forget by biting off more than you can chew right now. You may not want to learn at such a high initial cost and the associated frustration that results from perhaps knowing nearly nothing before diving in the deep end head first without either the ability to swim or without wearing some flotation device.

Have fun. Even the most complex, high-tech bicycle is nothing compared to the complexity of an ordinary automobile from sixty years ago. Most bicycle technicians and bicycle mechanics at even the most respected local bike shops can barely add and subtract, and likely can't do basic 9th grade Algebra.... It ain't rocket science and yeah for the most part, those folks are perhaps just a little smarter than Jethro, having probably graduated from high school with a C average.
For the most part, they are just part - swappers with the expertise, tools & training to do it almost blindfolded.

Have fun!! It is a hobby, or recreational sport for pleasure so don't worry about staying within the total budget like a comptroller of a manufacturing firm might do. IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, YOU SHOULD PROBABLY DO IT. I doubt that the total overall project cost will have any long-term financial impact on your life. You're not building a proto-type electric car or an atomic submarine, or a spaceship to Mars. It is just a bicycle. Even the most high tech, state of the art bicycle is less complex than a 1957 Chevy, a 1966 Corvette, a 1971 Pinto, or a 1974 VW Beetle. If you enjoy being hands on and like working with your hands, it isn't difficult to become competent with just a minimal number of specific required tools necessary to begin such a build. Have Fun!
Old 06-21-21, 04:37 AM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
building a bike will be a lot more expensive. And right now it might still be real hard to get the parts you need.
Old 06-21-21, 05:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My answer to the original question is...it depends. I have built many bikes from the frame up. More often than not, it will cost more to source all parts individually, purchase a new frame, and build up the bike.

But...

if you know how and when to source groupsets at the lowest possible prices, and are able to locate a lightly used frame in which you have confidence, and are willing to carry the risks of buying a wheelset sight unseen from AliExpress, then you can build a competitive higher-end racing bike for under retail. I know this because I've done it.

Because...

I knew what I was doing. I had a plan in advance. I was patient and was not driven by schedule, but solely by cost. And, I stumbled into a very nice carbon frame being sold by a friend for below market price.

EDIT: Again, I had the needed tools in advance, and didn't count any of my prior investment into them as part of the cost of the bike.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 06-21-21, 11:08 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Here's the problem I see: You have a bike, but want something new. You like your saddle, your cockpit is "good enough" and you have plenty of wheels. So you find a frame you like. You want SRAM AXS. You can buy a frame, or you can buy a bike, but it comes in Ultegra. (They are careful so the 105 spec bike isn't the exact same frame.) Build or upgrade the Ultegra bike? It could be, the cockpit on the full-on bike is better than what you would swap over, but you don't know that. You can always rationalize the wheels on the full-on as "back-up".

But I generally agree they don't give away framesets.

scott s.
Old 06-22-21, 03:43 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I'm gonna say it depends. If you're buying a new frame, and groupset, pedals... all the ingredients, and your standards are snob level; might as well buy a new bike as whole... unless you just really wanna do it and cost is irellevent. You can buy a Factory Five Cobra and build it, or buy a turn key.

Or you can feel the hot rod holy ghost and as many would say on here; "cobble it together," like it's shameful to make due with what you find.

A lot of Shimano stuff will interchange, especially if it's old. Any bike I've had with gripshifts, I've swapped trigger shifters on them regardless of what groupset they came from, or was on the bike. The shifters usually ended up being Altus or Deore. When I redid my Roadtech I used the RD from my Lotus Pegasus, a Deore one, I think. The FD was some no name Shimano one that just had a part number I bought years before, for a mtb that was stolen, controlled by the stock stem shifers. I put my rx100 RD on my Prelude until I got around to fixing the suntour cyclone it came with, and it's perfectly fine. Of course with the Roadtech, I barely had to pay for anything.

Just like the quality of parts, the number of parts increase cost. Like right now; I wanna make this Olympic in to a single speed, but I don't have any parts and need to source brakes system, wheels, new bartape, and chain. I got pedals... probably. Starting from zero is costly, especially without a co-op, where used parts might be cheaper than used parts at a LBS.

Do it if you want to, the cost might not matter to you, the curiosity, personal affair, experience and such might matter more to you, than the money. People build frames all the time. Have something that couldn't be found to buy. If I finished that Roadtech, it woulda been better than the Denali Pro, which it was 95% better and lighter.
Old 06-22-21, 01:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,861 Times in 6,072 Posts
Having built up one bike completely, and others to a more limited extent, I can highly recommend it as a project. You'll never feel a bike is more completely yours than by finding the frame, scrounging for components, waiting for every last bit to arrive, and then putting it all together, adjusting it, riding it, adjusting it more until it's just right. But it's not going to be cheaper. For one thing, the shipping on an entire bike is way cheaper than the cumulative shipping cost of all the bits. $5 here, $10 there - it adds up fast.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 06-22-21, 08:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Pretty much all bikes in my fleet are built up from the frame. It is not cheaper but you get what you want. I don't like prebuilt bikes as I have to spend extra money to buy parts to replace the ones I didn't want and while I love a good fully stocked parts bin I don't want to buy doubles of stuff.

Right now parts are 300+ days out potentially and bikes might be the same depending on what you are looking for. It is a tough time for this stuff. There are parts I have been waiting on for a while and won't see them till next year around this time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.