Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for an E-Bike conversion

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 06-20-21, 03:13 AM
amokeu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, looking for an Electric conversion kit, I don't mind it being separate parts but Id like a low profile downtube (bottle mount) battery with a FWD motor, and would like a throttle, not really interested in any front computers, phone holders and stuff, would like the kind of boost feel you get from an E-scooter with the feel a good Mtb gives, not riding anything mental before people comment about that.

Also, with FWD hubs, can they be laced onto my own carbon rims advisably or is that a poor decision?

If anyone's got any suggestions would be happy to check them out, I'm UK based so no USA companies unless they can ship, excited to see the replies. Thanks.
Old 06-20-21, 10:08 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Try the UK Pedelecs conversion forum for local recommendations,
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/for...sion.42/page-2

I don't think I'd want to subject a carbon rim to a 5 pound motor, but the only carbon I own is an accessory tube for the handlebars.
Old 06-21-21, 09:17 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 612 Posts
Dillenger has a nice front hub kit and distribution in the UK AFAIK. See what the forum(s) say about them, especially their batteries.
Old 06-21-21, 11:01 AM
creativepart
Age before beauty

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I have the Dillenger Rear Hub drive kit and it's been great. It was complete and easy to install. I'm in the US and they have a California warehouse - the company is located in Australia.

Pretty sure you're going to have to have a display and such. That's just part of the system.
Old 06-22-21, 09:53 AM
Dewey101

Bikes: '73 Raleigh Sports; 2017 Breezer Downtown 8 ST converted to ebike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 19 Posts
Woosh in Southend sell hub motor kits, email them at kits@wooshbikes.co.uk for advice on which one would work with your bike.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits
Likes For Dewey101:
Old 07-29-21, 08:19 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by amokeu
Hi, looking for an Electric conversion kit, I don't mind it being separate parts but Id like a low profile downtube (bottle mount) battery with a FWD motor, and would like a throttle, not really interested in any front computers, phone holders and stuff, would like the kind of boost feel you get from an E-scooter with the feel a good Mtb gives, not riding anything mental before people comment about that.

Also, with FWD hubs, can they be laced onto my own carbon rims advisably or is that a poor decision?

If anyone's got any suggestions would be happy to check them out, I'm UK based so no USA companies unless they can ship, excited to see the replies. Thanks.
A bit late in replying, but have you looked at the Cytronex C1(Cytronex.com based in Winchester UK)? No throttle, but we have three; one in the UK on a solo bike and two here in Florida; one on a tandem. We love them!
Old 07-31-21, 11:36 PM
BlackWhite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A motor and battery can be a great addition to your bike. It will allow you to go further, faster, and with less effort. You should upgrade your bike to accommodate the extra weight and torque.

While going faster is fun, eventually you will need to slow down. We recommend Tektro Dorado hydraulic brakes for both the front and back wheels. These brakes have large rotors of 180 mm or 203 mm for extra stopping power. You will feel a smooth, modulated feeling every time you press the brake lever. They both have cut-off wires that allow you to immediately turn off the motor power when you press the brakes.