Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My very comfy saddle is now...less comfy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-21, 12:00 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts

Of course I expect this could happen, but the saddle I've been riding for the last year seems to have gotten less comfortable in the last month or so. Nothing else has changed--my bike fit/setup, no changes to my weight or conditioning, time on the bike, terrain ridden, etc. The only real change I can positively confirm is that I'm a little...older
Anybody else experience this? It's an Ergon SR Comp, FWIW. My old fave was a WTB Volt Comp so I'll swap back to that and see if it feels better....
Old 06-22-21, 12:09 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have experienced what you have described with a couple of non-Brooks saddles. They were good saddles too but just started getting "uncomfortable" as you described. I switched to using only Brooks leather saddles on all my bikes except one. Problem solved...knock on wood, but it's been about 10 years now so we'll see.

Not sure what causes that. I thought it might be because the padding or underlying structure broke down, but on both of mine that doesn't seem to the the case. So I'm perplexed too.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 06-22-21, 01:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by pbass
Of course I expect this could happen, but the saddle I've been riding for the last year seems to have gotten less comfortable in the last month or so. Nothing else has changed--my bike fit/setup, no changes to my weight or conditioning, time on the bike, terrain ridden, etc. The only real change I can positively confirm is that I'm a little...older
Anybody else experience this? It's an Ergon SR Comp, FWIW. My old fave was a WTB Volt Comp so I'll swap back to that and see if it feels better....

WTB Silverado rules!

I have an old WTB Valcon that was mounted on my Allez Pro when I bought it. I believe the saddle is from 2011. I've put at least 9000 miles on it in the last 4 years, and it's perfect. I don't know how many miles were on it when I "inherited" it.

Honestly, I think WTB saddles are damn near bullet proof. I just never see or feel much in the way of wear on them.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-22-21, 01:18 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by drlogik
I have experienced what you have described with a couple of non-Brooks saddles. They were good saddles too but just started getting "uncomfortable" as you described. I switched to using only Brooks leather saddles on all my bikes except one. Problem solved...knock on wood, but it's been about 10 years now so we'll see.

Not sure what causes that. I thought it might be because the padding or underlying structure broke down, but on both of mine that doesn't seem to the the case. So I'm perplexed too.
I love the idea of a leather Brooks that I can break in and ride off into the sunset, but I've held off because the saddles that I've been using have a fairly different shape. The Ergon in particular has a significant cutout down the middle, and like the WTB I also like it has that sort of "whale-tail" shape. I'm a skinny little guy and I can perch right on my sitbones on those. The Brooks looks to me like I'd have way more contact/potential rubbing or whatever. One of these days I know I'll try a Books though!
Old 06-22-21, 01:23 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by livedarklions
WTB Silverado rules!

I have an old WTB Valcon that was mounted on my Allez Pro when I bought it. I believe the saddle is from 2011. I've put at least 9000 miles on it in the last 4 years, and it's perfect. I don't know how many miles were on it when I "inherited" it.

Honestly, I think WTB saddles are damn near bullet proof. I just never see or feel much in the way of wear on them.
Gonna swap the Ergon out for my older WTB Volt and see how that goes. The only reason I got the Ergon is I thought it'd be good to have the deep cutout.
Likes For pbass:
Old 06-22-21, 02:01 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
seems real odd after so long. You are sure the saddle hasn’t moved on the rails? I didn’t have one tight enough and it moved on me once.
Likes For BikingViking793:
Old 06-22-21, 02:38 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Of course I expect this could happen, but the saddle I've been riding for the last year seems to have gotten less comfortable in the last month or so.
Perhaps the Ergon orthopedic foam padding + OrthoCell Inlays have expired. Foam does eventually lose its memory. But then, don't we all?
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-22-21, 05:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
So you've turned the other cheek? Time to kick some butt trying out ones in the past that didn't cush the toosh as they may now be just right. If you don't have past seat experience, try a different pitch to see if you're disturbing the nerves or rubbing the bone wrongfully.
Old 06-22-21, 05:21 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
rubbing the bone wrongfully
Old 06-22-21, 07:55 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I'd revisit the weight thing. Not saying I doubt you. But if you gain a few lbs around your sit bones but lose it elsewhere then yes weight is the same, but not exactly the same.

Flexibility could also play a part in a different feel. Are you more or less flexible in the hips?
My favorite saddle was no longer my favorite on a bike with greater bar to saddle drop.

And shorts will also change a saddle feel. Especially padded shorts. My favorite saddle prefers a certain pad, or no pad. Other pads will ruin it.

My other observation with saddles, shorts material will change things too. Is it sticky? Is it slippery? Maybe you are moving more in saddle and your shorts are not sliding as well? Or the opposite, maybe new shorts or old worn out shorts are allowing you to slide around more.
Again flexibility, a loss in shoulder flexibly might have you sitting 1-2 mm farther forward.
Old 06-23-21, 12:19 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
While I'm a leather saddle guy I've always like WTB and it looks like it's called the koda because of the little dip where you sit