Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jagwire Pro Road cable kit is the bomb

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-23-13, 12:54 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

I'm prety cynical about most thngs, and the value of a periodic cable overhaul is no exception. But my Ti road bike was filthy, and while cleaning it up I noticed the cable inner wires looked like hell. Rust spots, frays, etc. Also this bike has always had very stiff shifting despite having een assembled with SRAM's Red Gore cable. Red derailleurs and brifters. Zero Gravity Ti calipers.

I bought a set of Jagwire Pro Road cables (shift and brake together) for $35 delivered on ebay. There are lots of colors available. Lubed outer cables. Teflon coated stainless inners. And linear support wires (not spiral wound) on both shift and brake cables. All ferrules, etc. included. Rode the bike today for the first time since installing the new cables. OMG! What a difference. Shift levers move much easier and shifts are super crisp. Brakes felt so hard, I had to open up the calipers to get better modulation. Now the're great.

What a cheap upgrade. Highly recommended. Unbeatable for the price.
Old 09-23-13, 12:59 PM
erief0g

Bikes: 2012 Trek 2.1C Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$35 bucks followed by "OMG what an upgrade".. sounds like sweet music.

Thanks for the heads up and enjoy the upgrade!
Old 09-23-13, 01:01 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Try Yokozuna Reaction next.
Old 09-23-13, 02:32 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by Nagrom_
I looked it up. Seems very similar to the Jagwire in construction except for the wound layer and clear coating. The Jagwire has the linear coaxial layer but the covering is more traditional. Except on the silver and gold versions which have the silver and gold threads braided under a clear coating. I also have the gold ones and really like them. It appears the price is about 50% higher on ebay. It would be nice if someone reading this could comment on a comparison between the two. I would hate to spend more just to get the same result. And it is hard for me to fathom anything being better than the Jagwire I just installed. But having learned a lesson about such cynicism, I am open to being corrected. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 09-23-13 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-23-13, 02:53 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
I'm prety cynical about most thngs, and the value of a periodic cable overhaul is no exception. But my Ti road bike was filthy, and while cleaning it up I noticed the cable inner wires looked like hell. Rust spots, frays, etc. Also this bike has always had very stiff shifting despite having een assembled with SRAM's Red Gore cable. Red derailleurs and brifters. Zero Gravity Ti calipers.

I bought a set of Jagwire Pro Road cables (shift and brake together) for $35 delivered on ebay. There are lots of colors available. Lubed outer cables. Teflon coated stainless inners. And linear support wires (not spiral wound) on both shift and brake cables. All ferrules, etc. included. Rode the bike today for the first time since installing the new cables. OMG! What a difference. Shift levers move much easier and shifts are super crisp. Brakes felt so hard, I had to open up the calipers to get better modulation. Now the're great.

What a cheap upgrade. Highly recommended. Unbeatable for the price.
Uh, sorrry... Comparing old, dirty, frayed cables to brand new, high end cables is meaningless. Do an A/B comparison of brand new standard replacement cables to brand new high end cables, and then you'll have something to talk about.
Old 09-23-13, 03:15 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by on the path
Uh, sorrry... Comparing old, dirty, frayed cables to brand new, high end cables is meaningless. Do an A/B comparison of brand new standard replacement cables to brand new high end cables, and then you'll have something to talk about.
Exactly how do you do that? I'm not Consumer Reports. I'm comparing new high end cables to what I remember about a different high end cable set from when it was also new. Basically saying these are the best cables I have ever used. There are plenty of standard cables in that have used category, and they were all new once.
Old 09-23-13, 03:38 PM
erief0g

Bikes: 2012 Trek 2.1C Apex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sure are more opinion police than grammar police on this forum.
Old 09-23-13, 03:39 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Exactly how do you do that?
I can tell you what I did. I replaced original cables with new inner and outer cables. I used, as recommended by a mechanic, oversized 5mm outer cables. I did that twice, with disappointing results. I installed the high end cables (not jagwire) not very long after the second replacement of cables, so they were still fairly new. The difference with the new, high end cables was significant, if not remarkable. I think that's a more meaningful comparison than if I was comparing old rusty cables to brand new ones. That said, I'll wait at least another 1000 miles to declare victory, that springing for the high end cables was worth it.
Old 09-23-13, 05:27 PM
RomeoTango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a set of Road Pro cables in my "maintenance/upgrade" pile of parts waiting on good weekend to begin. Thanks for the validation on my purchase! Got mine from ebay as well for the same $$. White.
Old 09-23-13, 05:57 PM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erief0g
There sure are more opinion police than there are grammar police on this forum.
Fixed
Old 09-23-13, 06:04 PM
rpenmanparker 

I can tell you what I did. I replaced original cables with new inner and outer cables. I used, as recommended by a mechanic, oversized 5mm outer cables. I did that twice, with disappointing results. I installed the high end cables (not jagwire) not very long after the second replacement of cables, so they were still fairly new. The difference with the new, high end cables was significant, if not remarkable. I think that's a more meaningful comparison than if I was comparing old rusty cables to brand new ones. That said, I'll wait at least another 1000 miles to declare victory, that springing for the high end cables was worth it.
But my point is you didn't go to all that trouble out of scientific curiosity. Besides I don't need to compare the two cases just days apart to know the bike has never shifted and stopped this well. What I don't understand is if you had the results you said were needed for a valid comparison, why didn't you just tell us about them right off the bat?
Old 09-23-13, 06:26 PM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$35 for a set of cables doesn't approach anywhere near "high end high priced" in my estimation. Any significant performance improvement in a critical function for minor cost is well worth it. In this case, you're justified ignoring the scientific experiment patrol...

YMMV...
Old 09-23-13, 06:49 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
But my point is you didn't go to all that trouble out of scientific curiosity.
Oh... don't be so sure of yourself

I'm always curious as to what makes things work, and what makes things work better. As a kid, the first thing I did when I got a new toy was to take it apart to see how it worked. Drove my parents nuts.

Besides I don't need to compare the two cases just days apart to know the bike has never shifted and stopped this well. What I don't understand is if you had the results you said were needed for a valid comparison, why didn't you just tell us about them right off the bat?
Because it was a lot more fun to set you up I'm messing with you, for sure. But my original point was valid. Anything new with moving parts will almost surely will work better than something that is old and dirty and rusty. Compare apples to apples. That's a big step towards being more scientific..
Old 09-23-13, 08:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

But my original point was valid. Anything new with moving parts will almost surely will work better than something that is old and dirty and rusty.
That's something I can't argue with.
Old 09-23-13, 09:17 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
I literally had to wrestle this stuff; the housings are SO stiff.
Prepare yourself. You've been warned.
Old 09-23-13, 10:04 PM
ibikestickers

Bikes: 2010 Caad 9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's something I can't argue with.
Thanks for the encouragement to upgrade every now and then! I've been putting it off and having some encouragement is helpful!
Old 09-23-13, 10:09 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the jagwire road cable kit too, $35 isn't unreasonable for a full set of brake/shifter housing and cabling.
Old 09-24-13, 08:06 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Note to self: Replace cables and housings.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 09-24-13, 11:13 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
If it's any help, I went through 3 sets of cables in less than three years (changed frames and the housing lengths needed to be longer each time) and the three sets included Gore RideOn that came with my red shifters, a set of DuraAce cables and lastly the jagwire.

Except for the brake ferrules, the jagwires are at least as good as those Gore cables (which were still in excellent shape when I replaced them) and much cheaper, and also better than the much more expensive DuraAce cables. They work great! Why pay more? The color selection is nice too.
Old 09-24-13, 11:28 AM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
If it's any help, I went through 3 sets of cables in less than three years (changed frames and the housing lengths needed to be longer each time) and the three sets included Gore RideOn that came with my red shifters, a set of DuraAce cables and lastly the jagwire.

Except for the brake ferrules, the jagwires are at least as good as those Gore cables (which were still in excellent shape when I replaced them) and much cheaper, and also better than the much more expensive DuraAce cables. They work great! Why pay more? The color selection is nice too.
Word!
Old 09-24-13, 02:01 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW, I've been running those for some time and will be replacing them with set of Jag Pros that I have on the shelf for that purpose. The Yok brake housings made a big improvement in lever firmness switching from the previous Gore cables which generally sucked.
Old 09-24-13, 02:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Looigi
FWIW, I've been running those for some time and will be replacing them with set of Jag Pros that I have on the shelf for that purpose. The Yok brake housings made a big improvement in lever firmness switching from the previous Gore cables which generally sucked.
Your comparative critique would be very informative. Please post something here when you make the switch.
Old 09-24-13, 04:27 PM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
Note to self: Replace cables and housings.
Easily the cheapest way to get 'a new bike' every time.
Old 09-24-13, 05:18 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Yeah, but how much do they weigh?
Old 09-24-13, 06:22 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Yeah, but how much do they weigh?
Assuming your serious, I'm glad you asked. I have some no-name outer cable lying around and compared the two. The derailleur outers are exactly the same, 0.83 g/in. The brake outers are 1.45 g/in for the no-name and 0.95 g/in for the Jagwire Pro Road. Nice savings. As for the inner wires, I don't know. At the same diameters, they must be just about the same.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.