Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Bike Seat for Older Child

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Old 05-09-11, 12:16 PM
IamFluff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My daughter will be 8 this year, and weighs just over 40 pounds. She has Down Syndrome and sensory issues, and cannot ride a bike on her own. I have a Wike trailer for her that I have been using to take her to and from school, but sometimes I want to run errands after dropping her off, and don't want to take along an empty trailer.

I have a Trek 7200 that I am considering converting to an xtracycle. Unfortunately my daughter won't sit on the deck by herself. She needs to be strapped in to something, preferably with a 5 point harness. All the seats I've looked at have either a 40 or 50 pound limit, and I'd hate to have to spend $200 on a seat that won't get more than a year of use.

Does anyone know if there are any seats out there with a higher weight rating? Or is there anyone that does custom seats?
Old 05-09-11, 01:47 PM
IamFluff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I found this image while searching. Anyone have any idea what the seat in the middle is? The outside ones are the Bobike Mini and Maxi. It might be what I'm looking for!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
childseat_scale_pop.jpg (33.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-10-11, 12:09 AM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not sure if either of these ideas are practical for you, but they sure are expensive!

https://buddybike.com/index.html
https://www.weehoobicycletrailer.com/?q=bicycle-trailer

I wonder if the topmost back support on this site would somehow fit on your Xtracycle:

https://www.bikecare.co.uk/backrest.html

The Bobike junior is another option, but only has an accessory lap belt available. Maybe you could fashion some sort of shoulder harness:

https://www.bobike.nl/products/en/bob...menu=m15____m3

Last edited by irclean; 05-10-11 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-10-11, 09:04 AM
IamFluff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the idea of the weehoo, and I was considering contacting them to see if it's possible to just get the seat and adapt it somehow. As it is, it is too low to the ground and she would likely try and drag her feet. The Bobike Jr is neat, I like that it can fold away when not in use. I wonder if it is possible to fashion some side supports for it. I was also considering trying to adapt her old stroller. The seat separates from the base so it can be faced forward or backward. I might be able to bolt it to a rack, or something...
Old 05-11-11, 04:44 PM
aggst1

Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am in the same boat as the OP. My son is 8 years old, and has special needs. He cannot ride a bike on his own and I am looking for a bike seat for him. We currently use a trailer but he really doesn't enjoy it anymore. He is rather tall for his age but very skinny. He weighs around 38 lbs. I have no problem buying any of the 40-50 lbs capacity seats I was able to find but I am concerned that his legs won't fit.

I would appreciate any input!
Old 05-11-11, 09:52 PM
exmilitarymom

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Yuba Mundo V3, Madsen Bucket Bike, Bike Friday Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband and I just recently purchased a weehoo for our special needs child. You do not have to worry about your child dragging her feet. The pedals have straps that securely keep the rider's feet safe. Also, the chain is completely covered, so you don't have to worry about little fingers either. If you have an REI nearby, I'm certain that you could try one out to see if it fits your needs. This is how we came by ours.
Old 05-12-11, 05:44 AM
aggst1

Bikes: 1996 Marinoni Leggero, 1978 Bianchi Superleggera, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 2007 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for the input. I checked the REI website and saw the I-Go Weehoo trailer. Didn't see the straps on the pedals but I will take your word for it. Although my son is not capable of pedaling, it may be good for him to do so to get stronger. I will certainly take a look at it at my local REI store.
Old 05-12-11, 10:52 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Hase bikes has some pretty unique special needs offerings. They make many styles of recumbents and trikes and a rear captain tandem. The Trets is the most unique in their lineup. It is the only bike I know of that has an integrated trailer adaptation and is purpose designed for special needs. They are pricey compared to other options. The quality of the build appears to justify the cost. If you have longer term needs and a trailer setup is a workable solution, these can be a very good option.
Old 05-13-11, 02:59 AM
Joyfulmama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about these? I realize that right now she isn't able to really peddle and thus couldn't make full use of the features, but it would be an investment in something that you could use going forward as her abilities developed more. Plus they have options for foot pegs only that would be for just resting feet on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvXvXNBDblI

https://buddybike.com/
https://www.buddybike.com/SpecialNeeds.html

Other options in this link, scroll down for some
https://www.lightfootcycles.com/special.php
Old 06-30-11, 08:45 PM
aggst1

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I finally purchased the Weehoo I-Go today from my local REI (yes, I know it has been 1.5 months since my last post but you know how busy life can get). Let me just say that I am ecstatic! My son seemed very stressed out from the very second I put him in his seat, however he liked it a lot. He isn't used to riding on two wheels so leaning on turns is very new to him. I knew he didn't dislike it because he never complained. He was just stressed, holding on the handles for dear life almost the whole time. As soon as we finished our 15 minute ride, and I got off my bike he gave me the biggest smile... like saying "I like it" (he is non-verbal). We took a 30 minute break and went back outside for another 20 minute ride and he slowly became more and more comfortable! Every time we stopped that smile got bigger and bigger! Hopefully in a few days he will start getting the hang of it and start pedaling too. (not that he has to of course)

As far as the Weehoo I-Go trailer is concerned, I think it is a high-end bike, it is aluminum, and it is well built. The mounting is one of the best I have seen. Very solid feel. I ride my bike without feeling that I am pulling anyone. Major improvement over our old Bell trailer that although very nice, it felt heavy. It is rather expensive at $389 +tax, but as long as my boy is happy, I am willing to do what it takes.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.
Old 07-04-11, 03:23 AM
Joyfulmama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So glad you got it and it is working out. I really think the Weehoo product is a great one!