Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

cop rams and then pulls cyclist over "for riding in the middle of the street"

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

cop rams and then pulls cyclist over "for riding in the middle of the street"

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-13, 10:26 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Angio Graham
If the cop truely stopped the cyclist for a lane violation then why didnt he ticket him ?

If the cop truely stopped the cyclist for a lane violation, why did he search his property and persons ?

From what I can gather from the video, is that the LEO was looking for drug usage by the cyclist, and he was trying to use lane positioning as his "probable cause".
Old 03-24-13, 12:10 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
From what I can gather from the video, is that the LEO was looking for drug usage by the cyclist, and he was trying to use lane positioning as his "probable cause".
The truth is the cop was pissed that the cyclist was filming his traffic stop. The cop retaliated by fabricating a reason to detain the cyclist and then carried it out by recklessly endangering the cyclists life by using his 4000 lb machine to force him off the road. The cop then proceeded to make up laws that dont exist and violate the cyclists 4th Amendment rights by searching him.

Last edited by CbadRider; 03-25-13 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Removed policial content
Old 03-24-13, 12:38 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

The truth is the cop was pissed that the cyclist was filming his traffic stop. The cop retaliated by fabricating a reason to detain the cyclist and then carried it out by recklessly endangering the cyclists life by using his 4000 lb machine to force him off the road. The cop then proceeded to make up laws that dont exist and violate the cyclists 4th Amendment rights by searching him.
From what I gathered, from what was presented in the first part of the video, I did not get the impression that LEO knew that he was being videoed before or in the first minute of making the traffic stop. The LEO's comment in the beginning, about the cyclist being "high" because of the cyclist's lane positioning, is what I'm going with. You may read more into this LEO's stop of the cyclist, but I'm sticking with what I saw and heard in the beginning moments of the video.

Last edited by CbadRider; 03-25-13 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post
Old 03-24-13, 01:50 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I gathered, from what was presented in the first part of the video, I did not get the impression that LEO knew that he was being videoed before or in the first minute of making the traffic stop. The LEO's comment in the beginning, about the cyclist being "high" because of the cyclist's lane positioning, is what I'm going with. You may read more into this LEO's stop of the cyclist, but I'm sticking with what I saw and heard in the beginning moments of the video.
The videographer is well known to police and widely disliked. He is targeted by the police as are many people who film police actions.
Old 03-24-13, 03:18 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
The videographer is well known to police and widely disliked. He is targeted by the police as are many people who film police actions.
Seems to me the person in this vid and you both have a problem with authority . The fact a lawyer would even take a case to court for it being a first admendment right to flip off a police officer show how low lawyers will go for money .
My sister in law is a correction officer in one county my mother in law a retired corrections officer in another county and a friend I have known since childhood is a deputy . I know a lot of officers . for every "bad cop" there are twenty good ones just trying to make a difference In my experiance if the videographer is widely disliked there is probably a good reason for it
The officer tone was polite at the start, the videogragher was rude vulgur and disrespectful from the start which shows low class and poor upbringing. But that is common from most people who label themselves as community activist.

It is a sad picture of our society when every bad thing shows up on on film and you never see the thousands of time officers do good .
In 1997 when I got to the car accident my 17 year old son died in, A 6'5" 240# tough as nails ex-marine state patrolman came to me . He was apoligizing and crying because he tried his best and just couldn't save our son so don't give me that crap that most "cops are trying to voilate your constitutional rights fact is alot of them are vetrans who have offered their life to protect you rights
Roy
Old 03-24-13, 03:35 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by plumberroy
....... the videogragher was rude vulgur and disrespectful from the start.....

Not in the beginning as I see it, and the cyclist saying, "you all good" and "no" did not warrant the type of action exhibited by the LEO. After the type of stop that the LEO made, the rude, vulgar, and disrespect that LEO garnered wasn't unexpected.
Old 03-24-13, 03:56 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to me the person in this vid and you both have a problem with authority . The fact a lawyer would even take a case to court for it being a first admendment right to flip off a police officer show how low lawyers will go for money .
My sister in law is a correction officer in one county my mother in law a retired corrections officer in another county and a friend I have known since childhood is a deputy . I know a lot of officers . for every "bad cop" there are twenty good ones just trying to make a difference In my experiance if the videographer is widely disliked there is probably a good reason for it
The officer tone was polite at the start, the videogragher was rude vulgur and disrespectful from the start which shows low class and poor upbringing. But that is common from most people who label themselves as community activist.
Law enforcement and their cheerleaders are generally no friend of the US Constitution.

If you dont like the constitution then work to change it. In the mean time law enforcement and the government is forced to abide by it.

Police hate transparency because they OFTEN violate the law and violate citizens constitutional protections. Police do everything in their powers to infringe upon citizens rights to free press because it risks exposing police misconduct and violations of the law.
Old 03-24-13, 04:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
After the type of stop that the LEO made, the rude, vulgar, and disrespect that LEO garnered wasn't unexpected.
Certainly not unexpected from rude, vulgar and disrespectful people; especially from people who are proud and boastful about being unnecessarily rude, vulgar and disrespectful. Must help make them feel like heroic freedom fighters, just like in counter-culture comics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Freedom Fighter.jpg (82.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-24-13, 05:03 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Law enforcement and their cheerleaders are generally no friend of the US Constitution.

If you dont like the constitution then work to change it. In the mean time law enforcement and the government is forced to abide by it.

Police hate transparency because they OFTEN violate the law and violate citizens constitutional protections. Police do everything in their powers to infringe upon citizens rights to free press because it risks exposing police misconduct and violations of the law.
I have never have a police officer give me a hard time that I didn't earn and even then they made sure I was aware of my rights . Outside of your baiting tactics how many officers do you interact with ? On the other hand "activist" often try to voilate my right to free speech anytime my veiw doesn't agree with what they are spewing . The vast majority of "activist" spouting off about constutional rights don't have a clue what the conitution says because they have never actually read it . People use profanity every other word because they aren't smart enough to carry on a reasonable debate in a civil manor . Are there bad cops, you bet they are. But the good ones will bust them any chance they get . You are one of the group that whine any time you get called on you actions. yet won't say thank you when you get help
Of course I'm in fly over country where all the hicks that work hard and are law abiding live
If you are so worried about transparency why aren't you following our elected officials around most of them are as transparent as a foot of red clay mud
Roy
Old 03-24-13, 05:35 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

No counter culture comics involved in this particular incident, just an LEO making a poor and asinine traffic stop, setting his department up for more legal issues to deal with.
Old 03-24-13, 05:42 PM
Chief

Bikes: SR, Bianchi, Raleigh, Bertin, Kona, Schwinn, Eisentraut, Zunow, Columbine, Naked, Nishiki, Phillips, Specialized, Giant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It is a sad picture of our society when every bad thing shows up on on film and you never see the thousands of time officers do good .
In 1997 when I got to the car accident my 17 year old son died in, A 6'5" 240# tough as nails ex-marine state patrolman came to me . He was apoligizing and crying because he tried his best and just couldn't save our son so don't give me that crap that most "cops are trying to voilate your constitutional rights fact is alot of them are vetrans who have offered their life to protect you rights
Roy
We pay these LEO (public servants) very well to keep a polite (unemotional) tone regardless of how rude & vulgar the citizen becomes. We pay these public servants especially well to make sure their tone remains polite & does not escalate in a way that prods the citizen into anger & vulgarity. In other words, it's the cops job to handle the situation (within the constitution).
Old 03-24-13, 05:52 PM
plumberroy

I don't think very well descibes their pay my friend who is deputy has to work a lot of overtime to match what I make with very little overtime.
Roy
Old 03-24-13, 05:59 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think very well descibes their pay my friend who is deputy has to work a lot of overtime to match what I make with very little overtime.
Roy

The officer depicted in this video is LA County sheriffs. The average salarly for a deputy is $80,000 plus benifits. How much do you make ?
Old 03-24-13, 06:06 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never have a police officer give me a hard time that I didn't earn and even then they made sure I was aware of my rights . Outside of your baiting tactics how many officers do you interact with ? On the other hand "activist" often try to voilate my right to free speech anytime my veiw doesn't agree with what they are spewing . The vast majority of "activist" spouting off about constutional rights don't have a clue what the conitution says because they have never actually read it . People use profanity every other word because they aren't smart enough to carry on a reasonable debate in a civil manor . Are there bad cops, you bet they are. But the good ones will bust them any chance they get . You are one of the group that whine any time you get called on you actions. yet won't say thank you when you get help
Of course I'm in fly over country where all the hicks that work hard and are law abiding live
If you are so worried about transparency why aren't you following our elected officials around most of them are as transparent as a foot of red clay mud
Roy

Monitoring and filming government officials in their official duties in public is not "baiting". Baiting is when certain people place bicycles next to grocery stores and sit in their cars with handcuffs and wait until someone steals it to arrest them for felonies. Baiting is when certain people get an attractive, scandtily clad woman to walk down a street at midnight and entice men to have sex for money and then arrest them and confiscate their car and sell it. Baiting is when certain people send minors into liquor stores and approach citizens minding their own business and ask them to buy alcohol for them. Baiting is when certain people drive a car to a low income neighboorhood and draw attention to it and leave the keys in the ignition and then leave and wait until someone takes it and then arrest them for a felony and make a TV show about it. Those are examples of "baiting".

Performing a vital function of goverment oversight and monitoring of public servants in public places is not baiting, its FREEDOM OF THE PRESS which is a RIGHT that police cant infringe or THEY become the criminals.
Old 03-24-13, 06:11 PM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts

This is what the American Police State does to stiffle free press and transparency. The government loves to watch you but they dont tolerae citizens watching them.
At 2:27 the cyclist said, "go ahead and check my back pocket."
Old 03-24-13, 07:10 PM
plumberroy

Monitoring and filming government officials in their official duties in public is not "baiting". Baiting is when certain people place bicycles next to grocery stores and sit in their cars with handcuffs and wait until someone steals it to arrest them for felonies. Baiting is when certain people get an attractive, scandtily clad woman to walk down a street at midnight and entice men to have sex for money and then arrest them and confiscate their car and sell it. Baiting is when certain people send minors into liquor stores and approach citizens minding their own business and ask them to buy alcohol for them. Baiting is when certain people drive a car to a low income neighboorhood and draw attention to it and leave the keys in the ignition and then leave and wait until someone takes it and then arrest them for a felony and make a TV show about it. Those are examples of "baiting".

Performing a vital function of goverment oversight and monitoring of public servants in public places is not baiting, its FREEDOM OF THE PRESS which is a RIGHT that police cant infringe or THEY become the criminals.
Everything you list is not a problem for any law abiding person You are blaming lack of self control on some one else. I can and have walk by a thousand bike and not Taken the first one I have walked buy many scantily clad women with out offering them money for sex many of them wanting me to. Many times I have walked by nice cars with keys in them never stole one. I was a co owner of a carry out in the early 80's and have told many minors and people with no I.D.'s no. I have told kids no on buying beer or cigerettes. It isn't hard to follow the rules. A thief is a thief better he is stealing a planted bike by the police and get caught than the thief stealing a bike some one worked all summer to buy and getting away with it. It is now clear you are one who thinks you shouldn't be acountable for your actions and the world owes you what ever you want so I won't waste any more time on you
Roy
Old 03-24-13, 07:44 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everything you list is not a problem for any law abiding person
Then filming a police officer in public should not be a problem for any law abiding police officer.

Why then do police resort to the tactics that they do ?

Filming a government official performing their official duties is a constitutional right.

The officer in this video broke the law and violated the cyclists constitutional rights (in addition to recklessly endangering his life).

You said the cyclist was "baiting the police officer. Baiting is defined as "An enticement; a temptation". Are you suggesting that police are predisposed to violating citizens rights and that when you dangle a videopgraher in front of them that they cant resist their temptation to violate that person ?

When police dangle a bicycle in front of citizens and the citizen steals it they go to jail.

When a videographer "baits" police, the videographer is violated.

Double standard and injustice.
Old 03-24-13, 09:54 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is what the American Police State does to stiffle free press and transparency. The government loves to watch you but they dont tolerae citizens watching them.
Old 03-24-13, 10:03 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Roy
Roy, First my condolences to you about your son. I know that not all cops are bad. I was stopped once for weaving. I wasn't drunk. Making a right turn that has a slight hill, an officer pulled me over, thinking I might be drunk. He gave me a breathalyzer test. I knew I would pass the test. Then I thanked him for caring.

But cops like the one in the video, are woefully misinformed about the law. Just as lawyers need to keep up on the law, police officers, should too. So they don't go 'full steam' on a traffic stop misquoting the law in the process.
Old 03-25-13, 07:55 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
If the cop truely stopped the cyclist for a lane violation then why didnt he ticket him ?

If the cop truely stopped the cyclist for a lane violation, why did he search his property and persons ?
Another question.

Why did you lie about the "ramming"?

You want people to take your side but the support you are providing is incompetent (the video is terrible and incomplete). And then you lie about the circumstances.
Old 03-25-13, 07:57 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
What I take offense to, is that the LEO used lane positioning in his deducing that the cyclist might be using drugs, and depending on my level of exertion, I may not be up for holding an in depth conversation on level ground.
You are mind-reading again. You really have no idea how he might have "deduced" anything.
Old 03-25-13, 08:23 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You are mind-reading again. You really have no idea how he might have "deduced" anything.

You need to listen to the video again, the LEO implied that the cyclist might be "high" because of the cyclist's choice in lane positioning, and the LEO was in the process of "checking" on the cyclist's well being. Whether there was an ulterior motive, in the LEO's case, for making the traffic stop, would be definite case of mind reading.
Old 03-25-13, 10:17 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This reminds me of the religious groups who claim holiness from being persecuted; and so they have become adept at engineering the persecution through outrageous behavour.
Old 03-25-13, 10:42 AM
yak
Zircon Encrusted Tweezer

Bikes: Pivot Switchblade, SantaCruz Tallboy, SantaCruz Solo, Specialized Fatboy, Trek ProjectOne Madone, Fuji Altamira CX 1.1, Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"You ever hear the saying "you run into an @sshole in the morning, you ran into an @sshole. You run into @ssholes all day, you're the @sshole"
Old 03-25-13, 10:47 AM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matariki
This reminds me of the religious groups who claim holiness from being persecuted; and so they have become adept at engineering the persecution through outrageous behavour.

Videographers, like religious people, have a constitutional right to be free from government infringment of free press and prohibitions of their free exercise.

In the video I posted, the police are the criminals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.