Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trangia Burner Question

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trangia Burner Question

Old 05-02-13, 08:50 AM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trangia Burner Question

Hello all.

I am screwing around with the trangia stove this morning in the kitchen and noticed the flame is not blue like/ transparaent that I have looked at before in other peopls trangia. This is the first time I have used it, brand new and using denatured alcohol.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trangia.jpg (96.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-02-13, 10:11 AM
dellwilson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Unless it's puting off soot, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're using methyl alcohol, you should be fine. (I was recently on a tour with a guy that mistakenly bought Coleman fuel instead of alcohol. After one day, he had soot on everything he had. It would have driven me bonkers, but he went the entire week like that.)
Old 05-02-13, 12:24 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Trangia Burner Question

I've never thought of trangias flame being pure transparent blue except just at the small holes around the burner... Yellowy, orange, sure.

I'm guessing, but maybe there's some residue from the manufacturing process? In which case it will disappear.

Try different brands of alcohol. Email trangia? I wouldn't worry at all, the fuel is probably burning with the colour it's meant to.

The most beautiful alcohol flame I've ever seen was over a lit glass of Sambuca with a single coffee bean in it... So beautiful that I watched it for too long, then burnt my lips on the hot glass!
Old 05-02-13, 12:43 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
As a prophylactic measure, can we just go ahead and lock this thread now? Btw, your flame color is fine.
Old 05-02-13, 01:39 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I've never seen yellow flames like that from any of my alcohol stoves, but I have only used pepsi can stoves of one sort or another. Does it boil water in a normal amount of time? Does it leave soot on the pot? If it puts out enough heat and doesn't blacken the pot I wouldn't worry.
Old 05-02-13, 01:47 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I've never seen yellow flames like that from any of my alcohol stoves, but I have only used pepsi can stoves of one sort or another. Does it boil water in a normal amount of time? Does it leave soot on the pot? If it puts out enough heat and doesn't blacken the pot I wouldn't worry.
No soot at and boiled around the 4 min mark I believe.
Old 05-02-13, 02:08 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Is it jetting properly? Check and clean the small holes with a pin.
Old 05-02-13, 02:47 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
No soot at and boiled around the 4 min mark I believe.
I wouldn't worry then.
Old 05-02-13, 02:56 PM
Gotte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I remember, Trangias need a windshield to lessen the available oxygen. Burning without a windshield will give a yellow flame because the oxygen is free flowing. Used with a standard Trangia windshield (the enclosed tyoe with the holes), will lower the intake of oxgen and give a blue flame.
I spent ages Messing around with home made windshields, and when you finally get the venting right, it does turn the flame blue.
Old 05-02-13, 04:10 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Don't worry about it at all. Get a tin of Klean Strip Green denatured ethanol. What ever color you see is the color it is suppose to be. Klean Strip is the purest alcohol on the US market. Unfortunately federal specifications for denatured alcohol are extremely loose. I have pulled the MSDS (material safety data sheets) on various brands of DA and found some to contain less than 25% ethanol, and it is still legal to call such chemical brews denatured alcohol. You can also try Yellow Heet (methanol). It has a bluer and very clean flame. It is not as hot and efficient as ethanol but is is cheap and readily available. I use it on tour any time I can't find DA.

- Gordon Hempton: One Square inch of Silence
Old 05-02-13, 05:45 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Western Flyer
Don't worry about it at all. Get a tin of Klean Strip Green denatured ethanol. What ever color you see is the color it is suppose to be. Klean Strip is the purest alcohol on the US market. Unfortunately federal specifications for denatured alcohol are extremely loose. I have pulled the MSDS (material safety data sheets) on various brands of DA and found some to contain less than 25% ethanol, and it is still legal to call such chemical brews denatured alcohol. You can also try Yellow Heet (methanol). It has a bluer and very clean flame. It is not as hot and efficient as ethanol but is is cheap and readily available. I use it on tour any time I can't find DA.
I used that same kind today.
Old 05-02-13, 05:46 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gotte
From what I remember, Trangias need a windshield to lessen the available oxygen. Burning without a windshield will give a yellow flame because the oxygen is free flowing. Used with a standard Trangia windshield (the enclosed tyoe with the holes), will lower the intake of oxgen and give a blue flame.
I spent ages Messing around with home made windshields, and when you finally get the venting right, it does turn the flame blue.
i used their windshield. Perhaps it's because I was under a commercial hood system at work.
Old 05-02-13, 05:47 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Is it jetting properly? Check and clean the small holes with a pin.
Good call out. I'll check but it is brand new.
Old 05-02-13, 10:07 PM
spinner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked my Chinese knock off Trangia style burner. I use methly hydrate and it burns with a yellowish flame and blue around the burner ports. This was also under the kitchen range hood. Perhaps the colour come from whatever they are using to denature the alcohol.

Anyway, the flame seems normal to me.

Cheers
Old 05-03-13, 01:29 PM
jimmyhughes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It looks like your Trangia is fine...

There's just not much that can go wrong with them.
It's prolly the simplest, most functional piece of equipment ever designed.
and sooo expensive too!
Old 05-03-13, 02:50 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I do not use alcohol stoves, but I have used alcohol to prime my kerosene stove. For that I prefer methanol and to get it I buy yellow bottles of heet. What is your alcohol source?
Old 05-03-13, 03:02 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not use alcohol stoves, but I have used alcohol to prime my kerosene stove. For that I prefer methanol and to get it I buy yellow bottles of heet. What is your alcohol source?
Post number 10.
Old 05-03-13, 07:08 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I find that when I use a lower level of alcohol, like isopropyl, it burns with an orange flame . Denatured has no flame that I can see in daytime, or blue at night, using a penny alcohol burner in Coghlan stove.
Old 05-06-13, 02:43 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This morning I was using my trangia to make an omelette but this time I noticed soot on the outside bottom of the pan. Why is this? I am using a good quality fuel (same as in post number 10).
Old 05-06-13, 07:20 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
This morning I was using my trangia to make an omelette but this time I noticed soot on the outside bottom of the pan. Why is this? I am using a good quality fuel (same as in post number 10).
I don't know, but a lot of conditions can lead to soot formation, including moisture and maybe humidity levelsin the fuel. Usually, I associate soot with 91% Isoprpyl alcohol .