Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hike and bike footwear for long distance riders?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20, 05:36 AM
Amoroh

Bikes: 3 touring bikes and one Fix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hik and bike footware for long distance riders?

hi, what footware do u ware for long distance tour? and why?
Old 02-12-20, 05:52 AM
Amoroh

Bikes: 3 touring bikes and one Fix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi, what footwear do u wear for long distance tour? and why? not only biking but also doing alot of hiking with and without bike?
Old 02-12-20, 06:26 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Shimano XM-9 nice looking SPD Hiking boot with Vibram soles. Done some long hikes in them. If you are walking for more than half a day it's worth taking the cleats of and putting the sole covers back on.
Old 02-12-20, 06:29 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
New Balance trail runners with Superfeet inserts.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-12-20, 06:36 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Shimano XM-9
because it's an spd hiking boot. Vibram sole. Looks nice walking in cities.
last a long time.
comfortable.
take off the cleats and put the covers back on if you are hiking for more than a few hours.
Old 02-12-20, 06:53 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Biking I use bike shoes, mostly use Keen Commuter 4 sandals (now discontinued) or some Serfas shoes, both of which use SPD cleats. The SPD cleats make these shoes less than ideal for hiking.

Hiking, Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes. If my bike shoes are soaked from rain or if I am on really rough rocky terrain with my bike, I will use the hiking shoes instead of the bike shoes on the bike.

Pedals, usually Shimano M324 or occasionally Shimano A530 pedals, both of these models have a flat platform side that I can use my hiking shoes and the other side works with cleats.
Old 02-12-20, 07:04 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Does Hike & Bike mean needing to hike with bike or leave bike and hike??
If leaving bike then it makes sense to have two pairs and a backpack to carry the pair now wearing.
Otherwise the best dual purpose shoe.
Not sure what discussion option was asked.
Old 02-12-20, 07:12 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,589 Times in 3,779 Posts
Merged duplicate threads.
Old 02-12-20, 09:50 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
For mtbing and off road stuff I use my trail running shoes and running gaiters, Solomon speedcross 4's.

For road touring with moderate walking (where riding is the main focus) I use a cleated shoe like the Peal Izumi X Alp.

For mixed bag walking and biking (with more walking) I use a good quality leather walking shoe.

I usually only take one pair of shoes on tour (the ones I'm wearing).
Old 02-12-20, 10:18 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Biking I use bike shoes, mostly use Keen Commuter 4 sandals (now discontinued) or some Serfas shoes, both of which use SPD cleats. The SPD cleats make these shoes less than ideal for hiking.

Hiking, Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes. If my bike shoes are soaked from rain or if I am on really rough rocky terrain with my bike, I will use the hiking shoes instead of the bike shoes on the bike.

Pedals, usually Shimano M324 or occasionally Shimano A530 pedals, both of these models have a flat platform side that I can use my hiking shoes and the other side works with cleats.
the A530 are discontinued and replaced with EH500
Old 02-12-20, 10:28 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I wear the same footwear whether I'm cycling or not. Toe-clips accommodate any footwear (or even lack thereof).
Old 02-12-20, 11:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by nun
the A530 are discontinued and replaced with EH500
I was unaware, thank you. That said, my A530 will always be A530.

The EH530 look like a significant improvement, the A530 could be a bit slippery, especially when wet. A friend of mine had his foot slip off of an A530, his hospital stay was a few days.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 02-12-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-12-20, 11:43 AM
veloz

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Pearl X Alps as they’re good on bike and passable on hiking. Some trips I carry a pair of Teva sandals for off bike wear.
Old 02-12-20, 06:53 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I was unaware, thank you. That said, my A530 will always be A530.

The EH530 look like a significant improvement, the A530 could be a bit slippery, especially when wet. A friend of mine had his foot slip off of an A530, his hospital stay was a few days.
Yes in rain the A530 flat side was slippery. The EH500 has set screws to provide grip on the flat side. I needed some pedals for a new bike recently as so ended up with the EH500 and they look good.

The shoes I use are Shimano SH-M089L with recessed SPD cleats and they are ok on and off the bike.

Last edited by nun; 02-12-20 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-12-20, 08:03 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
I use sandals on platform pedals. Like others above, I only take one pair of footwear. In the past I've used flip-flops on platforms too, when in warmer locations. My toes like to feel the breeze. In winter they like water-proof socks which are also generally nice and warm.
Likes For tspoon:
Old 02-12-20, 08:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
What did you wear during your tour through Tibet, India, Pakistan, etc.?
Old 02-12-20, 08:49 PM
gerryl

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Like others above I only take one pair of footwear. If the tour is long enough and the weather conditions change I simply dump whatever I had and purchase whatever I need.
Weather permitting - sandals
Cooler weather - whatever keeps my feet warm and dry.
I use platform pedals.
Old 02-12-20, 10:10 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
New Balance trail runners
Interesting, that's what I've settled on too, both for daily wear and distance rides on platform pedals (not exactly going to clip in on a unicycle, though it's been done).

But they don't seem to last long, and I especially worry what will happen if I have to ride through rain or wade through mud in a way I've so far avoided by picking day rides according to weather.

Been wondering about five ten impact highs but not yet had a chance to try any on.
Old 02-12-20, 11:11 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I used to wear five tens, really liked them, but then I got caught in the rain and they soaked up water like a sponge and took days to dry out.
I switched to Solomon Gore Tex trainers
Old 02-13-20, 12:06 AM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
I've been wearing these mesh type shoe.
If it rains then I take my socks off and just let the water run through.
Works good for swimming in rivers, also.
They work well in hot weather (with socks). Lots of ventilation.
I use platform pedals with those little spike things sticking out of them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-13-20, 05:44 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Interesting, that's what I've settled on too, both for daily wear and distance rides on platform pedals (not exactly going to clip in on a unicycle, though it's been done).

But they don't seem to last long, and I especially worry what will happen if I have to ride through rain or wade through mud in a way I've so far avoided by picking day rides according to weather.

Been wondering about five ten impact highs but not yet had a chance to try any on.
I only use New Balance because they have an extra wide size, and there's a store near my home called Big 5 that routinely has them on sale for under $50. I have no brand loyalty to them.
You're right, they don't last long and it bothers me to throw shoes away every season.

I came back to bike touring after a long distance hiking "career", and the NB runners were the perfect shoe for that. The minimalist ethic I learned on the trails led me to downsize the number of shoes I have, and the bike shoes were second to go, after work shoes. I'm now down to just trail runners and ski touring boots.
Old 02-13-20, 07:38 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Shimano XM-9
because it's an spd hiking boot. Vibram sole. Looks nice walking in cities.
last a long time.
comfortable.
take off the cleats and put the covers back on if you are hiking for more than a few hours.
I really have to disagree with you on this one. Cleat bolts are notorious for loosening after initial tightening. I've been on top of mine with sone loosening over the years, but toured once with someone whose one bolt came out, and couldn't release his shoe then. We luckily found the bolt on the ground, and I was able to undo the second loose bolt somehow, but now we had the cleat in the pedal.
luckily I could borrow some pliers from a store and get it out, and was able to then reinstall the cleat to shoe, threads not too damaged luckily.
So it worked out, but with lots of luck.

I also have one cleat slightly turned askew, I've got a funny knee, so don't like the idea of repositioning it again.
I'm picky about all fine adjustments on my bike, seat height, seat position, so never want to change things once sweet spot is achieved. Long hard days in the saddle on a heavy touring bike require everything just right.

anyway, the bolt loosening factor is a real one, but yes it would be nice not to have cleats grating on rocks, I get it.
Old 02-13-20, 08:08 AM
Trevtassie

Originally Posted by djb
I really have to disagree with you on this one. Cleat bolts are notorious for loosening after initial tightening. I've been on top of mine with sone loosening over the years, but toured once with someone whose one bolt came out, and couldn't release his shoe then. We luckily found the bolt on the ground, and I was able to undo the second loose bolt somehow, but now we had the cleat in the pedal.
luckily I could borrow some pliers from a store and get it out, and was able to then reinstall the cleat to shoe, threads not too damaged luckily.
So it worked out, but with lots of luck.

I also have one cleat slightly turned askew, I've got a funny knee, so don't like the idea of repositioning it again.
I'm picky about all fine adjustments on my bike, seat height, seat position, so never want to change things once sweet spot is achieved. Long hard days in the saddle on a heavy touring bike require everything just right.

anyway, the bolt loosening factor is a real one, but yes it would be nice not to have cleats grating on rocks, I get it.
Dunno about you but my XM-9s have a nice big imprint of each cleat exactly where they fit. So they slot straight back in place, in fact unless they were being moved a lot they will go back into the same place every time and that place is already compressed.
And cleat bolts come loose on tour, that's a given. It's basic physics, lots of leverage on two small bolts not very far apart . I usually check them when I'm checking rack bolts, maybe one or twice a week. And like rack bolts I carry a spare or two just in case.
Old 02-13-20, 09:00 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
You know, I think we've already touched on this topic before, I seem to remember it...
as you say, it's certainly doable, but I do think that a good majority of people never think of checking stuff for tightness. I think all of my riding friends never give a second thought to it, nor little maintenance really.
that's why I brought up my story, just more of a reminder of the importance of checking bolt tightness regularly.
on tour I also do the "once a week " bike go over, but hardly ever think of it with my commuter bikes....
Old 02-13-20, 09:22 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
I've been wearing these mesh type shoe.
If it rains then I take my socks off and just let the water run through.
Works good for swimming in rivers, also.
They work well in hot weather (with socks). Lots of ventilation.
I use platform pedals with those little spike things sticking out of them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wow! Once it warms up those do look quite tempting for some possible canal towpath tours where either extended rain or flooding are concerns.

Have you had issues with sand getting inside them? Some reviews complain about it going through the mesh - I wouldn't be taking them to the beach and the fines on most trails seem to be either packed or damp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.