Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Need fat bike recommendations

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Old 05-10-21, 07:32 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Me: retired hard core roadie. Always wanted to try mountain biking, but living where you have to haul your bike to the local trail, never could pull the trigger. 2020, wife decides she's had it with living in the burbs and we buy a 22-acre place in the middle of nowhere. Now I'm back to doing what I did as a kid - ranching, chasing tools, etc. I need a utility type bike to roll around the ranch on. We live near a National Wildlife refuge that has some basic trails too. I'm currently rolling around on a Townie. Yes a Townie. Remember, I used to live in the burbs. I've already beat the hell out of that thing here. I need a fat bike that can handle rolling through a pasture with cattle and horse hoof holes. Most normal people would own a 4-wheeler for what I do, for some stupid reason I still want a bike. I see Burley sells fat tire cargo wheel. I can see myself dragging this around loaded with tools.

Any recommendations? The Framed Montana Carbon 27.5 FS Fat Bike came up in my search but then someone bagged on it for being over-priced with mediocre components. I know nothing about MTB components. I'm a roadie. Help me out here.
Old 05-10-21, 07:49 PM
soonerrebel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
Me: retired hard core roadie. Always wanted to try mountain biking, but living where you have to haul your bike to the local trail, never could pull the trigger. 2020, wife decides she's had it with living in the burbs and we buy a 22-acre place in the middle of nowhere. Now I'm back to doing what I did as a kid - ranching, chasing tools, etc. I need a utility type bike to roll around the ranch on. We live near a National Wildlife refuge that has some basic trails too. I'm currently rolling around on a Townie. Yes a Townie. Remember, I used to live in the burbs. I've already beat the hell out of that thing here. I need a fat bike that can handle rolling through a pasture with cattle and horse hoof holes. Most normal people would own a 4-wheeler for what I do, for some stupid reason I still want a bike. I see Burley sells fat tire cargo wheel. I can see myself dragging this around loaded with tools.

Any recommendations? The Framed Montana Carbon 27.5 FS Fat Bike came up in my search but then someone bagged on it for being over-priced with mediocre components. I know nothing about MTB components. I'm a roadie. Help me out here.
I'm also a roadie but just had to have a FAT Bike. Purchased a Salsa Beargrease with Sram components that are comparable to Shimano 105. MTB components have their own hierarchy just like road groups. Was around 3 large and well worth it to me.
Old 05-10-21, 07:58 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soonerrebel
I'm also a roadie but just had to have a FAT Bike. Purchased a Salsa Beargrease with Sram components that are comparable to Shimano 105. MTB components have their own hierarchy just like road groups. Was around 3 large and well worth it to me.
I was just about to edit my original post and add that I had read about the Beargrease (with a Bluto). It's on my shortlist.

The real problem is where do you find a bike in 2021?

Last edited by Doggus; 05-10-21 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-11-21, 09:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
I was just about to edit my original post and add that I had read about the Beargrease (with a Bluto). It's on my shortlist.

The real problem is where do you find a bike in 2021?
Between e-bay, pinkbike, Jenson and a few other online sites...Bikes ARE NOT that hard to find.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...se&category=71
Old 05-11-21, 10:36 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Between e-bay, pinkbike, Jenson and a few other online sites...Bikes ARE NOT that hard to find.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/lis...se&category=71

Never heard of pinkbike. I've scoured craigslist (searchtempest) and FB marketplace. I keep seeing "fat bike has reached max popularity and now people are dumping them". Not what I'm seeing. Even the retailers are SOLD OUT on most everything: salsa, canyon etc...
Old 05-11-21, 11:41 PM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
I'm also a long-time roadie that just got into fat biking at the beginning of this year. Since my wife and I were originally going to spend much of our retirement time in the southwest over the winters, I never really considered the idea of purchasing a fat bike. Long story short, since the pandemic basically put a kibosh on our retirement plans, I became increasingly more interested in beating our Wisconsin winters by riding in the snow on many of our local off-road trails. When I first started looking for a bike, I was mostly concerned about purchasing an intermediate model that had decent components but, most importantly, it needed to be a good fit regardless of the brand. I finally ended up with a 2021 Salsa Mukluk Deore, and I've been very happy with it! As it turns out, I enjoyed this past winter far more than I have in many years. Even my wife decided to purchase a Salsa Beargrease after seeing how much fun I was having, and she's now hooked, too!

At any rate, while there aren't that many new bikes available at the moment, I do agree with prj71 that used fat bikes "aren't that hard to find" if you're patient while looking around enough. Wishing you the best in finding one!
Old 05-12-21, 06:57 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Never heard of pinkbike. I've scoured craigslist (searchtempest) and FB marketplace. I keep seeing "fat bike has reached max popularity and now people are dumping them". Not what I'm seeing. Even the retailers are SOLD OUT on most everything: salsa, canyon etc...
Craigslist is on the outs. I wouldn't even bother.
Old 05-17-21, 09:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Check out the Surly Big Fat Dummy if you want a fat bike that can also haul stuff.
Old 05-25-21, 05:41 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Fat bikes are out there used... in some places

I have the good fortune of living in the Twin Cities, a cycling hot bed and fat bike Mecca. There are ALWAYS fatties listed on CL (I agree with the above poster that it's in the way out,and my experience is that the cycling posters on CL are less reliable than those on DEDICATED FB cycling groups).

I would be happy to keep an eye on the market up here for you. Shipping is easy and relatively inexpensive, about $100, and if you buy well you can always resell for more than you paid (I'm on my sixth fat bike, and with selling low and buying high, my wife and I, who's on her second) are riding for free.

And it would be well to decide whether you want to pull a trailer (Y Freedom out of the UK is the best I've found for general hauling) or, as mentioned above, get something like a Big Dummy (Surly).
Old 05-28-21, 07:46 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revcp
I have the good fortune of living in the Twin Cities, a cycling hot bed and fat bike Mecca. There are ALWAYS fatties listed on CL (I agree with the above poster that it's in the way out,and my experience is that the cycling posters on CL are less reliable than those on DEDICATED FB cycling groups).

I would be happy to keep an eye on the market up here for you. Shipping is easy and relatively inexpensive, about $100, and if you buy well you can always resell for more than you paid (I'm on my sixth fat bike, and with selling low and buying high, my wife and I, who's on her second) are riding for free.

And it would be well to decide whether you want to pull a trailer (Y Freedom out of the UK is the best I've found for general hauling) or, as mentioned above, get something like a Big Dummy (Surly).
Thanks. Maybe I'll start trolling the CL up there and see if I can get one shipped. It's unbelievable how nothing is available from the bike makers these days. I just missed a deal on a 2018 Canyon Dude shipped from MI. Didn't move fast enough
Old 05-28-21, 10:06 AM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
ICAN https://icancycling.com/collections/us-warehouse shows their frames in stock in the US. The frame will run you around $600 + shipping. Then you spend as much as you want on the components. They also sell nice carbon fat bike wheels. I bought the wheels built on DT Swiss hubs and so far they have been good. If you buy the wheels, they will have to come from China.

Last edited by DangerousDanR; 05-29-21 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-28-21, 10:23 AM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
In 2017 I purchased a Felt DD70 for around $1250 CAD and have really liked it

for off-season riding in Canada. With a solid rack and triple cranks it is a real mule. I run about 8psi in the Schwalbe Jumbo Jims in winter. Tires are a significant part of the price of fat bikes. Choose good ones.