Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tires on Road bike. Yuck!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless Tires on Road bike. Yuck!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 10:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodrigo Kenobi
I'll keep a lookout for those. They were in fact my first choice based on the research I've been doing for the last few days, but they seem to be very hard to find, especially the 28mm ones. Also, quite a lot more expensive than the GP5k.
Lordgun used to have the best price on them, but I see that they've gone up everywhere since the early spring.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-29-21, 11:30 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
About those GP5K TL tires.... A word of warning regarding Continental GP5000TL Basically, they say that the tires are way too tight, to the point that they're discouraging the usage of this tire if you have carbon rims, due to fear of damage caused by excessive force on tire levers.

Well..... I have carbon rims, and I'm thinking of switching to tubeless when my current GP5K clinchers wear out. And since the TL version seem to be highly regarded and reasonably priced, I was pretty set on them, but now I'm having second thoughts. Does anyone have experience with both the TL and non-TL versions? I know my clincher tires are tight, but I can still mount them without tools.
I've put on at least 10 GP5000TL tires on three different carbon wheel sets. Tools were not required on the 32mm tires, but I did use plastic levers on the 28mm tires. The wheels were all Roval C38.

If the 25mm tire were equally more difficult to install than the 28mm was compared to the 32mm, I would agree they would be very difficult to install.
Old 06-29-21, 11:58 AM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I've put on at least 10 GP5000TL tires on three different carbon wheel sets. Tools were not required on the 32mm tires, but I did use plastic levers on the 28mm tires. The wheels were all Roval C38.

If the 25mm tire were equally more difficult to install than the 28mm was compared to the 32mm, I would agree they would be very difficult to install.
Interesting. My 28mm clincher GP5k's were indeed a bit of a struggle to mount on the first time, the last time I had to do it it was easier. That last time was on the side of the road after a puncture, of course. Hence my newfound desire to switch to tubeless
Old 06-29-21, 02:34 PM
tedder987

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
For my last installs (GP5K TL) the 32 was harder than the 28, but I had had the foresight to have the 28 mounted on a spare rim for about a month where the 32 only had a few days to relax before using it for real. This was on Roval Terra C rims FWIW
Old 06-29-21, 05:55 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Lordgun used to have the best price on them, but I see that they've gone up everywhere since the early spring.
Lordgun still has the best price and they are in stock and have very fast shipping.

Old 06-30-21, 11:25 AM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Bikes: Domane 2.0, CrossRip LTD

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out the recipe for success with tubeless...
  1. Finish Line sealant wouldn't completely seal the punctures I had. My GP5000TLs would cry fluid and lose air pressure overnight.
  2. Peaty's sealant was better, but then I got a puncture in a 25c tire that didn't completely seal. I tried a Stan's DART on it, but that exposed another issue (the wheel I was sold had the wrong rim strip) and the whole system fell apart (deflated.)
  3. Now I'm using Stan's sealant in a backup set of Bontrager AW2 24c tires on Paradigm wheels (19.5mm inner width) while I plan my next move.
I'm done fighting with GP5000TLs and would like to find a set of 28c Bontrager R3 TLR tires to try (I hear the puncture resistance is better,) but most stores are out of stock. I may just give up and go back to tubes for a while, but tubeless hasn't left me on the roadside yet like tubes did a handful of times. I just want it all to work like on the GCN advertisements said it would.
Old 06-30-21, 11:48 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaughtto
I just want it all to work like on the GCN advertisements said it would.
I want life to work like all the advertisements said it would.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-30-21, 12:08 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Skaughtto
I'm still trying to figure out the recipe for success with tubeless...
  1. Finish Line sealant wouldn't completely seal the punctures I had. My GP5000TLs would cry fluid and lose air pressure overnight.
  2. Peaty's sealant was better, but then I got a puncture in a 25c tire that didn't completely seal. I tried a Stan's DART on it, but that exposed another issue (the wheel I was sold had the wrong rim strip) and the whole system fell apart (deflated.)
  3. Now I'm using Stan's sealant in a backup set of Bontrager AW2 24c tires on Paradigm wheels (19.5mm inner width) while I plan my next move.
I'm done fighting with GP5000TLs and would like to find a set of 28c Bontrager R3 TLR tires to try (I hear the puncture resistance is better,) but most stores are out of stock. I may just give up and go back to tubes for a while, but tubeless hasn't left me on the roadside yet like tubes did a handful of times. I just want it all to work like on the GCN advertisements said it would.
Orange Seal.
Old 07-01-21, 11:44 AM
Rodrigo Kenobi

Bikes: Trek Domane AL 5 Disc 2022

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 19 Posts
Caffelatex Effeto Mariposa

Orange Seal.
Any experience with that Caffelatex Effetto Mariposa stuff? Orange Seal is nowhere to be found in my region, and importing it is prohibitively expensive.
Old 07-01-21, 11:53 AM
WhyFi

Any experience with that Caffelatex Effetto Mariposa stuff? Orange Seal is nowhere to be found in my region, and importing it is prohibitively expensive.
No experience, sorry. OS was the first that I've tried and it's never given me a reason to look elsewhere, so it's also the only sealant that I've ever tried.
Old 07-01-21, 03:50 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

So I ended up staying Tubeless and got the Pirelli P Zero Race TLR's. A little more of a struggle to get them on my Aeolus Pro 3v's, but did not require any tools and I did not strain my hands. They seated with a floor pump, a little Orange Seal...boom done, ready to ride. Now if the perpetual rain we have been having would end. 10 Day out look is rain everyday, all day on and off....... Been like this for he last 3 weeks. So tired of it. Still going to go out on Saturday, I tired of riding in-doors.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 07-04-21 at 08:17 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 07-04-21, 05:41 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Got my first puncture today. Was washing the bike and noticed a strand of wire in the tire. I pulled it and spun the tire hoping that the sealant would seal the hole. No joy. Pulled the tire and washed out the sealant and patched it.

Tire went back on without trouble and beads seated with ease.

probably time to pick up a tire plugging tool. I’m open to suggestions.
Old 07-04-21, 06:28 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by GBK233
Got my first puncture today. Was washing the bike and noticed a strand of wire in the tire. I pulled it and spun the tire hoping that the sealant would seal the hole. No joy. Pulled the tire and washed out the sealant and patched it.

A wire? It would have to be a pretty damn thick wire for a halfway decent sealant to not plug it. What sealant are you using? What pressure?
Old 07-04-21, 06:29 PM
GBK233

A wire? It would have to be a pretty damn thick wire for a halfway decent sealant to not plug it. What sealant are you using? What pressure?
Muc-off sealant. 75psi. Wire was on a severe angle…so the hole was a touch elongated.
Old 07-04-21, 06:32 PM
WhyFi

Muc-off sealant. 75psi.
No experience with Muc-Off, sounds like it's not doing too well, though. I'd pick up some Orange Seal.

What kind of wire? One from an automobile tire?
Old 07-04-21, 06:37 PM
GBK233

No experience with Muc-Off, sounds like it's not doing too well, though. I'd pick up some Orange Seal.

What kind of wire? One from an automobile tire?
Not from auto tire. Stiff piece of wire. Thin, but pierced on severe angle.

I have a large bottle of Muc-off….$35. Will wait for the next puncture to see if it works. If it doesn’t work….I’ll chuck it and try orange seal or stans.
Old 07-04-21, 06:43 PM
jaxgtr

DynaPlug is what you are looking for....

Old 07-04-21, 07:11 PM
WhyFi

Not from auto tire. Stiff piece of wire. Thin, but pierced on severe angle.

I have a large bottle of Muc-off….$35. Will wait for the next puncture to see if it works. If it doesn’t work….I’ll chuck it and try orange seal or stans.
​​​​​​If you really want to wait for the next puncture to give your sealant another shot, I guess that's your prerogative, but anything that I'd describe as a "wire" should be child's play.

But do not do Stan's - have we not covered this already? Stan's for MTB, maybe, but not for road.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-04-21, 07:14 PM
GBK233

​​​​​​If you really want to wait for the next puncture to give your sealant another shot, I guess that's your prerogative, but anything that I'd describe as a "wire" should be child's play.

But do not do Stan's - have we not covered this already? Stan's for MTB, maybe, but not for road.
The wire caused a slit. As for the Stan’s…I forgot about that. I’ll def avoid it
Old 07-04-21, 07:30 PM
WhyFi

The wire caused a slit.
Hard to say how bad of a puncture you're dealing with, and how the effective the sealant should have been, without seeing a pic. It may have caused a slit in the tread rubber, but very doubtful that it caused a slit clean through the casing; anything on the order of 3/16" or smaller, clean through the casing, should be easy peasy.
Old 07-04-21, 07:51 PM
scottydonald

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

DynaPlug - expensive but a great little tool. Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Micro Pro - Tubeless Bicycle Tire Repair Kit

And for me Orange Seal has been amazing. I am just scared it goes dry since my garage is sooooo hot!
Old 07-04-21, 08:13 PM
GBK233

Originally Posted by scottydonald
DynaPlug - expensive but a great little tool. Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Micro Pro - Tubeless Bicycle Tire Repair Kit

And for me Orange Seal has been amazing. I am just scared it goes dry since my garage is sooooo hot!
whats the diff between regular and endurance formula?
Old 07-04-21, 08:42 PM
scottydonald

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
endurance lasts longer supposedly in the tyre. I just have the regular one and currently have 2 holes plugged by it.

Last edited by scottydonald; 07-05-21 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-05-21, 12:40 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Orange Seal Endurance trades off its ability to patch bigger holes for a longer viable time in the tire.

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-05-21 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-07-21, 10:48 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I have wasted too much time in my life waiting for Cafe Latex to do its job. Was a good one in the early days but its time has passed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.