Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

SRAM buys Hammerhead

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-22, 12:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
SRAM buys Hammerhead

SRAM acquires Hammerhead cycling computer brand | Cyclingnews

Old 01-19-22, 12:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Old 01-19-22, 01:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I think it'll probably be a good thing. SRAM is dedicated to cycling, it's not some dot.com tech company taking over. Being a cycling company is good for us. Maybe an influx of cash will help HH in development. They desperately need a better battery that has 16 hrs. or so to put them closer to Garmins 20 hr. life on their 830.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-19-22, 09:59 PM
Seattle Forrest

Here's what DCR had to say.

this is gonna have big ramifications for the bike computer industry – both consumers and other competitors. For their competitors, the news will undoubtedly give them heartache, likely more so Wahoo and Stages than Garmin. Inversely, consumers should be celebrating this. Hammerhead’s been doing some incredible stuff over the last year especially, and unquestionably this will help further that goal. There’s only so much you can do with limited resources to compete with the resources of a company like Garmin’s size, and this will certainly help those efforts.

Also says Hammerhead is keeping all of their staff and priorities and working independently.
Old 01-19-22, 10:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I think it'll probably be a good thing. SRAM is dedicated to cycling, it's not some dot.com tech company taking over. Being a cycling company is good for us. Maybe an influx of cash will help HH in development. They desperately need a better battery that has 16 hrs. or so to put them closer to Garmins 20 hr. life on their 830.
I've been thinking since last fall that a big map on my stem all the time would be nice. I wfh and ride on my lunch break lately because of daylight so it'll be spring before I can really benefit from the maps. I've been doing my homework and the K2 seems like the obvious one to buy. By leaps and bounds for my use case.

But I have Di2. Says they'll continue to support it and I know they know they'll sell more supporting Di2 long term. But how can my first reaction not be and then ?
Old 01-19-22, 11:04 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
I've been thinking since last fall that a big map on my stem all the time would be nice. I wfh and ride on my lunch break lately because of daylight so it'll be spring before I can really benefit from the maps. I've been doing my homework and the K2 seems like the obvious one to buy. By leaps and bounds for my use case.

But I have Di2. Says they'll continue to support it and I know they know they'll sell more supporting Di2 long term. But how can my first reaction not be and then ?
Not supporting Shimano stuff would be seriously stupid.

Having a big map is nice.
Old 01-20-22, 12:44 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I think it’s cool, too, and the potential is awesome, particularly on the integration side of things. The idea of a bike being designed to have all the stuff I want it to have integrated into the bike is very attractive to me, and I can see having a “brain” computer baked-in being a core piece to that. Maybe it’s something like the handlebar and stem becoming more like a dashboard instead of having a little pod tacked on as an afterthought.

Not that I want to see things become proprietary, but I’m open to the idea that the bicycle can be a modern vehicle rather than a primitive, throwback, escape vehicle. I mean, I want bikes that are both of those things.

Right now, though, having to use my phone and a variety of mobile apps to communicate/update/control my bike systems is gettin’ kinda old; I’ve got a Wahoo app for the computer, a different Wahoo app for HR and speed sensors, the SRAM app for the drivetrain, the Favero app for the pedals…
Old 01-20-22, 06:10 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I think it’s cool, too, and the potential is awesome, particularly on the integration side of things. The idea of a bike being designed to have all the stuff I want it to have integrated into the bike is very attractive to me, and I can see having a “brain” computer baked-in being a core piece to that. Maybe it’s something like the handlebar and stem becoming more like a dashboard instead of having a little pod tacked on as an afterthought.

Not that I want to see things become proprietary, but I’m open to the idea that the bicycle can be a modern vehicle rather than a primitive, throwback, escape vehicle. I mean, I want bikes that are both of those things.

Right now, though, having to use my phone and a variety of mobile apps to communicate/update/control my bike systems is gettin’ kinda old; I’ve got a Wahoo app for the computer, a different Wahoo app for HR and speed sensors, the SRAM app for the drivetrain, the Favero app for the pedals…
Soon someone will find out that if you ride near a 5G cell tower, your bike will crash.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-20-22, 06:18 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Here's what DCR had to say.

this is gonna have big ramifications for the bike computer industry – both consumers and other competitors. For their competitors, the news will undoubtedly give them heartache, likely more so Wahoo and Stages than Garmin. Inversely, consumers should be celebrating this. Hammerhead’s been doing some incredible stuff over the last year especially, and unquestionably this will help further that goal. There’s only so much you can do with limited resources to compete with the resources of a company like Garmin’s size, and this will certainly help those efforts.

Also says Hammerhead is keeping all of their staff and priorities and working independently.
Saw his write-up on it - I agree with him. I think this is probably a pretty strong move for SRAM and I think it's great for consumers too. They're going to put downward price pressure and increase the demand for features and better displays on Garmin. They're going to make Wahoo really up their game on navigation and display. All good.

I've had Karoo's since they first came out from the Kickstarter campaign and I've been a tester for quite a while. I think it's a great product. It fits my use case perfectly too. What I really like is that I side loaded a weather radar app (it's running on straight up Android). I can connect the K2 to the internet through my phone and so I can get realtime weather radar on my bike computer while I'm riding with my position shown. In the spring when the weather here is unstable, that's pretty handy for riding around rain squalls. You can also put a sim card in it and skip the phone. I've been contemplating that too.

They've done a nice job with it - you can get audio turn by turn directions out of it with a BT speaker or ear bud (which I very much like). Lots of features like that really refine the bike computer experience especially if you're navigating with it. Their Varia implementation is best in class over even Garmin IMO.

J.
Old 01-20-22, 07:23 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Saw his write-up on it - I agree with him. I think this is probably a pretty strong move for SRAM and I think it's great for consumers too. They're going to put downward price pressure and increase the demand for features and better displays on Garmin. They're going to make Wahoo really up their game on navigation and display. All good.

I've had Karoo's since they first came out from the Kickstarter campaign and I've been a tester for quite a while. I think it's a great product. It fits my use case perfectly too. What I really like is that I side loaded a weather radar app (it's running on straight up Android). I can connect the K2 to the internet through my phone and so I can get realtime weather radar on my bike computer while I'm riding with my position shown. In the spring when the weather here is unstable, that's pretty handy for riding around rain squalls. You can also put a sim card in it and skip the phone. I've been contemplating that too.

They've done a nice job with it - you can get audio turn by turn directions out of it with a BT speaker or ear bud (which I very much like). Lots of features like that really refine the bike computer experience especially if you're navigating with it. Their Varia implementation is best in class over even Garmin IMO.

J.
What radar app ?. Ive a K2 and been pondering side loading a radar app, would be useful in summer
Old 01-20-22, 08:36 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
What radar app ?. Ive a K2 and been pondering side loading a radar app, would be useful in summer
MyRadar is the app available through the Amazon Android store. It’s also got a layer for wind direction and speed which is pretty handy, intuitive and well integrated with the radar view.

https://myradar.com/
Old 01-20-22, 08:50 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
MyRadar is the app available through the Amazon Android store. It’s also got a layer for wind direction and speed which is pretty handy, intuitive and well integrated with the radar view.

https://myradar.com/
Thank you.