Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin style mount headlight

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 02-01-22, 07:04 PM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

I am looking for a headlight that mounts with the gopro style mount that the Garmin Varia UT800 mounts to, or has a first party adapter to mount that way. I will be attaching it under an out front style mount. I would get the Garmin light, but I have a Wahoo so I can't use the light's smart features and I would like something with better battery life. The Garmin's stated life is 1.5 hours at max power. 2-3 hours would be better.
800 lumens would be fine.
Self contained or corded battery is also fine. I would prefer li-ion over AA batteries.
I would like it to be able to charge over USB.

Also, feel free to tell me that the Garmin is the one I should get if there isn't something better out there for less money.
Old 02-01-22, 07:26 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Originally Posted by Cdst
I am looking for a headlight that mounts with the gopro style mount that the Garmin Varia UT800 mounts to, or has a first party adapter to mount that way. I will be attaching it under an out front style mount. I would get the Garmin light, but I have a Wahoo so I can't use the light's smart features and I would like something with better battery life. The Garmin's stated life is 1.5 hours at max power. 2-3 hours would be better.
800 lumens would be fine.
Self contained or corded battery is also fine. I would prefer li-ion over AA batteries.
I would like it to be able to charge over USB.

Also, feel free to tell me that the Garmin is the one I should get if there isn't something better out there for less money.
I don't think you will get more battery life unless you go bigger. it always seems 1.5 Hours on max is pretty normal. are you sure the wahoo wont use them? maybe only changing light output with the darkness? that was a cool feature. not sure if the Karoo 2 would o that either. not sure what brand would have an adaptor. looks like night rider and lights & motion have one. the wahoo would at least turn the garmin light on and off and tell you when the battery is low.
Old 02-02-22, 04:58 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Magicshine RN900 can be mounted under a garmin out in front with the included go pro adapter. Its kinda long so you need the longer mount to clear cables etc. It's an all in one, USB-C charging.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001041143551.html
Old 02-02-22, 07:51 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I have a Giant Recon light that comes with a Go-Pro-style mounting option. Mine works, but mounting under a Garmin requires a mount long enough so the light can be adjusted to the correct angle without the rear of the light contacting the stem.

Old 02-02-22, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Are you saying that your Wahoo is an older model that won't run smart lights of any sort?

I'd get a newer Wahoo and the smart lights of my choice.

Or do you just not want smart lights, period, the END.
Old 02-02-22, 11:03 AM
Cdst

Bikes: 2008 Kona Coilair Deluxe, 2012 Kona Sutra, 2019 Pinarello Dogma F10, 2021 Ibis Ripley

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you saying that your Wahoo is an older model that won't run smart lights of any sort?

I'd get a newer Wahoo and the smart lights of my choice.

Or do you just not want smart lights, period, the END.
I have the Roam and it won't pair with the UT800 according to https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...and-wahoo-roam
I have never had a smart light before and am not currently "missing" smart features. The Magicshine RN1200 looks good. 3 hours at 600 lumens and it can run while charging off a power bank.
Old 02-02-22, 11:09 AM
fooferdoggie 

I had all smart lights it was nice they all turn on when I start the ride turn off when done and let me know when the batteries were low. but they caused issues too if you forgot one garmin could be a bear to get them hooked up again. Plus lights seem to be the most finicky of connections.
Old 02-02-22, 11:25 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Cdst
I have the Roam and it won't pair with the UT800 according to https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fit...and-wahoo-roam
I have never had a smart light before and am not currently "missing" smart features. The Magicshine RN1200 looks good. 3 hours at 600 lumens and it can run while charging off a power bank.
That's an old post. I wouldn't just go by that. Wahoo has updated their software to support more peripheral devices. I'd be surprised if they didn't allow for control of smart lights from the various different manufacturers that make them.

However I'll agree with fooferdoggie that light control seems to be the most problematic. Usually just while my son's bike is sitting in the garage all by itself or when turning on the bike computer to get ready to ride. Once on the ride everything seems to work properly.

But I'm not saying you should get smart lights. It just wasn't clear from your post whether you had wanted them but gave up. I don't use smart lights yet. But if I ever decide to get new lights I probably will.
Old 02-02-22, 08:01 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Iride01
That's an old post. I wouldn't just go by that. Wahoo has updated their software to support more peripheral devices. I'd be surprised if they didn't allow for control of smart lights from the various different manufacturers that make them.

However I'll agree with fooferdoggie that light control seems to be the most problematic. Usually just while my son's bike is sitting in the garage all by itself or when turning on the bike computer to get ready to ride. Once on the ride everything seems to work properly.

But I'm not saying you should get smart lights. It just wasn't clear from your post whether you had wanted them but gave up. I don't use smart lights yet. But if I ever decide to get new lights I probably will.
yes I found its best c=tocharge them together. with the garmin if I charged it the tail light would turn on if it was close enough then get stuck on and die. the Karoo seems better about it but I only have the garmin radar on it right now.
Old 02-03-22, 09:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

To be fair, the oddities with the smart lights on my sons bike don't happen often. Probably less than a hands worth of fingers in the last two or more years. And it's actually been a while so maybe some of the subsequent firmware/software updates addressed the issue. But it did seem to happen at inconvenient times. Though I suppose any time is inconvenient.
Old 02-03-22, 12:26 PM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest talking to a good 3D modeler with a 3D printer and have a light that is from a reputable manufacture that can be adapted to a new mount. (Ie... Light in Motion Amazon.com : Light & Motion Vis Pro 1000 Trail, Reliability, high Power & Fast Charging Makes This a top Choice for Night Rides as Well as Daytime Safety. 3 Helmet/bar Mount Options Included. : Sports & Outdoors)
V
Old 02-04-22, 11:41 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Lezyne's lights come with a typical rubber ladder-strap, but you can detach that and get a
GoPro adapter from Lezyne GoPro adapter from Lezyne
. I've got one. It's fine. This means the light is upside-down, which is OK because most of Lezyne's lights don't have a shaped beam. Most of Cateye's lights mount using a slide-on rail, and they make an
adapter adapter
too. I wouldn't be surprised if there are others.

There are lights with shaped beams such that the light really should be rightside up, though they're not common in the USA. And a few of these let you hang them from GoPro mounts too.
Old 02-04-22, 11:41 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Wow, that's annoying. I don't know how my post got formatted that way.
Old 02-04-22, 01:22 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
K-Edge has a gopro mount for the NiteRider brand Lumina series lights. It's even sold by NiteRider so they must be okay with it. I've been very happy with my

See https://www.niterider.com/products/g...pter-by-k-edge

I have both the Lumina Micro 900 and Lumina Dual 1800. Smaller one on my helmet. Don't know how they are with traffic, I use them for nightime gravel (forest service road) riding.