Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Trek multitrack 750 1990's fair price

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-22, 03:05 PM
Bf409

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Trek multitrack 750 1990's fair price

hello
looking for a 90's era 750 Trek multitrack, i located one (its a lugged frame) in "reasonable" condition, not too beat up but no showroom piece.
what might be a fair offering price?

thanks
Old 02-02-22, 03:33 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
The 750 Multi is a great all-around bike, especially the lugged ones. Condition and size are the important considerations. I'd gladly pay $100 for a "rebuildable" one in the larger sizes. $400 for a larger one in mint condition isn't unreasonable. The smaller ones can typically be found for less money. As always, if it isn't your size, it isn't worth purchasing for you to ride.
Old 02-02-22, 03:46 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Yeah I kinda wouldn’t mind having one of those. Think of it as a mountain bike of the same vintage roughly $100. It has a TreTubi ChroMo and 400LX?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-02-22, 04:33 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I've been looking for a 90-92 lugged 750/790 frame, too.
Last one I missed on eBay sold for ~$140. The ones on there now are too high - and not selling.
The 21" size generally sells for a little more than the others, from what I've seen.
Old 02-02-22, 04:57 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the sizing of these hybrids won’t be quite the same as your road bike size. The bottom brackets sit higher and hence a smaller size is needed to maintain the same standover clearance. One size down from your road size is typical. As usual, best to try before you buy.

Great bikes— my ‘90 originally came with full suntour xce accushift gruppo.
Old 02-02-22, 05:57 PM
imcorn

Bikes: '83 Specialized Expedition, '87 Ritchey Ultra, '88 Ritchey Ascent Comp, '89 GT Avalanche, '90 Bianchi Equinox, '90 Bianchi Project 5, '90 Trek 950, '90 Miyata TripleCross, '95 Kona Explosif, '09 Alan Wanta

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts
In Southern California these can go anywhere from $50 - $150 on the usual Craigslist/OfferUp marketplaces and they typically don't go too fast. I sold a 20" 750 frameset + some spare parts last summer for $100 (probably could have sold it for more to the right buyer, but he was a bike enthusiast and built it up on the spot to take it for a century ride back home). If you're patient you can find a deal (<$100), but if you want the buy the first available I wouldn't say $150 - $175 is an overpay - especially considering they are lugged and MUSA.
Likes For imcorn:
Old 02-02-22, 07:01 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved to Appraisals.

Old 02-02-22, 09:15 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
So much depends on two things:

1. Your ability to craft a great ad with wonderful pictures.

2. Your location, both the town and your proximity to that town. Buyers tend to be L A Z Y. If you are 20 minutes from town, you might not get anyone. To people that work in town, a great way around this is to meet them at work: lunch, after work, or whatever. The bike market in some towns is red hot. In most towns, it is not. And some towns the market is very poor. Take a look at your competition, other bikes for sale on FB marketplace and Craigslist. This will give you an insight into your market. Also check back a week later, and see how many are still there.

Many of us provide estimates that we believe are FMV (fair market value). But its not like a share of stock. You can't just go collect FMV. Getting FMV, or close to it, can be a lot of work. In the end, most vintage bikes sell for less than FMV, sometimes A LOT less.

I've been buying, repairing and selling vintage bikes for the last 15 years. Even though I consider myself pretty good at presentation and preparation, I rarely get fair market value.

Buyers have no imagination. Ad for bike below had no size, no components listed, no brand, no model. The sum total of the ad was "bike".

I bought this bike today, terrible single picture, showing just the non-drive side. Good shot of the basketball, guy's feet and beer can! It sat on FB marketplace for several weeks (I arrived in town yesterday). I would not be surprised if I was the only response. On the drive side, you would have found a nice Suntour Cyclone GT first generation derailleur, a nice Super Maxy crankset, and a few other pieces. Seller got very little for the bike, I gladly paid full asking price. Seat post has already gone onto the Nishiki Tri-A I picked up as well.

Picture as it appeared in ad, yes, it was vertical in orientation. I spotted the Suntour DT shifters and some kind of Sugino crankset, so I was interested.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-02-22 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-03-22, 12:19 AM
Bf409

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
thanks for all the info, it will help in formulating a price
Old 02-03-22, 08:03 AM
Kobe 

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
I bought this Trek 790 last Summer in OK original condition for $225 off of Craigslist.Seller said he had several inquiries after mine. It was too small for me so I sold it to a friend on the condition I have dibs if he ever sells it.
Old 02-04-22, 02:12 AM
Bf409

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
so to bring this thread to a conclusion for the archives...

i purchased the 750 for $150, 19" frame in reasonable and respectable condition, seller was asking $250 in the AD but we were both satisfied with the agreed upon price, he was also a bike enthusiast who seemed happy it was going to someone who specifically appreciated it.
here in the northeast metropolitan area i see the 700/720 trek models averaging from $175- high $300's depending on condition, even higher for sellers who are fishing with mint 750's
the 700's/720's appear quite a bit but 750's not as often and i have yet to see a 790.
as "wrk101" points out distance from buyer to seller has a lot to do with how quick the bike goes, i drove about 1.5 hours and i do believe the bike was listed for for at least a few months.
if it were spring/summer and in a less remote area I'm sure it would have gone pretty quick.

i am still reasonably new to the game so what specific components/parts on these treks are considered more sought after or desirable?
i see certain derailleur/crank-set names or brands being referred to someties

thanks
Likes For Bf409:
Old 02-04-22, 03:45 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
Congrats, now please show us photos🙂