Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Selecting IGH hubs?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Selecting IGH hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-22, 09:30 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I ride a basic S-A AW 3-speed almost all the time, and like it a lot. To me, a signal advantage is that the middle "cruise" gear is the 1:1, unlike many of the other IGH models. I do use all 3 gears, but on the flats alternate between middle & high, mostly the former. Yes, the spread is pretty large, but I've just learned to deal with that by adjusting my cadence. One other advantage is that I'm not always shifting. I use a Simplex Retrofriction shifter on the downtube, just because I like its looks way better than the S-A trigger and it's absolutely the nicest shifter I've ever used. Middle gear is indicated by a couple simple Sharpie marks that I can see well enough, though I've gotten pretty good at getting the lever to the right place just by tactile memory.

If you need more gears than that, then there's always the 4-speed, or the S5, which was just a souped-up 4-speed. The latter are available occasionally on eBay, though usually in a 40-hole shell; but there's a little secret: the innards of an S5 or 4-speed will fit into an AW shell, and there are a lot of those around, even vintage ones in alloy. Mark Stonich at BikeSmith Design & Fabrication (bikesmithdesign.com) is definitely the guy for parts, or the hard-to-find left-side bellcrank for the S5. That model uses two shifters, the right for the typical 3-speed range, and the left to engage the mechanism that increases the spread, giving a lower low and a higher high.
Old 05-18-22, 10:11 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Sluggo
I had a bike with a Shimano 7 spd. Worked well for hilly urban use and I could not tell a difference in efficiency between different gears, However, the right cone got pitted badly after 10K miles or so, and Shimano being Shimano, there were several revisions of the hub since I purchased it and the part was not available. The pitting got so bad that I broke a ball, and the hub went into the recycling bin. Also, I broke spokes at the rim until I relaced 2x; this is odd because there are lots of similar hubs out there that are 3x with no apparent problems.

I now have a Rohloff bike built as a heavy tour/trekking bike. After 20K miles on it, the sting of high initial cost has faded.
We have sued Shimano 7 speed IGHs on our charity bicycles in Ukraine for years with few problems. They have - like many IGHs- larger than usual spoke holes. To prevent spoke breakage, we used 13/14 gauge spokes. That extra width at the bend fills the spoke hole better and provides extra strength. Most of you know but just in case you didn't that thinner 14 gauge spokes are commonly the "heavy" spoke. As an alternative to using thicker 13 gauge spokes one can use spoke washers to provide extra strength around the hub's spoke hole. Keep in mind that most rims have spoke nipple holes that only work with 14 gauge spokes. That means the spoke has to be single or double buttered or a special thinner nipple used that will allow a 13 gauge thread to fit into a 14 gauge nipple rim hole.
Old 05-18-22, 11:25 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Sluggo
I had a bike with a Shimano 7 spd. Worked well for hilly urban use and I could not tell a difference in efficiency between different gears, However, the right cone got pitted badly after 10K miles or so, and Shimano being Shimano, there were several revisions of the hub since I purchased it and the part was not available. The pitting got so bad that I broke a ball, and the hub went into the recycling bin. Also, I broke spokes at the rim until I relaced 2x; this is odd because there are lots of similar hubs out there that are 3x with no apparent problems.

I now have a Rohloff bike built as a heavy tour/trekking bike. After 20K miles on it, the sting of high initial cost has faded.
So what service did you do over that time?? Mine was tight until I took the left cone apart. I'm pretty sure it was wearing the balls before that.
Only 900 miles so far. I goofed my first SA XL-FDD with 3 cross, but it still went 26,000 miles with no breaks. I finally changed it this winter.
Old 05-19-22, 06:09 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Doug, I prefer my toast to be "double buttered!"
Old 05-19-22, 06:26 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
I ride a basic S-A AW 3-speed almost all the time, and like it a lot. To me, a signal advantage is that the middle "cruise" gear is the 1:1, unlike many of the other IGH models. I do use all 3 gears, but on the flats alternate between middle & high, mostly the former. Yes, the spread is pretty large, but I've just learned to deal with that by adjusting my cadence. One other advantage is that I'm not always shifting. I use a Simplex Retrofriction shifter on the downtube, just because I like its looks way better than the S-A trigger and it's absolutely the nicest shifter I've ever used. Middle gear is indicated by a couple simple Sharpie marks that I can see well enough, though I've gotten pretty good at getting the lever to the right place just by tactile memory.

If you need more gears than that, then there's always the 4-speed, or the S5, which was just a souped-up 4-speed. The latter are available occasionally on eBay, though usually in a 40-hole shell; but there's a little secret: the innards of an S5 or 4-speed will fit into an AW shell, and there are a lot of those around, even vintage ones in alloy. Mark Stonich at BikeSmith Design & Fabrication (bikesmithdesign.com) is definitely the guy for parts, or the hard-to-find left-side bellcrank for the S5. That model uses two shifters, the right for the typical 3-speed range, and the left to engage the mechanism that increases the spread, giving a lower low and a higher high.
There's a lot of lit on-line describing classic and current SA hubs. One thing is that upgrading from the AW takes some thought, so look for tables of the gear ratios Sturmey provided. If you want better climbing, going to an FM or FW (the four-speeds) might not do it without trading off the high, which you like. If your key point is "more gears" there were several classic 4 and 5 speed designs as well as modern ones. If you need wider range you can be in for some serious gear phreaking. Adding a granny up front is my favorite idea, but on my Rudge I'm stumped attaching a chain tension arm with enough capacity, and don't want to add a claw to the dropout. Plus I'm not too much for hand-fabrication of parts, I don't have a machine shop.
Old 05-19-22, 07:35 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
The flaw with the SA 8 is the biggest gap at the bottom and top.
That's not a flaw, that's a feature.

>>With any kind of gearing system, you trade off the size of the steps between gears against the overall range.<<

Back in the late 1960s thru the early 1980s, we rode "ten speed" derailleur gear bikes. We were told to not cross chain (large chainwheel to biggest cog, small chainwheel to littlest cog) on pain of death and with the chains we had then that was probably good advice. This left us with six well-spaced gears (which were progressed thru via double shifts!) with bigger jumps to lowest and highest ratios. Hey, it worked. We rode the wheels off those bikes.

This is very similar to the gear pattern of the Sturmey-Archer XRF8: six closely spaced intermediate gears additionally with a bombing downhill and a grunting uphill ratio.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-19-22, 09:14 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
Finding a place to comprehensively compare IGH's is getting interesting. First off, I need to eliminate coaster brake, disc brake and drum brake versions. Moreover, I certain do not want a black hub. Suddenly the choices become much fewer!

Originally Posted by Salubrious
These days I've gone to using belt drive with it.
Sounds very interesting but I understand a frame has to be made to accommodate a belt, as there is no "master link" in a belt, no? And they are, ahem, aesthetically challenging I'd think on a classic bike, unless one uses a chain case (uh, belt case? )

Originally Posted by tcs
Ach! In-line cable adjuster. Very handy.
I like that, presuming there's chainstay protection. Do these come with some/most IGH hub kits, or an aftermarket accessory?

Originally Posted by tcs
This is very similar to the gear pattern of the Sturmey-Archer XRF8: six closely spaced intermediate gears additionally with a bombing downhill and a grunting uphill ratio.
That sounds like something I can readily live with - spend most times in intermediate gears, and two "get me out of trouble" ratios at the extremes.

Old 05-19-22, 09:45 AM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Finding a place to comprehensively compare IGH's is getting interesting. First off, I need to eliminate coaster brake, disc brake and drum brake versions. Moreover, I certain do not want a black hub. Suddenly the choices become much fewer!

Sounds very interesting but I understand a frame has to be made to accommodate a belt, as there is no "master link" in a belt, no? And they are, ahem, aesthetically challenging I'd think on a classic bike, unless one uses a chain case (uh, belt case? )
Rohloffs are available in black, silver and red. I think I mentioned that you have to take your frame to a frame builder to modify it for use with a belt. But there are belts that don't require that, although not as common as the Gates belt, which if one is honest, is not all that common either. I carry a spare with me. The other tricky bit is the frame can't have much flex according to Gates, but if you use a snubber as I suggested earlier you can get around this problem as you don't have to run much belt tension.

The Shimano Alfine 8 speed is (or was) available in black and silver, the latter seems more common.

If you go with the venerable SA 3-speed AW hub, you could take your bike on the Lake Pepin 3-speed tour. You need a 46 in front and a 22 in the rear to climb the Bay City Hill.
https://3speedtour.com/
Old 05-19-22, 10:23 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Having made a plug for vintage S-A hubs, I should have pointed out a limitation they have: axle length compared to the spacing of most frames of the modern era. The AW and similar vintage hubs were intended for bikes having an OLD of 114 or so mm. Axles are available, but scarce, that are longer, but not much longer, like 6 mm. I have used such an axle replacement to make things work on a frame with 120 mm OLD. A 70s road frame might work fine, but the 126 or 130 mm frames would have to be respaced.

Newer S-A hubs are intended for larger spacings, but you do have to be careful about this, just like with any rear hub.
Old 05-19-22, 10:23 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 246 Posts
I guess the biggest reason I got the SA 5w instead of the 8, is the need for a silly 30 or 32T front. Not compatible with Rohloff14 or anything else.
So in looking at the Sheldon GI chart again, it's hard to find a poor combo. Either 30/ 32T with 22/ 23/ 24/ 25T will get you nice low/ medium and high pace.
30/ 23T would suit me fine. Some guys say they are a great hub, though for sure weaker parts than a R14.
My 1973 CCM fitted the regular 3 speed just fine at 118 mm.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 05-19-22 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-19-22, 10:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by tiger1964
I like (the in-line cable adjuster), presuming there's chainstay protection. Do these come with some/most IGH hub kits, or an aftermarket accessory?
It's an aftermarket accessory.

Shifters for most IGHs have a cable adjuster for fine-tuning the alignment marks with the shifter position. Sturmey 3-speeds famously come with cable adjusters on the pull chain back by the hub. Since I used an 'adjusterless' aftermarket Jtek bar-end shifter for my XRF8, I needed a cable adjuster somewhere in the cable/housing run, and placing it back by the hub made it very convenient.

BTW, aftermarket Sturmeys typically come in a box with the shifter, cable&housing, nuts, washers, non-turn washers, cable anchor and cog. It's a complete kit! ...except the included cog might not have the number of teeth you want, and the shifter might not be the type you want.

With aftermarket Shimano IGHs, you usually have to buy all these things separately. No big deal, just something to be aware of.
Old 05-19-22, 10:48 AM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts
We have sued Shimano 7 speed IGHs on our charity bicycles in Ukraine for years with few problems. They have - like many IGHs- larger than usual spoke holes. To prevent spoke breakage, we used 13/14 gauge spokes. .......
My spoke breakage was at the rim end of the spokes, so hub-hole size was not the problem. Going to 2x solved the issue, but again, there are lots of 3x wheels with large hubs that don't seem to break spokes. I don't know why I had this problem when a zillion other people don't (and I broke lots of spokes)(700c, BTW). On the other hand, Rohloff requires 2x, but it they are even larger diameter flanges.

Some years back, I used washers on the spoke holes of an Austrian SA 3-spd copy to stop spoke breakage at the hub, so I can attest that that technique works. Edit: after further pondering, I remembered that in this particular case the problem was that the relatively thin steel flanges were a poor match for the curve of the spoke elbow (designed for thicker aluminum flanges) and the washer was needed to better match the elbow radius.

So what service did you do over that time?? Mine was tight until I took the left cone apart. I'm pretty sure it was wearing the balls before that.
Only 900 miles so far. I goofed my first SA XL-FDD with 3 cross, but it still went 26,000 miles with no breaks. I finally changed it this winter.
I adjusted the bearings when it was new and checked them regularly. I have seen reports of others having the same issue, blaming rainy Seattle weather (it's much rainier here), but I can't find it now. I could not see any contamination of the lubricant, though IIRC it was dark gray groil, so not necessarily easy to tell.

I would guess that the bearing/driver problem has been corrected in subsequent redesigns of the hub. And I did like the riding experience.

Last edited by Sluggo; 05-20-22 at 11:18 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-19-22, 10:49 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
If you need more gears than that, then there's always the 4-speed, or the S5, which was just a souped-up 4-speed. The latter are available occasionally on eBay...
If you go for a vintage FM or FW four-speed, my recommendation is to make your life easier and find one complete with an indicator and shifter. Odd, but the shifters seem to be rarer than the hubs. Go figure.
Old 05-19-22, 10:55 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Salubrious
If you go with the venerable SA 3-speed AW hub, you could take your bike on the Lake Pepin 3-speed tour.
I understand they'll accept 4- and 5-speed hubs, so long as you aren't arrogant about your hill-climbing ability when employing them.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-19-22, 11:11 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I am impressed with what SunRace has done with the Sturmey Archer line. I am leaning that way for my next internally geared hub.
Old 05-19-22, 06:13 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
If you go for a vintage FM or FW four-speed, my recommendation is to make your life easier and find one complete with an indicator and shifter. Odd, but the shifters seem to be rarer than the hubs. Go figure.
I seem to have several 3/4-speed shifters, but none have a strong enough spring to hold that lowest gear. Definitely a design flaw. Reminds me that I have an ongoing spring replacement project. Need to attend to that this summer.
Old 05-20-22, 11:16 AM
Salubrious

Originally Posted by nlerner
I seem to have several 3/4-speed shifters, but none have a strong enough spring to hold that lowest gear. Definitely a design flaw. Reminds me that I have an ongoing spring replacement project. Need to attend to that this summer.
Be careful not to set the cable tension too high. On the 4 speeds I set the cable tension in low gear, as loose as it can be while still pulling the toggle chain as far as it will go. I've yet to run into a shifter that would not hold low gear.
Old 06-13-22, 07:09 AM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Sunrace Sturmeys

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I am impressed with what SunRace has done with the Sturmey Archer line. I am leaning that way for my next internally geared hub.

I too am impressed with the breadth of their offerings, particularly their variety of drum hubs... As for the (Sunrace) SA 8-speed IG hubs, I'm much less impressed, and have had internal failures on 2 of them. Sunrace, to their credit shipped new internals on the first failure... on the second failure (different hub), I gave up. Personally I prefer the Shimano Nexus (red band) and Alfine 8 spd hubs; for the money I think they're pretty robust and reliable.

I also have had a soft spot for the Spectro/SRAM P5 and S7 speed IG hubs (I know, I must be a glutton for punishment... In fact I still have a P5 in the box that I keep threatening to build up). Anyone else like these? Admittedly I find the click box setup a royal PITA, but really do like the feel of the shifting (reminds me of the older SA hubs).

In the final analysis I still love my derailleur setups, but there's just something intriguing and irresistible about IG hubs!
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 06-14-22, 11:34 AM
Salubrious

Originally Posted by montclairbobbyb
I also have had a soft spot for the Spectro/SRAM P5 and S7 speed IG hubs (I know, I must be a glutton for punishment... In fact I still have a P5 in the box that I keep threatening to build up). Anyone else like these? Admittedly I find the click box setup a royal PITA, but really do like the feel of the shifting (reminds me of the older SA hubs).

In the final analysis I still love my derailleur setups, but there's just something intriguing and irresistible about IG hubs!
I had a Sram 7-speed and really enjoyed it- until the bike was stolen.
The 8-speed Shimano is a pretty good hub. It should be regreased annually if you subject it to extreme environments.
Old 06-14-22, 11:52 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 403 Posts
[QUOTE=montclairbobbyb;22539651. As for the (Sunrace) SA 8-speed IG hubs, I'm much less impressed, and have had internal failures on 2 of them. Sunrace, to their credit shipped new internals on the first failure... on the second failure (different hub), I gave up. [/QUOTE]

Interesting data point. So far, seems like a wide range of experiences by C&V/BF'ers on the various IGH hubs. Hopefully I can make an intelligent selection and when I proceed perhaps whatever my first choice might actually be available!

Old 06-14-22, 06:31 PM
rudypyatt

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
If you’re not in an extremely hilly area, the Sturmey-Archer SRF3 could be all you need. I have one on a Linus Gaston 3 (downtube shifter) and converted a Windsor TimeLine to the same hub (trigger shifter on the drop). Both are great for bopping around New York City.
Likes For rudypyatt: