Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Lotus bike what's it worth

Old 01-27-16, 06:14 AM
That50chevy

Bikes: 2009 Jamis Ventura race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lotus bike what's it worth

I have recently picked up this lotus road bike of craigslist and was wondering what you guys though it was worth. Is it worth keeping and building it back up. I have never really heard of lotus bikes. Any help would be appreciated thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (99.6 KB, 997 views)
Old 01-27-16, 06:20 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
To better evaluate, please provide more pictures...particularly of the drive side with close ups of any details...also...more information would be good...model, tubing, etc.
Old 01-27-16, 06:29 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Lotus was an American marketing company that had their bicycles contract manufactured in Asia by various companies including Tsunoda (Japan), Yamaguchi (Japan) and Pacific (Taiwan). They were considered good value and the line covered the full range from entry level up to professional level.

The subject bicycle appears to be a mid-range from the early 1980s. However, to give an accurate appraisal we would require more information. Pictures and/or brands and models of the major components (derailleurs, cranksets, brakes ) would be a big help, as would pics/type of tubing decal. It appears to be Tange but I can't make it out. An overall picture taken from the drive side would also help in assessing overall condition. Finally, your location would be a big help, as prices can vary considerably from market to market.

Edit: Oops looks like |I was composing while daf1009 was posting. Sorry for the doubling of requested information.
Old 01-27-16, 06:40 AM
T-Mar

Currents thoughts, pending more information is a Loutus Classique with Tange #1 or #2 and SunTour Cyclone GT. Circa 1983/1984.
Old 01-27-16, 06:51 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Lotus made some great bikes: Vintage Lotus Bicycles Home Page
Old 01-27-16, 07:53 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I saw a Lotus Classique sold for $300 in VGC on EBay las November. I like the seat stay design.
Old 01-27-16, 10:54 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
A better drive side pic would really help this does appear to be 84 or so mid level model in fair to good condition. But it looks to have mismatched wheels and possibly some cheaper replacement none original components. These tend to go in the $200-300 range in very good condition with the mismatched wheels and some condition issues likely $150-200 as presented.
Old 01-27-16, 12:43 PM
edsall78

Bikes: Lotus Legend (1982), Lotus Excelle Mixte (1984), Lotus Classique (1984)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same model but from 1983-ish..

this one looks like the 23"/1984 (electric blue).

I think the bike is worth at least $300+--especially in a NYC market.

I sold my Lotus Excelle (one level below the Classique) for $325 and the Lotus Legend (one model above Classique) for $400. And they sold relatively quickly..within a couple of days.

I kept the Classique--it's just a fine example of a Japanese (Sport Touring) model. I am fairly certain i can put 32mm tires on it..which makes it extra nice.
Old 01-27-16, 01:05 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 53 Posts
Yeah, I've seen them from race quality to campus quality. Your's look like it's closer to the high end!
Old 01-27-16, 01:32 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by wrk101
...I picked up a Puch recently. Yes I had heard of Puch but all of them I had seen were low end. But this one had Dura Ace components and a 531 frame and fork, was in good condition and my size so I bought it,
It sounds like you may have a Vent Noir. Depending on the exact year, they came is a gorgeous black chrome finish with black Dura-Ace. They were also one of the few high models that you could get in a mixte version during the 1970s. Connie Carpenter used to ride for Puch before she got poached by Levi's Raleigh for the upcoming LA Olympic Games.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VentNoir_Mixte.jpg (100.8 KB, 470 views)
Old 01-28-16, 06:33 AM
daf1009

Bikes: LESS than I did a year ago!

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Actually, its a Royal X. Wish it was the Vent Noir. I am used to the high end Puchs being branded A-D, and the lower end ones being Puch.
A Royal X...hmmm...never saw that one...any chance to get some pics and see it???
Old 01-28-16, 08:34 AM
T-Mar

Actually, its a Royal X. Wish it was the Vent Noir. I am used to the high end Puchs being branded A-D, and the lower end ones being Puch.
Thanks for tweeking my memory. Puch and A-D were sister brands. I often mix them up. I'm pretty sure that A-D also offered entry level models with hi-tensile frames but as you say, they were better known for the higher end models.
Old 01-28-16, 09:44 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Thanks for tweeking my memory. Puch and A-D were sister brands. I often mix them up. I'm pretty sure that A-D also offered entry level models with hi-tensile frames but as you say, they were better known for the higher end models.
Somewhat off topic, but do you happen to know what bits the Levi team/Connie used on their bikes? I've even heard the ladies may have used different bits from the men.

Also - really pleased to see you active again. One of the best.
Old 01-30-16, 10:21 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
Depending on condition, top end Japanese bikes usually bottom out for around $300. About 1/2 or 1/3 of the price of a comparable Italian bike. I prefer the old Japanese stuff myself. Much easier to get brand new parts & a more satisfactory ride than the older European stuff.
Old 01-30-16, 10:43 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by ramzilla
Depending on condition, top end Japanese bikes usually bottom out for around $300. About 1/2 or 1/3 of the price of a comparable Italian bike. I prefer the old Japanese stuff myself. Much easier to get brand new parts & a more satisfactory ride than the older European stuff.
This is not always the case...a Team Miyata can edge near $1000 and the Lotus Aero Supremes can easily crack it.
Old 01-30-16, 03:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10900 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
I see Miyata, Fuji, and Bstone bikes listed well north of $300, and they sell. Not sure the final price, but it should be obvious they arent cutting $150 or so off when theybsell in a couple weeks.
Old 01-30-16, 05:33 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I was a real French & Italian bike snob back in the 70's. Then, around 1985 a friend loaned me a Shogun Samuari. I've been into 80's Japanese bikes ever since. To me there's no comparison. Tange frames, Araya wheels &, Sugino cranks are the bomb!

Last edited by ramzilla; 02-01-16 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-01-16, 09:45 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Somewhat off topic, but do you happen to know what bits the Levi team/Connie used on their bikes? I've even heard the ladies may have used different bits from the men.

Also - really pleased to see you active again. One of the best.
That's a really good question. Looking at pictures taken during the Games, the front brake caliper on Connie's bicycle has the web typical of Dura-Ace EX. Some of the other components look like Campagnolo but it's really hard to find a good picture. Ads from 1984 show her Levi's Raleigh to be Campagnolo equipped. Pics of the men's Levi's Raleigh road bicycles at the Games also show the Dura-Ace EX front caliper. I've got a pretty good pic of Hugh Walton's 1985 bicycle and surprisingly it looks like mostly 1st generation Dura-Ace with AX brake and shift levers. Given when the Games took place, if they were Dura-Ace sponsored, I would have expected them to be on pre-production New Dura-Ace but that doesn't appear to be the case. I would definitely have expected it on Hugh's 1985 bicycle, given that it was in general release by then, but that's not the case either. I'd be interesting in hearing what you've heard.
Old 02-01-16, 10:25 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

That's a really good question. Looking at pictures taken during the Games, the front brake caliper on Connie's bicycle has the web typical of Dura-Ace EX. Some of the other components look like Campagnolo but it's really hard to find a good picture. Ads from 1984 show her Levi's Raleigh to be Campagnolo equipped. Pics of the men's Levi's Raleigh road bicycles at the Games also show the Dura-Ace EX front caliper. I've got a pretty good pic of Hugh Walton's 1985 bicycle and surprisingly it looks like mostly 1st generation Dura-Ace with AX brake and shift levers. Given when the Games took place, if they were Dura-Ace sponsored, I would have expected them to be on pre-production New Dura-Ace but that doesn't appear to be the case. I would definitely have expected it on Hugh's 1985 bicycle, given that it was in general release by then, but that's not the case either. I'd be interesting in hearing what you've heard.
A lot of confusion mostly. I've heard both campy and Shimano had sponsorship deals within a tight window, and the photos I've seen have been confusing at best. I've emailed a few of the players, but none have responded. I'm sure they get hobby nerds emailing them non-stop.

I have one one of Connie's bikes...and went with 4 years later Superbe pro because I didn't know what was proper and decided I wanted to try a Superbe pro bike. Mostly it's inferior by a long shot to the Shimano of the time without having the style of campy. Not hard to undertand why they died.
Old 02-01-16, 02:24 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
A lot of confusion mostly. I've heard both campy and Shimano had sponsorship deals within a tight window, and the photos I've seen have been confusing at best. I've emailed a few of the players, but none have responded. I'm sure they get hobby nerds emailing them non-stop....
I remember there being a big squabble over the bicycles to be used by the USA team. Murray was the official Bicycle Manufacturer for the Olympic Games, having purchased it from Southland Corporation. Murray was also sponsor of Southland's 7-Eleven team and it was obvious they weren't going to sell the license to Huffy/Raleigh. However, the USCF was desperate for money and sold Huffy/Raleigh the title of official supplier to the US national team. Each party was trying to get the riders on their brand of bicycles. It escalated to the point where the IOC stepped in and said that riders couldn't be forced to use something that they did not want to. Raleigh got a small victory in that the Team Trial Trial and Team Pursuit bicycle had to be aerodynamically compatible and the decision was left to the coaches, who chose Raleigh based on the extensive R&D they had put into these bicycles. It's ironic that in the end, the iconic cycling image is not of a Murray or Raleigh, but Alexi Grewal's Pinarello.

I'm wondering if some of the rider's took the IOC decision to the nth degree and mixed and matched components. After all, it is well known that Grewal used Dura-Ace AX crank and pedals on his otherwise SunTour Superbe Pro equipped Pinarello. If it was me, I'd probably choose wheels with Camapgnolo hubs even if the rest of my bicycle wasn't Camapgnolo, given that Campagnolo was providing neutral support. I wouldn't want the risk of some incompatibility issue after a flat.

I found a small Levi's Raleigh team picture from a 1984 advertisement. You can just make out that the men's jerseys have a Shimano logo but the women's jerseys have are curiously vacant in the same spot.
Old 08-26-21, 06:47 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by daf1009
A Royal X...hmmm...never saw that one...any chance to get some pics and see it???
Years later, I can tell you about the Puch Royal X - it was a 1976 model year only for the U.S. and was available in white or salmon. <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Reynolds 531 throughout, Bocama Professional lugs, chromed semi-sloping box crown, chromed Shimano Dura Ace dropouts, indented chainstays, pip for downtube shifters is the only braze-on. Stock parts included <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->1st generation Shimano Dura-Ace headset, ISO BB and crankset with 52/42T rings, SunTour Cyclone derailleurs with power ratchet downtube shifters, Normandy Luxe Competition hubs laced to Weinmann 27-in rims, SR World Champion 39 cm bars and 9 cm stem, MKS pedals, SR LaPrade 27.2mm seatpost, Regina Oro chain and 14-22 5-speed freewheel, Weinmann Carrera sidepull brakes, Gillux 3000 saddle. It is the same frame as the Puch Royal Force, which was a Dura-Ace/tubulars equipped equivalent to the 1st generation Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, but not as finely finished.

This one is mine with non-stock SunTour Ultra 6-speed freewheel, saddle, pedals, stem and a modified Cyclone rear derailleur (fitted with a SunTour VXs cage to allow up to a 28T cog).
Old 08-27-21, 12:55 PM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
I remember there being a big squabble over the bicycles to be used by the USA team. Murray was the official Bicycle Manufacturer for the Olympic Games, having purchased it from Southland Corporation. Murray was also sponsor of Southland's 7-Eleven team and it was obvious they weren't going to sell the license to Huffy/Raleigh. However, the USCF was desperate for money and sold Huffy/Raleigh the title of official supplier to the US national team. Each party was trying to get the riders on their brand of bicycles. It escalated to the point where the IOC stepped in and said that riders couldn't be forced to use something that they did not want to. Raleigh got a small victory in that the Team Trial Trial and Team Pursuit bicycle had to be aerodynamically compatible and the decision was left to the coaches, who chose Raleigh based on the extensive R&D they had put into these bicycles. It's ironic that in the end, the iconic cycling image is not of a Murray or Raleigh, but Alexi Grewal's Pinarello.

I'm wondering if some of the rider's took the IOC decision to the nth degree and mixed and matched components. After all, it is well known that Grewal used Dura-Ace AX crank and pedals on his otherwise SunTour Superbe Pro equipped Pinarello. If it was me, I'd probably choose wheels with Camapgnolo hubs even if the rest of my bicycle wasn't Camapgnolo, given that Campagnolo was providing neutral support. I wouldn't want the risk of some incompatibility issue after a flat.

I found a small Levi's Raleigh team picture from a 1984 advertisement. You can just make out that the men's jerseys have a Shimano logo but the women's jerseys have are curiously vacant in the same spot.
To add to this the some Raleigh frames were built by Marinoni. From the Sheldon Brown Website
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retrora...acing-usa.htmlTaliah Lempert wrote:
[Connie Carpenter's 1984 Olympic bike] was built by Marinoni with Raleigh decals, though it had the raleigh stamping on the seat stays and bottom bracket.Glenn Deruchie added:I came upon the reference on your web site to the Raleigh bike that Connie Carpenter rode in the 1984 Olympics. As noted it was in fact built in Montreal by Giuseppe Marinoni as well as a number of other team frames. In total we produced about 25 frames for the team that year including frames for Knickman, Rogers and almost all of the men on that team in 1984 and 1985.The frames were painted in Raleigh colours and bore full Raleigh decals and badges. They were in fact made out of Columbus SL/SP tubing as were all our racing frames of that era. The Reynolds tubing stickers were provided by the team manager, Mike Fatka as were the decals. They were to be built out of 531C but the tubing did not arrive in time hence we used Columbus. In addition we built 2 cyclocross frames for Knickman and Tilford which were ridden at the US National Cross Championships which I believe Knickman won.

From 1984 to 86 I was one of the few english specking employees at Marinoni's shop outside Montreal and handled the orders for these frames. The connection that brought about this strange frame combination being Hugh Walton a Canadian riding for Levis/Raleigh at the time. The frame were sold for $325 each to the team.

Prior to the Raleigh frames we had built frames for AMF including Jim Ochowitz and World Champion Beth Heiden.

Glenn Deruchie
Marinoni USA
Vermont
Likes For Paul Waque: