Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Garlatti completely original

Old 03-19-21, 06:55 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
Think I have come to the end of the Garlatti ...but I want to know your thoughts
First thing, change the direction of the front brake pad cartridge holders. You have them reversed, and they are unsafe. The opening that allows replacement pads to slide into the holder must be oriented toward the rear of the bike. Second, level the saddle. Third, make absolutely certain that you do not have the stem higher than the minimum insertion mark. Again, for safety. Good luck with your sale.
Old 03-19-21, 11:30 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
You do not need to assure me of anything. The frames look the same. The sticker on the eBay bike likely is wrong.

EBay is full of overpriced inventory
brixxton , like it or not, @bikemig is right on this one, for several reasons:

1) The 531 decal on the eBay bike is a sticker - a bike of that era would use a waterslide decal, often under clearcoat. It's not a 531 frame.
2) We know the sticker isn't original to the bike because that design style of Reynolds 531 sticker didn't exist in the era that frame was made
3) eBay is full of con-jobs who do BS like that, putting fake stickers on something, in order to bilk people out of more money
4) The eBay frame, while not listed genuinely, is sadly in much better shape than yours, paint-wise, take it or leave it
5) I dug back: That frame has bene listed no less than 4 iterations, which is a red flag it's overpriced and/or most lookers realize the 531 decals aren't legit
6) eBay is also full over over-inflated garbage and you absolutely CANNOT rely on the prices of active listings; you need to click the "Advanced" link to the right of the search box and click "Sold listings' in the options

I see you've already listed yours, so maybe we'll see how accurate everyone is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164761776365

But, still, I've done #6 for you and it appears there are no examples within the last year. Only current examples, with a green one (repaint) nicer than yours sitting with zero bids at $150.

So let's watch the auction to the end - I don't think it'll close higher than $225 w/o a shill. I suspect it'll close in the $175-225 range, tops. I hope, for your wallet's sake, we're all wrong

Last edited by francophile; 03-19-21 at 06:00 PM.
Likes For francophile:
Old 03-19-21, 12:20 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Third, make absolutely certain that you do not have the stem higher than the minimum insertion mark.
-----

good points all

however the 3TTT Tourist model handlebar stem of this era, ~1972, bears no insertion mark

-----
Old 03-29-21, 12:10 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

I was really hoping to see how this one panned out on eBay but I guess the OP got cold feet, cancelled all bids, and pulled their eBay listing prior to auction end. Darn. Guess we'll never know.

Still languishing on CL at $595, taking tidbits from the appraisal here ( @juvela you're famous! ), and keeping it super classy as expected. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...292597698.html

------------------------

Likes For francophile:
Old 03-29-21, 05:52 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Thanks

Originally Posted by francophile
I was really hoping to see how this one panned out on eBay but I guess the OP got cold feet, cancelled all bids, and pulled their eBay listing prior to auction end. Darn. Guess we'll never know.

Still languishing on CL at $595, taking tidbits from the appraisal here ( @juvela you're famous! ), and keeping it super classy as expected. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...292597698.html

------------------------

but patience please
Old 03-30-21, 09:18 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
"but patience please" ... for what?

And why in the world would you put the rude response you got IN the actual sale ad for the bike?? Are you thinking that someone will see that and decide to pay your price because someone else told you it wasn't worth it???
Old 03-30-21, 10:53 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
"but patience please" ... for what?

And why in the world would you put the rude response you got IN the actual sale ad for the bike?? Are you thinking that someone will see that and decide to pay your price because someone else told you it wasn't worth it???
(Perhaps I should be less sarcastic and simply say I don't think that's a good idea for you if your aim is to actually sell the bike.)
Old 03-30-21, 01:54 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Hi

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
(Perhaps I should be less sarcastic and simply say I don't think that's a good idea for you if your aim is to actually sell the bike.)

You just might be onto something.
Old 03-30-21, 02:49 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Oof. Hot pic, but those chrome lugs are in much worse shape than I thought.

Old 03-31-21, 05:57 AM
brixxton
resykler

Chrome problems

Originally Posted by francophile
Oof. Hot pic, but those chrome lugs are in much worse shape than I thought.
it comes off with a sharp blade, tin foil no good, any thoughts?

Old 03-31-21, 06:45 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by brixxton
it comes off with a sharp blade, tin foil no good, any thoughts?
Chrome is a metal plating. What you're seeing is the chrome coating flaking off and revealing raw steel underneath - not good. This can happen when you combine time/age with either (a) poor care and/or (b) poor coating quality, i.e. the chroming method was bad, hasty, poorly done, thin, etc.

There's nothing you can do if it's flaking that bad except take it to a professional, have the chrome stripped, and have it rechromed. Most shops would put you in the $800-900 range over here, where EPA regulations are far less stringent. It's a hell of a cost, and one more reason for the stated value everyone is giving in this thread is pretty on-point. That bike is perpetually going to rust at every bare-metal spot, it'll be a nightmare to keep up with if actually ridden.

Chrome is not a non-porous coating and the aluminum foil trick is a stop-gap measure that works for corrosion, but not full-on flaking. You need to understand rusty chrome happens when water is allowed to to penetrate a pore in the chrome, thus oxidizing the steel under, which leaves a bump in the chrome and eventually expands that pore in the chrome if not dealt with swiftly leading to full-blown rust.

The aluminum foil trick is supposed to work by scraping the rust spot off, then sloughing off some aluminum into the pore to clot it. If top-coated, this is believed to help re-seal and, because aluminum is silver in color, give a uniform flat look. I know there are plenty of folks out there who swear by this trick, especially when used with acidic agents like cola/soda, but it's not a silver bullet. The best possible solution if the chrome is not yet flaking would be a proper two-pass acid-jelly etch, followed with paint prep and clearcoat.

I feel like I have a pretty solid reputation for being fair to folks, regardless how I feel about your opinions, attitude, or actions. I'm not jiving you here. You can take it or leave it, but I've been doing this for decades with vintage cars and bikes alike. That frame isn't garbage, there's still value in it. However, it's clearly had a hard life and needs a ton of work. Most people won't invest it knowing the cost involved. As-is, it may have one owner left unless correct steps are taken, I just don't know who'd spend the money on something so low-mid range.

Likes For francophile:
Old 03-31-21, 07:10 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
I guess I missed out on the mo' money gene. Probably why I'm not wealthy in my old age. I'd feel ashamed if some ignoramus gave me $595 for that unremarkable rust bucket.
Old 03-31-21, 07:54 AM
brixxton
resykler

Chrome

Thanks for the advice.The bike isn't going anywhere. My knee jerk reaction to the $K3 Bianchi L'Eroica caused an awful lot of fuss and even some severe nastiness (eh little Alex?)
I rescue bikes that interst me.
I try not to pay more than $50
walk away if its stolen to good to be true
When I get to 10 I have to sell before I get more.
Anyway let's keep it interesting
Old 06-23-21, 10:01 AM
brixxton
resykler

Garlatti choice

lovely old stamp
wa

upgraded the rear derailleur put on a newer Camp I'm not sure exactly what model it is new matching pedals which is great good score and then I think the red looks great with the blue in the warrant so not all original anymore. I'm liking it

Last edited by brixxton; 06-23-21 at 10:14 AM. Reason: pic
Old 06-23-21, 11:02 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Might want to check that rear derailleur housing setup...
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 06-23-21, 11:16 AM
brixxton
resykler

rear derailleur

i haven't got a good rear wheel. if I wasn't chik sht id figure out how to take the original hub of the steel wheel and put it on something good
If that's possible
Old 06-24-21, 06:38 AM
brixxton
resykler

Rear Derailleur upgrades

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Might want to check that rear derailleur housing setup...

With the original steel wheel back and Campagnolo Omicron front.
Old 07-08-21, 08:04 PM
brixxton
resykler

Garlatti Redux

Garlatti Redux

A few months back I rescued an unusual bike which turned out to be a 1970 Garlatti "pure sports machine" ,not my words.Many thanks to the folks on the forum that helped me with information on the provenance of my find.
I ended up managing to keep it all original when my balloon got popped so after stripping part of the frame to reveal chrome and upgrading the Campag derailleur it got relegated to the third division with Arsenal.
Until I found out that in Europe they are selling for over 1100 Euros!!! The last one sold for sold for 1101.87 Euros.
Here we go again..............................and thanks for all the fish
Old 07-08-21, 08:40 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
what

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-08-21, 10:12 PM
philpeugeot 

Bikes: Bike Friday PRP, Bike Friday NWT, Bromton M6R, 1991 Miyata 914, 1991 Miyata 1000, 1986 Raleigh Portage, many more frames

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 181 Posts
Not this again...
Old 07-09-21, 01:50 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
If this is your Garlatti..?
Old 07-09-21, 05:52 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
If this is your Garlatti..?
Can't be, head lugs are totally different.

His is clearly a higher-end model.
Old 07-09-21, 06:14 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
More Garlatti is the updated version of more cowbell.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 07-09-21, 06:18 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick

The picture I posted is a picture, taken from the thread that he (or she) started - Garlatti Completely Origional...

If he, or she, did end up buying that gem from Vintage Steel Bicycles, I will stand corrected.
Old 07-09-21, 06:41 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick

no, read the OPs original post.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-original.html

the OP is just looking to start a fight.

Last edited by bikemig; 07-09-21 at 06:49 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.