Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Steve Bauer sirocco

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 06:10 AM
1fthwlvs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steve Bauer sirocco

I can’t find anything posted recently regarding the value of this bike… I also can’t seem to post pics here because I’m new.
it has white handlebar tape, the frame and forks are red. 80s vintage. 12 speed.
Without much more info, any ideas of the value? Thanks!

It’s in fairly good overall condition, aside from the tires needing replacement

Last edited by 1fthwlvs; 06-16-21 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Condition
Old 06-16-21, 07:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
If you have photos of it, you can post them to your album and then others may be able to post them here for you. Our you could do your maximum 5 posts a day over 2 days telling us about your bike and then post them yourself.
Old 06-16-21, 08:31 AM
1fthwlvs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I checked the albums section and the pic seems to be there In my albums… but not totally sure??
Old 06-16-21, 08:37 AM
1fthwlvs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I won’t have access to the bike until Friday, so no more details till then. I’ve also got a Raleigh Grand Prix and super record - both in about the same condition as the Steve Bauer, and I’d guess a similar vintage

I don’t know anything about the Raleighs either
Old 06-16-21, 09:11 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Old 06-16-21, 02:30 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Based on the livery, the Bauer is circa 1986-1987. I'm surprised it has Schraeder valves, which generally indicates 27" wheels. Also, the rear axle is nutted. The brakes and derailleurs appear to be Shimano entry level units, either LIght Action or Z-series. Most important unknown affecting the value is the tubeset. Given the components and era it could be anything from hi-tensile steel to a seamed double butted CrMo main triangle. Most Bauer from this era are manufactured by Maruishi.
Old 06-16-21, 06:40 PM
1fthwlvs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you be able to put a ball park estimate on it? Like, steel vs CrMo?
Old 06-18-21, 07:38 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fthwlvs
Would you be able to put a ball park estimate on it? Like, steel vs CrMo?
Not without more information. Besides the bicycle itself, location is a big factor. Metropolitan areas like the GTA are a LOT more expensive than backwaters like Dog River. Please post more pictures, specifically close-ups of the major components.
Old 06-18-21, 10:09 AM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
I'll toss a value out, given the little info and pics. Plus a few assumptions on my end.

As it sits, I'd probably spend less than 100 on it. Here's why, I can tell for sure that it's going to need tires, possibly tube repair, new handlebar tape, brake pads, cables, etc. and that's just to get it back to presentable riding shape. If I get there and the seatpost won't move, the stem won't move, the frame has damage (I don't suspect it, because though the pictures aren't great, the paint looks pretty good, but the rear wheel isn't installed fully which could mean there was an issue there, though likely just a storage thing.), or there are major issues with the components (broken derailleur, broken spokes, missing bolts), then I'd start subtracting off of 100 and possibly get to a point where I'm not interested.

I also like working on bikes like this and getting them back into shape and on the road for someone to enjoy, so factor that into the equation too, if you don't like doing this work, you'll should spend much less.

Once it's in good riding condition and the replacements/repairs are complete, I'd throw out 175-250 as a price range in my area, and that is assuming that the paint is in as good of shape as I think, if it is super scratched or rusty in spots, then subtract 50. People love to look good when they ride. 250 would mean great condition and that the frame is lighter steel as T-Mar said,

This bike is also pretty large, which could help because there's fewer out there, but there's also fewer riders. I like to sell things quicker, so keep in mind that is where my pricing comes from. I'd also likely drop the price after a week or two if there's little interest just to keep the bike moving. Now is the time of year when you shouldn't have an issue selling a bike unless you're asking too much.
Old 06-18-21, 04:09 PM
1fthwlvs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Location and pics

The bike is in the London, Ontario area

posted more pics to my album. I still can’t post them here, gotta be getting close though.

also just got my hand on a late 70s supercycle bobcat, an 80s ccm radical, and 80s? Bmx baja… haven’t started looking into values yet on those bikes

Last edited by 1fthwlvs; 06-18-21 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-18-21, 05:32 PM
1fthwlvs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fyi

Frame is tange 1000 cr-mo double butted tubes. Shimano light action rear derailleur. Shimano front derailleur. Shimano brakes and shifters.
Old 06-19-21, 12:28 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
That's a very large bike - making it a limited market - and needs new tires, tubes, brake pads, perhaps bar tape and a very good clean and tune-up.

In this condition, I'm thinking $200 to $250 CAD tops. Even in the white-hot Vancouver market, it would struggle to get $250.