Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Mid 80's Bianchi?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-21, 12:33 PM
1xGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mid 80's Bianchi?

Hi everyone, I picked this bike up over the summer from a family member, paying only to ship it from Western NE to CA - it literally sat in a basement for over 30 years, appeared to be in really good shape under the dust, so I grabbed it. I mean, everyone knows the name Bianchi, right? Well, I am a total noob with road bikes, but I am a pretty decent wrench on mountain bikes. So I didn't feel out of my depth in tearing it down to the frame, reworking all the bearings, servicing the wheel build and basically taking the whole thing apart. Per the original purchaser it is bone-stock, and I am inclined to believe him. The tires were rotten, so I put on new tires/tubes, new cables and housing (tried to match the original as well as possible) and new bar tape. It looks pretty much like I imagine it did when new, and sure rides smoothly. I guess steel framed road bikes have that characteristic? Anyway, I am hoping that this could be a good starter drop bar bike for me to put some miles on this winter while the trails are (hopefully) wet. Friction shifters and our local hills will be an adventure!

So, does anyone know what I've got here? Is it basically a klunker, or is it some sort of classic?

https://bikeforums.net/g/album/23008400

Thanks!
Old 11-17-21, 12:40 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Vittorio model myself -- I'm sure other more knowledgable folks will chime in shortly -- but that's a very nicely spec'd bike. Not a clunker at all, had to be mid-to-high end in the day. I'd put it at early to mid 80s.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 11-17-21, 12:42 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...formation.html
Old 11-17-21, 01:22 PM
1xGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good information - thank you for putting that up.
Old 11-17-21, 06:50 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Vittoria was an upper mid-range model with Campagnolo Victory component group. This particular sample is from 1985, the only year for the Bianchi Special by Columbus tubeset, which is believed to be a forerunner of Columbus Matrix/Cromor. The Vittoria was 4th in that year's road line and orignally sold for $750-$800 US.
Old 11-20-21, 02:17 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Nice Bianchi. Should be a fabulous rider.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-20-21, 03:26 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Very nice looking bike with the right name on the down tube!
Secret to friction shifting is to anticipate what gear you need and do it a bit early so you don't run out of cadence.