Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Sharpening a Headset reamer

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 01-03-22, 11:41 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

Well I borrowed the headset reamer from the shop I work at. Brazed up a sample to try it out. Oh my how dull! Spoke with a local sharping shop and he didn't know anyone who could do it.
So back to my woodworking skills. Did a bit of research and I am going to hone the appropriate face with diamond honing paddles.
Has anyone gone down this route?
Old 01-03-22, 03:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Tom- I've not done my own sharpening but here in Rochester there's a guy who has sharpened my (and other's) frame cutting tools. I can share the contact if you're interested. At one time Jim Kish (sp?) offered cutting tool sharpening (perhaps was called "the tool grinder"?). At one time I read that Park offered sharpening for their tools, unsure if they would do other brands (doubtful IMO).

I will add that machining down a head tube face is more time consuming than I would like. I will grind down and rough file the face first (I use a square placed on the face with the blade running along the HT for eyeballing) to reduce the time spent turning the facer/reamer handles. A crown race seat cutter takes even longer... When I got a second 1 1/8" headset race cutter I had the local guy open up the diameter a tad and change the tool's rake to make the cutting go faster and also to reduce the final to spec cutting to not take off too much (I found that if I ask the cutter to reduce the diameter by a lot, like a raw crown comes with, the tool can remove just a hair more than ideal). Andy
Old 01-03-22, 09:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
There are a number of places that will do it. I'm not sure I would do it myself on someone else's tools
Old 01-04-22, 06:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I contacted N-D Tool Grinding Inc today to check on their still taking in bike tool sharpening work. He is, although he said that it will take time as his industrial customers come first (the last time he did work for me it took nearly a month). He can do facers, reamers and (I think) taps. He remembers some of the frame tools he's done in the past and has no concerns about what tool needs sharpening.

N-D Tool Grinding Co Inc, 325 Mt Read Blvd, Rochester, NY, 14611, 585 621-1625 phone/fax, ndtool@frontiernet.net

He's willing to work directly with you all but if you'd rather have a local bike guy do the delivery and pick up I can make that happen too. I won't talk about prices except to say when he opened up a crown seat cutter a few thou and increased the relief angle I thought the cost was reasonable for the results. PM me if you want more info or to arrange my help. Andy
Old 01-05-22, 03:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
"Torch & File" (an offshoot of Strawberry Bicycles) offers a sharpening service. I've not used them, but if Andy Newlands and Mark DiNucci are involved, it's got to be a good sign:

https://www.torchandfile.com/tool-sh...g-service.html

I seem to recall Franklin Frames offered sharpening services as well, but their web site isn't loading.
Likes For JohnDThompson: