Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retrofriction braze-on vs clamp-on...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-22, 03:16 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts

OK, seems like a no-brainer that the answer should be 'yes', but we're speaking French here, so... it seems prudent to consult the C&V brain trust.... Will Simplex Retrofriction levers intended for braze-on mounts fit on a clamp-on DT shifter band? Thx...
Old 04-04-22, 03:51 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Oy, of course......FRENCH! Glad I asked. Or maybe I'm not....
Old 04-04-22, 06:23 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
IIRC, The thread pitch of the mounting pivot screws that came with the clamp-on Retrocriction levers are actually different from the ones provided on the ones meant for brazed-on shifter bosses. Someone else here can maybe confirm this.....
Easy enough to find replacement screws to fix the problem.
problem. I always replace the mounting pivot screws on all my Retrofriction sets to better quality ones with button style Allen headed ones. Because the stock screws with the slots tend to rust easily.

Last edited by Chombi1; 04-04-22 at 06:29 PM.
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 04-05-22, 05:38 AM
ehcoplex 

Originally Posted by Chombi1
IIRC, The thread pitch of the mounting pivot screws that came with the clamp-on Retrocriction levers are actually different from the ones provided on the ones meant for brazed-on shifter bosses. Someone else here can maybe confirm this.....
Easy enough to find replacement screws to fix the problem.
problem. I always replace the mounting pivot screws on all my Retrofriction sets to better quality ones with button style Allen headed ones. Because the stock screws with the slots tend to rust easily.
Apparently, per the older thread linked above, it can be more complicated than just swapping out the screws and the bore size in the levers might be different? I was hoping to expand my options/deal-potential if I could just put braze-on levers on the clamp from my Criterium levers, but it seems like maybe I'd save myself a potential headache by just getting some clamp-on Retrofrictions....