Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Looking to buy or rent an ISO fork disc jig

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 05-13-22, 10:12 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts

Last time I used one I borrowed from a local framebuilder here in Portland, Oregon, no longer building. If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it.

Old 05-13-22, 06:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
I no one close by steps up let me know. I bought Starmichael's when I was last in Portland. Andy
Old 05-15-22, 10:59 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 87 Posts
I have a Phrunt Shui in Seattle I could send you to borrow. I think it would fit in the small USPS fixed rate box for like $6-7 each way.
Likes For duanedr:
Old 05-15-22, 11:01 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Last time I used one I borrowed from a local framebuilder here in Portland, Oregon, no longer building. If anybody can help, I'd much appreciate it.
Replying to your post so you get notified.
Old 05-15-22, 11:08 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I no one close by steps up let me know. I bought Starmichael's when I was last in Portland. Andy
Damn, missed hooking up with you!
Old 05-15-22, 11:10 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by duanedr
I have a Phrunt Shui in Seattle I could send you to borrow. I think it would fit in the small USPS fixed rate box for like $6-7 each way.
Replying to your post so you get notified.
I found an incepi online and ordered it. If it gets back ordered, I'll take you up on your offer, thanks!
Old 05-15-22, 01:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,792 Times in 2,271 Posts
Mark- I would be interested in your experiences with the Incepi after you used it. Andy
Old 05-15-22, 06:10 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Question, I know it's not as good as a dedicated jig, but if you had the hub and brake, could you just put the hub in the frame/fork and clamp the brake onto the rotor, use that to tack? Maybe small quick tacks so you don't melt anything on the hub or the brake?

I know I did that on a tandem once long ago, like in the '80s, but I don't remember the brake brand or how well that method worked.

I guess if the brake has a piston on one side only*, then you might need to shim the rotor/hub connection while tacking, then take the shims out for use, so the rotor ends up centered between the pads when they're retracted.

* I don't pay attention to disk brakes, are they even made like that anymore? I'm guessing hydro brakes come in from both sides equally.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 05-16-22, 02:05 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Question, I know it's not as good as a dedicated jig, but if you had the hub and brake, could you just put the hub in the frame/fork and clamp the brake onto the rotor, use that to tack? Maybe small quick tacks so you don't melt anything on the hub or the brake?

I know I did that on a tandem once long ago, like in the '80s, but I don't remember the brake brand or how well that method worked.

I guess if the brake has a piston on one side only*, then you might need to shim the rotor/hub connection while tacking, then take the shims out for use, so the rotor ends up centered between the pads when they're retracted.

* I don't pay attention to disk brakes, are they even made like that anymore? I'm guessing hydro brakes come in from both sides equally.

Mark B
I did that on my (so far) one disk fork. Worked for me (TIG tacking). So many ways to screw things up with all the different standards out there it's quite nice to work with the actual caliper and disk you're going to use when you're tacking it. That way nothing can go wrong. Well, less can go wrong anyway!
Likes For guy153:
Old 06-04-22, 07:56 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
more like $8.95 now, DeJoy at work
Old 06-04-22, 09:14 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
Any reportable info on using the Incepi jig?
Old 06-05-22, 06:30 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
You would think someone bought one since Eric/Incepi was the first to have a post mount front jig.
Old 06-05-22, 09:16 AM
8aaron8

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
It works just as expected. Really easy to loosen, file and swing back to make sure the brake boss fits the blade. Also, unlike the flat mount front adapter, the post mount gives plenty of torch access.
Old 06-18-22, 06:23 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Mark- I would be interested in your experiences with the Incepi after you used it. Andy
Originally Posted by bulgie

Mark B
Originally Posted by Cynikal
Any reportable info on using the Incepi jig?
Got it last week (ships from Canada), Works pretty much as advertised.

This is a fork I started on 5 years ago, just now getting around to finish it up. I forgot that the SL dropouts I used are stainless, I took a lot of time to carefully file the small attachment area on the disk brake bit for a snug fit as I had to use silver alloy filler just on this region. A careful perusal will reveal some repair work, which has been effected.
Old 06-20-22, 07:18 AM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
Thanks for the report on the tool. I bought one a few months ago and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Hopefully that will change soon.