Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cyclepro bikes?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cyclepro bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 08:30 AM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Cyclepro bikes?

Here's one to get your hearts racing! I found this garage hanger, a Cyclepro Optima, at a sale for a couple bucks. I know it's low end, but I was wondering if anyone had any information on Cyclepro bicycles. My internet research has yielded very little information other than it is possibly a Swedish make, and that Cyclepro manufactured some notable BMX and mountain bikes in the past. I found this spartan website, but alas cannot read Swedish. Or is it related to the company that manufactures inexpensive bike parts and accessories?

Date code on the Suntour components places it about 1987. It sports Tange 900 Double butted main tubes, while the stays and fork are probably high-tensile. It's probably a Taiwanese build, but that sticker appears to have fallen off.

The components are nothing unusual: Suntour Alpha 3000, Dia-Compe brakes and levers, Joytech hubs, Sakae SX crank, Hsin Lung bars (never seen these before - maybe for good reason).

Components are cheap, but the frame looks decently built with not-so-sloppy lugwork. It also has a pretty pearl white paint in great condition. Decals are horrible, but probably easy to peel! The Tange label was applied crookedly. Is this a case of a company buying a frame, then slapping some parts and their decals on it for sale?

Anyone know anything about these bikes or the Cyclepro marque?

P.S. Yes, it's missing a freewheel. I removed it for servicing

Likes For JunkYardBike:
Old 11-28-06, 08:49 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
CyclePro was a brand of West Coast Cycle Supply, the importer on the West Coast for Nishiki. First used for accessories and parts. Not sure why they added a brand, perhaps to sell to shops that could not sell Nishiki (territory issues) and that they wanted to sell to.

Don't know who built them. Is there a country of origin label on it?
Old 11-28-06, 01:48 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Is there a country of origin label on it?
No, no labels like that. On the frame, a label has fallen off; most likely a "Made in Taiwan" label. There are two number codes pressed into the non-drive side of the downtube "DS70" and "518433" - I'm sure those are meaningless.

The frame does look very similar to a Nishiki Sport currently in my possession, and that one was made in Taiwan.
Old 11-29-06, 10:03 PM
M-theory

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought that Cycle Pro was Italian. I had nice Cycle Pro headset on my Viner track bike...it said: Cycle Pro Italy. I remeber somebody remarking they thought it was an off-shoot of Miche.....?
Old 12-24-06, 10:19 PM
wrote4luck

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Six 13, 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My dad had a fairly nice cyclepro mountain bike in the early 90's. It had those elliptical chainrings on it. I rode it till it fell apart when I was 15, and it was a nicely built bike.
Old 12-25-06, 01:19 AM
raverson

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I picked up a CyclePro mtb last month on CL. It appears to be all original except for the rear derailer which had been SunTour and is now Shimano. It has SunTour ratchet thumb shifters and chrome bull moose bars. Also Dia Compe canti's that are stamped '83. The frame has a sticker that says Japan.
Old 12-25-06, 11:58 AM
rmikkelsen

Bikes: '78 Chris Kvale, '87 Paramount

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can read enough Swedish to tell you that the site you mentioned has nothing to do with manufacturing. It is sort of the home page of an intended fan site with Velonews-style asipriations. They promise to present the "true picture of a cyclist" and provide news from the international cycling scene, such as biographies of international stars and Swedish amateurs on the way up.
Old 12-25-06, 12:16 PM
balindamood
Wrench Savant

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 38 Posts
As mentioned, Cyclepro was a brand of Est Coast Cycle. They were made in Taiwan in the mid-80's. They were a step down from Nishiki, but good entry level bikes (better than Takara and others of the time). I sold a number of them. I think the frame construction and paint were very good for the price point, with servicable, albeit low-end, components. I wouldn't mind finding one in the shape you have, though I have always has a soft spot for their three-speeds.
Old 12-25-06, 12:59 PM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I helped part a Cycle Pro road frame for the co op, it was a nice frame, but the tubes were rusted through. If you can find one in good shape its a nice bike. The rusted one was hacksawed into "art".
Old 12-25-06, 01:26 PM
gm1230126
barnfullagts

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
No, no labels like that. On the frame, a label has fallen off; most likely a "Made in Taiwan" label. There are two number codes pressed into the non-drive side of the downtube "DS70" and "518433" - I'm sure those are meaningless.

The frame does look very similar to a Nishiki Sport currently in my possession, and that one was made in Taiwan.
Anything stamped DS out of Taiwan from that era was produced by DODSUN. The first bike manufacturer in Taiwan to have ISO 9001 in place. Yes even before Giant, Merida and all the others. They were a full line manufacturer producing frames, doing assembly, painting. In most recent years they have been mostly a final assembly factory, sourcing the frames and doing the painting and final assembly in house. When the industry shifted from Japan to Taiwan many bike companies had Dodsun producing bikes for them. Specialized, GT, Iron Horse, Raleigh, Nishiki, Derby and many others. spent more than a few hours in their offices in the mid 90's.
Old 01-10-11, 11:13 PM
raverson

Originally Posted by raverson
I picked up a CyclePro mtb last month on CL. It appears to be all original except for the rear derailer which had been SunTour and is now Shimano. It has SunTour ratchet thumb shifters and chrome bull moose bars. Also Dia Compe canti's that are stamped '83. The frame has a sticker that says Japan.
It's been quite a while but I finally got around to snapping a picture of the bike plus another one I acquired. Says Ram on the top tube which I assume to be the model. Sunshine Gyromaster hubs are stamped 11/82. Serial # KC14479

The other bike is a CyclePro Skyline model and it has a 4130 cromoly sticker. SR brand hubs are stamped F and K 83, which I figure are June and Dec. of '83. Serial # DSBM 31205393

Anything stamped DS out of Taiwan from that era was produced by DODSUN. The first bike manufacturer in Taiwan to have ISO 9001 in place. Yes even before Giant, Merida and all the others.
Interesting that these would appear to be manufactured in '83 and '84, but with different serial # formats and coming from different factories and countries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.jpg (97.5 KB, 441 views)
008.jpg (93.1 KB, 403 views)
009.jpg (96.8 KB, 413 views)
013.jpg (95.3 KB, 415 views)
020.jpg (100.3 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by raverson; 01-11-11 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added info
Likes For raverson:
Old 01-11-11, 10:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by raverson
It's been quite a while but I finally got around to snapping a picture of the bike plus another one I acquired. Says Ram on the top tube which I assume to be the model. Sunshine Gyromaster hubs are stamped 11/82. Serial # KC14479

The other bike is a CyclePro Skyline model and it has a 4130 cromoly sticker. SR brand hubs are stamped F and K which I figure are June and Dec. of '83. Serial # DSBM 31205393

Interesting that these would appear to be manufactured in '83 and '84, but with different serial # formats and coming from different factories and countries.
Well, based on the serial number the blue Cyclepro ATB is definitely a 1983 Kawamura built frame. That's not surprising given that Kawamura also built Nishiki, another of West Coast Cycle's brands. In this case, there's absolutely no doubt to the lineage, as the shell has the WCC logo.

I'm also not suprised to see the bicycles coming from two different manufacturers, despite the close time frame. During this period, Nishiki production was split between Kawamura and Giant, typically with Kawamura handling the mid and upper range models while Giant concentrated on the entry level models. It's hard to tell if there's a difference in the level of the bicycles, as the blue one appears to have a replacement rear derailleur and forks, but conceivably the Dodsun frame is just a bit lower level, at a point where Kawamura was not cost effective.

I'm not sure that this is the case, but Cyclepro may have taken over the position of the Azuki brand in WCC's product line.
Old 01-12-11, 08:31 AM
raverson

Thanks for the reply T-Mar.

I'm not sure that this is the case, but Cyclepro may have taken over the position of the Azuki brand in WCC's product line.
Interesting comment, and one that would explain how Azuki somehow vanished from the early 80's marketplace.
Old 06-09-12, 11:52 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Reviving an old thread. Picked up a CP Skyline today and it came with Shimano Deerhead components. Original pedals are bearclaw with a fourleaf clover (?)
Old 06-09-12, 02:18 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Interesting. Tom just gave me a lady's 3 speed with the Shimano 333 hub. Not a really interesting bike but there's a neighbor around here who could use it.
Old 06-09-12, 07:12 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
I think it was too close to breakfast,ha, beartrap pedals...
Old 12-04-14, 07:33 PM
vintagepedals

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA,'81 Team/Pro Miyatas, '83 Mercian Vincitore, '85 E.M Corsa, '85 Cherubim, '85 Raleigh Prestige, '89/90 3Rensho, '85 Allez, '86 Bertoni, '90 GL Ventoux, '91 RB-2/RB-1, '92 Bianchi SBX,'92 Miyata 914/714, '98 Colnago Decor, '98 GT Force

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
my vintage cyclepro arroyo mtb with deore components & with a bullmoose stem!
Attached Images
IMG_3650.jpg (47.0 KB, 375 views)
IMG_3649.jpg (49.9 KB, 363 views)
IMG_3644.jpg (51.7 KB, 678 views)
IMG_3643.jpg (51.4 KB, 679 views)
IMG_3647.jpg (47.9 KB, 678 views)
Likes For vintagepedals: