Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

18 speed Fuji Saratoga 1980's or 1990's

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 08-29-09, 07:08 PM
cyanemi

Bikes: 1989 Fuji Saratoga, Salsa Mukluk, Electra Townie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have the opportunity to buy a Fuji Saratoga. I test rode it tonight. The guy who is selling it, is my uncle in law, he is 90. He does not remember what year the bike is. He says at different times he paid $800 at other times almost $1000, which was a great deal of money for whatever year it was sold. I think he quit biking long distances at about 86. It is Navy blue with a light blue stem for the handlebars.There are sort of decals on the bike green and red I think. The shifters are at the bar ends. The components are suntour. There are at least two bottle holders on the bike. The bike is very comfortable, smooth, solid. I did not have my camera when I went to see it. Does anyone know what year this bike is and how much I should pay? He said a couple of hundred If it is worth more than that I want to pay what it is worth. It has been garaged. The paint has some scuffs. No rust, probably needs a tune up. Tires seemed great and he had a bunch of extra tubes. I searched the internet and cannot find the exact bike. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-09, 08:07 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
It's a very nice touring bike. I recently listed a '90 in excellent condition on the NYC metro area craigslist for $275 and sold it for $225. There wasn't as much interest as I had anticipated. I think it was worth every penny of that $225. It's a very competent full touring bike if that's what you seek. How much you spend depends on your perspective. A new touring bike is over $1000. If you can buy the Saratoga for considerably less, invest in some solid wheels (the equipped wheels are probably sufficient, but if I were touring for very long, I'd want upgrades) and purchase racks + panniers + other needed equipment, I bet you could come in under $1000 total.

Here's a link to an online resource for Fuji catalogs, showing the Saratoga models:

https://classicfuji.com/Saratoga_Model_Years_Thumbs.htm
Old 08-29-09, 08:17 PM
cyanemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Saratoga

Thanks, I think it is the 1989 in a navy(rainbow blue) and the light blue was the handlebar stem. I plan to use it in triathlons. I need a road bike and don't want to spend a fortune. I have an electra townie that I like a lot but it is slow. Just a couple of miles on this bike and I knew immediately that it was fast,at least faster than what I have!
Old 08-29-09, 09:57 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Originally Posted by cyanemi
Thanks, I think it is the 1989 in a navy(rainbow blue) and the light blue was the handlebar stem. I plan to use it in triathlons. I need a road bike and don't want to spend a fortune. I have an electra townie that I like a lot but it is slow. Just a couple of miles on this bike and I knew immediately that it was fast,at least faster than what I have!
Well, if you can get it for $200, it would be a good investment, because you should be able to resell it for that price if you give it some time. However, it's really a loaded touring bike, meaning it's a bit heavier than conventional road bikes, and it's got relaxed geometry that won't be nearly as responsive as something with tighter angles, lighter tubes, and less weight. I suppose you could use any bike for a triathlon, but if I were you I'd be looking for a late 80's Japanese built road race bike, which are probably the best bargain around currently.
Old 08-29-09, 10:02 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Originally Posted by wrk101
Nice vintage touring bikes are really hot right now. I am very surprised one went for only $225 in NYC.

Go to the vintage Fuji site and you can find plenty of information.
I was surprised, too, but I guess Fuji didn't have a very strong marketing department. The name is simply less recognized in touring bikes. Besides, I don't think many New Yorkers tour...they think the world ends outside of Manhattan! Italian race bikes on the other hand...
Old 08-30-09, 07:10 AM
cyanemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
80's Japanese road racing bikes

I'm not very informed on this subject could you give me some specifics;make, model? Thanks. The other thing is I'm a 5'6" female and this Saratoga fits me (at least it feels like it does). Uncle Bob is small for a man and thats one of the reasons I thought of his bike.
Old 08-30-09, 07:00 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

A Japanese racing bike would be a better choice.
+1 A Japanese built racer from the mid to late 80s will give you your biggest bang for the buck. Unfortunately, there are so many manufacturers and so many models, that it's hard to list them all here. If you want a deal, you'll have to invest some time in learning...or if you'd rather get set up now, there's nothing wrong with an entry level road race bike from the LBS.

The best way to learn is to post potential finds here, list your criteria and needs, and ask if it's an appropriate choice. You may be too late to get the bike in question, but you'll learn what to look for.

Off the top of my head, a couple you could look for are Schwinn Prelude, Premis, Circuit, and Peloton; Miyata 7xx or higher; Centurion IronMan, Turbo, Comp T/A; Fuji Team and Club, Panasonic 5000 or higher; Raleigh 'Team' bikes.

Also, go here to figure out your frame size; it will save you some grief:

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3360/...7c92854f_o.jpg

Aim for the middle for your height, but you may need a larger or smaller frame depending on your leg length. Also be sure to figure out what your best top tube length is: shorter for short torso/short arms, longer for long torso/long arms.
Old 08-30-09, 09:18 PM
cyanemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
vintage

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-19-09, 05:34 AM
cyanemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here are some poor pictures of the Fuji Saratoga. WHich I think is a 1989. It rides great and is as fast as I want. I am thrilled that I did not buy a new road bike and saved all this money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fuji badge.jpg (38.3 KB, 717 views)
Fuji feather.jpg (42.5 KB, 719 views)
Fuji full 11-18-09.jpg (71.2 KB, 751 views)
Fuji full.jpg (70.3 KB, 740 views)
Old 11-19-09, 06:16 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,559 Times in 3,763 Posts
That frame is too large for someone who is 5' 6" tall. It appears to be 56 cm c-t-c which would be more appropriate for someone who is around 5' 11".
Old 11-19-09, 07:14 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
wow great looking bike! I always thought those late '80s early '90s Fuji touring bikes were some of the best around. alot of people I rode with had them and more often than not rode them more than their nice Italian rode bikes. I hope you really enjoy this beautiful bike.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-19-09, 08:05 AM
cyanemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1. Too big. It looks to be either a 22 inch or a 23 inch frame.

Nice looking bike, good find!

I did notice that it was too big. The guy I bought it from is 5'4" in shoes and apparently it worked for him. He did alot of centuries and double centuries on it.
I rode it about 10 miles yesterday and did not have any issues (yet).
Old 11-19-09, 08:01 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

I don't know gentlemen, it is hard to tell from the angle of the pics but I do not think this bike is that big. it looks like a 56 to me. perhaps we should politely ask the OP to measure it for us

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-19-09, 08:53 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I don't know gentlemen, it is hard to tell from the angle of the pics but I do not think this bike is that big. it looks like a 56 to me. perhaps we should politely ask the OP to measure it for us
+1 that looks about a 55 (21 inch) or a 56 based on the head tube size. I can see someone doing some slow centuries with it and be fine and comfortable, and it could be ok to actually race it in tri's (sprints) but one would need:

-a new saddle (and maybe a new seat post if the one on it is the impaling kind)
-new pedals (cage 105s at least)
-lose the rack, kickstand and reflectors
-get at most 25s as far as tires are concerned (these look 32ish)
-add a clip-on aero bar
-lower that stem

the bike looks really nice. And if someone is illustrious enough he/she could get a full tribar up front, add aero brakes in the bullhorns and move the bar end shifters to the aero bar ends and get a cockpit config similar to the modern tri bikes...

Last edited by EjustE; 11-19-09 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-19-09, 09:04 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

+1 Poor choice for racing/triathlon. Its a touring bike, designed to carry heavy loads and travel thousands of miles. Geared for that service and not for racing. A Japanese racing bike would be a better choice.

At the same time, it is better than a townie.
agreed on the last part only. You can race a sprint triathlon (20K) non-competitively in this bike. Lots of people do it in mountain bikes. I have raced the distance in hilly courses in a vintage 3x7 cross bike with 32s and 27ish lbs and now I am building a vintage 3x6 sports/touring geometry bike (with 25s and 23ish lbs) to replace it as my hilly course tri bike for next season. (of course, I am an age-grouper and nothing close to elite)

Not a bad choice for a tri bike, but some changes need to be made; and if the OP is planning on doing any long rides/centuries, that can be a double duty bike...
Old 11-20-09, 06:52 PM
cyanemi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EjustE
+1 that looks about a 55 (21 inch) or a 56 based on the head tube size. I can see someone doing some slow centuries with it and be fine and comfortable, and it could be ok to actually race it in tri's (sprints) but one would need:

-a new saddle (and maybe a new seat post if the one on it is the impaling kind)
-new pedals (cage 105s at least)
-lose the rack, kickstand and reflectors

-get at most 25s as far as tires are concerned (these look 32ish)
-add a clip-on aero bar
-lower that stem

the bike looks really nice. And if someone is illustrious enough he/she could get a full tribar up front, add aero brakes in the bullhorns and move the bar end shifters to the aero bar ends and get a cockpit config similar to the modern tri bikes...
Thanks for the input. It is at the bike shop now getting new tires, tape and a tuneup. I am definitely not going to be winning any medals in the triathlon. I just wanted a faster bike and one that would go long distances. Compared to the townie it is super fast. The LBS agreed it was somewhat too big for me, but would be functional. I already love the thing.
Old 11-20-09, 09:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

E you never spent anytime trying to hang with a bunch of gys riding those Saroga, America and Opus tourers. with the group I used to ride with coverd 100 miles pretty quick. not a race worthy pace but those old guys could move!

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-20-09, 09:21 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
E you never spent anytime trying to hang with a bunch of gys riding those Saroga, America and Opus tourers. with the group I used to ride with coverd 100 miles pretty quick. not a race worthy pace but those old guys could move!
I would not doubt it (it is the engine after all ) but this bike could move a tad faster with a few little improvements like skinnier tires and weight reduction by removing unnecessary things (rack and kickstand). Up to now I have been doing all my centuries in my '91 cross bike with either 35 or 38 inch tires, ultra comfortably and between 4 and 5 hrs depending on the ride course. And the thing weighs about 28 lbs or so. But... a century is one story and a spring triathlon 20k (where you have to save your legs to run a 5k right after it) is a different story... you got to save your legs for the run.
Old 07-17-16, 01:07 PM
Drafdog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18 speed Fuji Saratoga

I'm just back to the apartment from the bike shop. I paid $200 for a brand spanking new hardly out of the box Fuji Saratoga. The paint is pristine. The shop replaced the tires, did the bearings, adjusted the cables/shifters. The bike feels very good. The tag on the bike in the shop indicated it is a 1993. I'm looking up the serial number to investigate it.
The sad thing is that this is the third bike I've owned at this address. The first was a Centurion from the late 60's. It was a 10 speed and I loved it. I restored it completely after I paid the original owner (now in his 90's) $75. It was in my minivan when the van was stolen from the parking lot. The second was a Miyata 310 which appeared to have been stored for most of its life. $50 at a yard sale and then I restored it as well. Stolen from the same lot. I had it chained to the parking structure. This one will live in the apartment as it is well light enough that I can carry it down and up the stairs when I want to go for a spin. I'm turning 69 in early August and I want something for fitness. The Fuji Saratoga looks like the answer.
Old 07-17-16, 03:52 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 932 Posts
Third time is a charm!

Best of luck and hope you're enjoying riding it!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 07-17-16, 06:59 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Is this a necro thread..?
Old 07-17-16, 07:33 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Is this a necro thread..?
More like a phoenix thread... rising out of the ashes of a 2009 thread.
Old 02-16-17, 11:11 AM
sellwinerugs

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1988 Fuji Saratogo

Does anyone know what wheel size Fuji designed these frames for?

I found a frame set online, but the seller doesn't know if it's for 700c or 27-inch wheels.

Frame is clean, straight, and awesome. The paint scheme suggests it's a 1988. I think at this point in the '80s most tourers had 700c wheels, but i thought I would shout out to forums to make sure before I buy.

Old 02-16-17, 11:24 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
This page says that the 1988 had 27" wheels, and it appears that the Saratoga didn't have 700c until the 1990 model.

If you want to go to 700c, though, you could probably get brakes that allow enough adjustment. It's only a 4mm difference in pad position.
Old 02-16-17, 06:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by sellwinerugs
Does anyone know what wheel size Fuji designed these frames for?

I found a frame set online, but the seller doesn't know if it's for 700c or 27-inch wheels.

Frame is clean, straight, and awesome. The paint scheme suggests it's a 1988. I think at this point in the '80s most tourers had 700c wheels, but i thought I would shout out to forums to make sure before I buy.

If its for sure an '88, then 27"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.