Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Bike trailer for babies?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Bike trailer for babies?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-11, 08:03 PM
coralreef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike trailer for babies?

I had this idea; I need feedback.

When we moved here, we found an old bike trailer that had been left on the back deck (uncovered) for who knows how long. The frame itself seems to be in good shape, and the wheels/tires just need a tune-up. The outside cloth/vinyl covering has deteriorated significantly, and really just needs to be trashed. I was thinking about having my husband add bars in the right position on the frame to allow our infant car seats (we have 2 1/2 month old twins) to "snap" in place, like the "snap-and-go" strollers. Would the combination of the snap function to hold the car seats in the trailer and the car seats themselves be safe/secure enough to allow me to go out with the babies before they have the neck strength to ride sitting upright with a helmet?
Old 07-09-11, 09:10 PM
BHOFM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there a brand name any where on the trailer?
Pictures would help. The higher end trailer have
most of the part available.
Old 07-10-11, 07:55 AM
coralreef

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The trailer frame itself is in good shape; that's why I'm thinking it could be converted to a "snap-and-go" variety, but I want to know if people think it's possible. As for restoring it, I can get the material and sew a replacement shell for cheaper than I can get it from the companies. We also have a fully-functional bike trailer right now, so this would be a 2nd exclusively for infant use.
Old 07-10-11, 09:24 AM
BHOFM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, It is possible, sit and think about the safety aspect for a while.
The seats should be rear facing to start with and then later be able
to turn them around. Does it have roll bars? Perimeter frame?

Weight is always something to think about as well. You will want to
test it with ballast to get the tire pressure right to keep bounce to
a min. Maybe a pole and flag, flashing lights? Remember, you are
carrying the most precious cargo on earth.

I am a safety nut, OSHA investigator retired.

BTW, I am a twin, wife is a triplet, twin grandsons, twin granddaughters.
Old 07-12-11, 04:54 AM
Joyfulmama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it is totally doable. We have an infant seat permanently mounted on a bike rack. It is very cool and works well for little ones. I would love to see pictures!
Old 07-14-11, 11:05 AM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I don't think rear facing is a priority, that's more for controlling forward momentum during a crash. You won't be going those speeds very often (or at least should not). Not worrying about rear facing will simplify your engineering solution. But if you think it is important don't let anyone tell you different .

Do have some sort of screen over the kids to protect them from debris in the air and kicked up by your rear tire.

Getting two seats in the trailer will be the tough part. If you make it post pictures of what you came up with.

Awesome that you can sew up a new cover. It is a bit of robbery for what they charge for replacements.
Old 07-18-11, 05:28 AM
trike_guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience, from my two kids before they were strong enough to lift their heads, is that they aren't going to be delighted to be bouncing along looking at your feet. We had the 1st one in a trailer maybe once when he was so young. For this, we laid him in his carry cot in the trailer. The 2nd one, we got a trike with a large "box" in front, so that at least the baby could look up at her parents and trees passing overhead. That has worked much much better for everyone. Still some crying and stopping, but at least you have constant eye contact!
Old 07-18-11, 06:32 PM
coralreef

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trike_guy
My experience, from my two kids before they were strong enough to lift their heads, is that they aren't going to be delighted to be bouncing along looking at your feet. We had the 1st one in a trailer maybe once when he was so young. For this, we laid him in his carry cot in the trailer. The 2nd one, we got a trike with a large "box" in front, so that at least the baby could look up at her parents and trees passing overhead. That has worked much much better for everyone. Still some crying and stopping, but at least you have constant eye contact!
Good feedback, thanks! My "goal" (if it works, I still have to convince my husband) is to be able to go out during nap time, when they'll be sleeping anyway. We'll see.