Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

My new 1998 GT STS-1000 full suspension - carbon/aluminum

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 05:59 PM
owenmyers

Bikes: Fondriest, 86 Team Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got rid of my 1994 GT zaskar and upgraded to this amazing bike. It's a 1998 GT STS-1000 full suspension, picked it up for one hell of a deal, only $275.00 . I'm in the process of upgrading some of the components. I already put some XTR V-brakes on and i'm about to install this XTR rear derailleur that has a backwards pull. I have a King headset on my specialized FSR ltd. i might swap over.

Anyway, I have a few questions about this bike. When i brought it into my lbs, they were shocked and had not seen one in years. They told me it sold for $3,400 brand new in 1998 and had no idea what it could be worth today. So my questions are how much is it worth and will it break if i jump it?

Components:

Frame - 19.5" GT STS 1000 DH? full suspension carbon frame with aluminum rear triangle and lugs
Fork - Rock Shox Judy XL long travel w/ cartridge system
Rear suspension - Rock Shox coupe deluxe
Wheelset - Mavic X221 rims w/ Deore LX Parallax hubs
Cranks - Deore LX
Rear derailleur - Deore XT (XTR coming soon!)
Front derailleur - Deore LX
Shifters/brake levers - Deore XT 3x8
Brake calipers - Shimano XTR
Bars - FSA Maximus
Stem - Bontrager?
Pedals - Forte?
Seat - Serfas ARC kevlar

Thanks for looking!
Here's some pictures of the bike, and a few shots of me and my homie at sheep hills hitting some small jumps. (Kona scrap)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
WP_000962.jpg (98.0 KB, 142 views)
WP_000963.jpg (99.4 KB, 89 views)
WP_000964.jpg (101.1 KB, 94 views)
SavedPicture (16).jpg (99.2 KB, 98 views)
SavedPicture (19).jpg (100.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 09-17-12, 06:12 PM
mystolenbikes

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you basically bought a mountain bike version of this car. Congratulations.

Old 09-17-12, 06:34 PM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And how is the car relevant? Price?
Old 09-17-12, 06:46 PM
mystolenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by owenmyers
And how is the car relevant? Price?
Nope..it's a junk.

I'm so sorry brother I know you already bought it and spend your hard earned money on it but you should've done bit more search and waited and saved a few more bucks for something little better.
Here are a few examples.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...278648287.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...272227954.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...271463785.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...277640694.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...276880810.html

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...276854921.html
Old 09-17-12, 08:28 PM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I beg to differ. How is an ironhorse from Target with no name components better? I'm very pleased with my GT and the way it rides. It's also much lighter than all the bikes listed above. Junk? not even close.
Old 09-17-12, 08:48 PM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They ate pivot bushings and bearings, and the rears had a fair bit of cracking issues over the years. It's not a bike I'd be jumping or riding crazy aggressively on at this point, let's put it that way.

Plus, it's just a plain dated design, with quite old shock and fork technology. There are many, many, many bikes that will ride and pedal way better.

If you like it and are happy, that's all that matters. What it's worth is what you can get someone willing to pay for it. It's not a particularly coveted classic, and that one looks to be fairly beat down besides. Other than the XTR stuff that you're adding, there isn't really anything high zoot on it. You'd sink more money into the thing to shine it up than you'll ever get out of it selling the thing. Ride it and have fun.
Old 09-17-12, 09:06 PM
mystolenbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I beg to differ. How is an ironhorse from Target with no name components better? I'm very pleased with my GT and the way it rides. It's also much lighter than all the bikes listed above. Junk? not even close.
lol that was the point. even that ironhorse is better than that GT. plus rest of the other bikes I posted were specialized and newer GTs.

Here is another car analogy, even the cheapest car today is a much better car then 1980s Cadillac.
Old 09-18-12, 02:36 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
From the look of the bike, and what you paid; looks like you got a good deal, if you are looking at it as a retro bike.

The STS does have a bit of a reputation for cracking, if / when this does happen (especially if your are riding it like pics 4/5), you should get your money back by selling off the components, as it has a pretty good spec.
Old 09-18-12, 04:22 AM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
From the look of the bike, and what you paid; looks like you got a good deal, if you are looking at it as a retro bike.

The STS does have a bit of a reputation for cracking, if / when this does happen (especially if your are riding it like pics 4/5), you should get your money back by selling off the components, as it has a pretty good spec.

I want what you're smoking. Clapped out mostly LX parts with a smattering of STX, XT, and XTR and some beat down looking house brand parts/not great suspension parts when they were new are not going to fetch him much to be even worth shipping.
Old 09-18-12, 04:36 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by scrublover
I want what you're smoking. Clapped out mostly LX parts with a smattering of STX, XT, and XTR and some beat down looking house brand parts/not great suspension parts when they were new are not going to fetch him much to be even worth shipping.
Are you sure you are replying to the correct post? no STX listed in the OP's spec

8 speed XT (shifters, brake levers and RD) can go for big money on ebay on a good day, same with the XTR brakes, as the are no longer available, I sold a set for these for virtually retail earlier this year, (although I'm UK based, I have sold bike parts to the US for good money). Will give you that the LX FD won't be worth much selling.

No reason why that bike can't be broken and the parts sold to break even, and maybe a small profit at the end of the bikes life.
Old 09-18-12, 08:24 AM
theextremist04
Señor Member

Bikes: CAAD10CAAD10CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with scrublover on this one. 15 year old MTB components aren't worth a ton at this point.
Old 09-18-12, 09:13 AM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theextremist04
I'm with scrublover on this one........

That's gonna cause you problems. He's a bad seed.
Old 09-18-12, 09:24 AM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno - I have a 1989 Teesdale Brave Warrior that I have been offered all kinds of money for. The older, rarer bikes are worth hanging onto. I like the look of yours!

Old 09-18-12, 11:39 AM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure my GT is fairly rare, not too many people were interested in buying a $3,400 MTB in 98. In addition, it rides much better than most of you think. Maybe you just haven't had a chance to ride one yet. But i agree with you guys for the most part, the rear end is held on by bushings but i'm trying to get some sealed bearings in there. There is a fair amount of creaking. And yes the LX components could be better. But this frame seems like a nice piece of MTB history.

lol that was the point. even that ironhorse is better than that GT. plus rest of the other bikes I posted were specialized and newer GTs.

Here is another car analogy, even the cheapest car today is a much better car then 1980s Cadillac.
No. Have a nice collection of road bike derailleurs from the 80's. All of them work better than 90% of what is available today. Cadillac? come on... No need to hate on them too.

Nice Teesdale w/ Campagnolo magohn!
Old 09-18-12, 03:39 PM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Are you sure you are replying to the correct post? no STX listed in the OP's spec

8 speed XT (shifters, brake levers and RD) can go for big money on ebay on a good day, same with the XTR brakes, as the are no longer available, I sold a set for these for virtually retail earlier this year, (although I'm UK based, I have sold bike parts to the US for good money). Will give you that the LX FD won't be worth much selling.

No reason why that bike can't be broken and the parts sold to break even, and maybe a small profit at the end of the bikes life.

Yep, my bad on the STX. I still stand by the rest of my post. Granted, I'm going by some not very good pics - but the pics make it look as if everything is pretty clapped out. Sure, he'd get good money if everything was in tip top shape, but it doesn't appear to be.

For the OP: Ride it, have fun with it, but don't be surprised if you don't get much cash out of it.
Old 09-18-12, 03:40 PM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
I dunno - I have a 1989 Teesdale Brave Warrior that I have been offered all kinds of money for. The older, rarer bikes are worth hanging onto. I like the look of yours!
A Brave Warrior with Campy mtb parts is a very, very different beast than the OP's bike, and I'm sure you know that...

Last edited by dminor; 09-18-12 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-18-12, 06:05 PM
magohn

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scrublover
A Brave Warrior with Campy mtb parts is a very, very different beast than the OP's bike, and I'm sure you know that...
True but vintage is vintage. There is something cool about the OPs bike (style). I think he got a great deal
Old 09-18-12, 09:23 PM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by magohn
True but vintage is vintage. There is something cool about the OPs bike (style). I think he got a great deal
Yes, but I'm not saying he didn't get a great deal. I'm saying trying to flip some of the parts for more than he paid for it may not happen.

I'd also not really qualify that bike in the "vintage" category.
Old 09-18-12, 09:40 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
I thought those have all cracked at this point in time, guess that thought was wrong. Have to agree with scrublover with this. It's not like we are talking NOS 8 speed xtr or a NOS deer head XT, or a Fat Chance in near mint condition.
Old 09-19-12, 12:13 PM
chadwebster

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert, Bianchi Sport SX, SR Pro Racing, Vitus 979, Cannondale mountain bike, Schwinn Prologue TT Bike, Litespeed Tuscany, Principia Rex Pro (frame broke), Rossin (model unknown), Litespeed Classic, Schwinn prelude

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am going to disagree with the haters and say that bike looks like a blast to ride! And for under $300 who cares if it is in tip top condition, you are still gonn ahave a ton of fun, thats what matters. And those are the sheep hills in Costa Mesa on the Bluffs correct? If so you might see me there someday with my late 90's Cannondale haha
Old 09-19-12, 07:40 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by chadwebster
I am going to disagree with the haters and say that bike looks like a blast to ride! And for under $300 who cares if it is in tip top condition, you are still gonn ahave a ton of fun, thats what matters. And those are the sheep hills in Costa Mesa on the Bluffs correct? If so you might see me there someday with my late 90's Cannondale haha
How is being honest about something considered being a hater?

If one thing was to go wrong, lets say the rear shock was to go bad, there just will not be a shock available in the stroke and eye to eye length that the STS has and am not entirely sure, but a rebuild may not be worth it.
Old 09-19-12, 09:12 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not "haters"...like..."truth'ers"...er sumthin.
Old 09-19-12, 11:33 PM
scrublover

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chadwebster
I see reading comprehension is not your strong point.
Old 09-20-12, 12:48 AM
owenmyers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sheep hills it is. I'm building some stuff at hidden valley right now, you should check it out soon.
Old 09-20-12, 05:31 PM
MC Hank
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sheep hills it is. I'm building some stuff at hidden valley right now, you should check it out soon.
How did you get permission to build in Hidden Valley?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.