Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Is disk brake pad toxicity an issue

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 06-05-18, 01:20 AM
Simonsky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After years of not cycling I'm now thinking of getting a Hybrid to regain some fitness as I com out of post-mid-life-crisis.

I have noticed that, since I last cycled about 20 years ago (!) many bikes have hydraulic disk brakes. Being a bit OCDish I was wondering whether brake pads give of toxic dust or might still contain asbestos (especially if imported from China).

I suspect it's a non issue as brake pads on bikes are small but I thought I'd ask the question.

Many thanks,

Simon
Old 06-05-18, 06:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Welcome, Simon.

There are three types of brake pads commonly in use today. Fully metallic (often called sintered metallic), semi-metallic, and organic (often called resin). I very seriously doubt that asbestos has been used in bicycle brake pads. If in doubt, you could contact some brake pads manufacturers and pose the question. Shimano, SRAM/Avid, Tektro, and Kool-Stop are four leading brake and brake pad manufacturers.
Old 06-05-18, 06:52 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I'd be HUGELY surprised if any of the big brands used asbestos-based compounds.
A noname vendor MIGHT use just about ANYTHING in a copied product. But with the limited remaining use there is of asbestos, I wonder how many would have it on site anyhow. Seems like a low risk to me.
By definition, brake dust probably isn't exactly healthy to inhale anyway - dust rarely is.
I reckon what ultimately makes it "safe" is the amounts the average rider can realistically be exposed to.
Old 06-05-18, 07:47 AM
Simonsky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I'd be HUGELY surprised if any of the big brands used asbestos-based compounds.
A noname vendor MIGHT use just about ANYTHING in a copied product. But with the limited remaining use there is of asbestos, I wonder how many would have it on site anyhow. Seems like a low risk to me.
By definition, brake dust probably isn't exactly healthy to inhale anyway - dust rarely is.
I reckon what ultimately makes it "safe" is the amounts the average rider can realistically be exposed to.

Thanks for response. I agree that the risk is small. There have been some cases of car brake pads finding there way into the market from Chin that contain asbestos. In the case of brake pads, I imagine those are mostly made in China, so who knows for sure-probably depends on the level of controls in each country. I imagine that, in general, exposure to dust from bike brake pads must be very small given their size and positioning. I've read that the 'organic' pads are the least polluting-any views on this?
Old 06-05-18, 07:52 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Simonsky
Thanks for response. I agree that the risk is small. There have been some cases of car brake pads finding there way into the market from Chin that contain asbestos. In the case of brake pads, I imagine those are mostly made in China, so who knows for sure-probably depends on the level of controls in each country. I imagine that, in general, exposure to dust from bike brake pads must be very small given their size and positioning. I've read that the 'organic' pads are the least polluting-any views on this?
No, not really.
Given that the bulk of my mileage is suburb-to-city commuting, the bicycle brake pads would have to be fairly potent to show up against the background of other pollutants I get exposed to during an average ride.
Old 06-05-18, 09:22 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Even if the pads were pure asbestos, it won't hurt you.

The amount of brake dust those pads emit is minuscule. And it's in open air in a breeze (since by definition you're only using the pads when you're moving, so there's always a breeze going by the pads to disperse any dust)

Asbestos is a problem with prolonged exposure. Minuscule trace amounts present in an open air environment with a breeze aren't going to be deadly.

Besides, the most dangerous kind of asbestos is amosite asbestos. That's been banned outright for a while. The asbestos that's still used in things today is chrysotile asbestos and is much less tenacious as far as sticking to the linings of the lungs. Low level exposure to this kind of asbestos is not considered to be a health hazzard.

And on top of all that, brake pads are not made of asbestos anyway.

Get a disc brake bike and feel safe on it. They are awesome, especially in the rain!
Old 06-05-18, 09:51 AM
Simonsky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

The amount of brake dust those pads emit is minuscule. And it's in open air in a breeze (since by definition you're only using the pads when you're moving, so there's always a breeze going by the pads to disperse any dust)

Asbestos is a problem with prolonged exposure. Minuscule trace amounts present in an open air environment with a breeze aren't going to be deadly.

Besides, the most dangerous kind of asbestos is amosite asbestos. That's been banned outright for a while. The asbestos that's still used in things today is chrysotile asbestos and is much less tenacious as far as sticking to the linings of the lungs. Low level exposure to this kind of asbestos is not considered to be a health hazzard.

Get a disc brake bike and feel safe on it. They are awesome, especially in the rain!
All good points and I'm sure you are right in what you say. The only other argument against disc brake pads would be that one is marginally contributing to pollution as against particles from caliper brake pads which don't have metallic components ( perhaps some do?). On the other hand the disc brakes are safer in wet ( I'm in the U.K!!) which is a major issue ( when I used to cycle years ago I nearly had major accidents due to radical changes in stopping distance when brakes were wet).

In any case I drive a car! So the amount of dust from those pads will be thousands of times or more that of a bike. I'll probably go for the disc brakes!.

Thanks for discussion- very helpful.
Old 06-05-18, 11:13 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
All good points and I'm sure you are right in what you say. The only other argument against disc brake pads would be that one is marginally contributing to pollution as against particles from caliper brake pads which don't have metallic components ( perhaps some do?). On the other hand the disc brakes are safer in wet ( I'm in the U.K!!) which is a major issue ( when I used to cycle years ago I nearly had major accidents due to radical changes in stopping distance when brakes were wet).

In any case I drive a car! So the amount of dust from those pads will be thousands of times or more that of a bike. I'll probably go for the disc brakes!.

Thanks for discussion- very helpful.
Brake dust from a bike brake pad contributing to pollution?

You're kidding, right?

The dust from a bike brake pad is so immeasurably small that it will just become part of the dirt and will be fully degradable due to the sheer smallness of the particles. Organic dust is already basically just dirt. Metalic dust will decompose on a chemical level as rust nearly instantly upon exposure to any moisture. In both circumstances the dust turns into dirt.
Old 06-05-18, 11:44 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
The only other argument against disc brake pads would be that one is marginally contributing to pollution as against particles from caliper brake pads which don't have metallic components ( perhaps some do?).
This will be a nearly infinitesimally small amount of dust. Besides, organic/resin pads for bikes exist, and are even common in consumer applications, so the amount of metallic material in an already extremely small brake pad is zero or so close to it that it would be difficult to measure.

The advances they offer to rider safety, especially where it's often wet, is likely much more relevant to daily life, at least in my opinion.
Old 06-05-18, 03:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Everything is bad, and labeled as such , for Californians.
Old 06-13-18, 11:48 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Rim brakes will still generate dust. The rubber friction material will make rubber dust; aluminum bits will wear off the brake track on the wheel; and pink colored rim brake pads contain iron oxide.
Likes For jsdavis:
Old 06-28-18, 11:42 AM
ukwildcat

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the discs on my Specialized hybrid.
Definitely recommend them.
But, fair warning, do NOT touch them after braking for any time.
They are hot enough to really burn you.
Old 07-03-18, 08:12 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I think the benefits of reliable braking in all weather conditions by far outweighs the the infinitesimally small health risk from bicycle brake dust. Don't get hung up on the minutia.
Old 07-03-18, 09:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Australia used to have a whole town dependant on an Asbestos mine,

nobody remains there. but in the gravesites..
Old 06-17-20, 08:07 PM
bikeman68

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks

I wonder myself just how many China made bike disc brake knockoffs there are with asbestos, with so much use of it even still with all their own active mining, they still crank out asbestsos auto pads and shoes for the big store chains, so why would you expect them to exclude bicycle and motor bike disc brakes? If I really wanted disc brakes, I would insist on a reputable brake like what's produced by shimano , avid , Tektro etc, but absolutely no Chinese made brakes. Alot of quality range bikes have Tektro as stock OEM equipment.
EXPOSURE since many of us periodically run into this toxic mineral. we need to take it seriously as just the other night,(6-13-20) arsonists must have set that fire in a late, famous 1800s Shelton CT (Star Pin Company) factory building that spewed smoke with asbestos all over that part of town, embedding in whoever took it in, so there is never a "one time exposure" especially in the early settled Northeast USA, The wealthy class towns do not see things like this happen as much, with no old run down factory buildings...My point being is that it seems to pop up everywhere
Old 06-18-20, 12:17 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I'm just guessing but unless you're snorting it (thru a straw) every time after hitting the brakes..... I think you'll be ok.