Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike tool kit?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike tool kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-22, 08:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I guess I was referring to box/open end wrenches and such. Screw drivers and hex wrenches…absolutely.
Ok that is more reasonable.
Old 07-02-22, 01:10 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,964 Times in 1,914 Posts
even if the tool is only used once in a while, it'd make sense to shell out the bucks for a quality tool. It's that one time that a tool is needed that you dont want to turn a quick job into a multi day project requiring more creative tooling.
Old 07-05-22, 08:59 AM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I'll preface this by saying you may already have a lot of these tools in your home tool box (and I see that you do from the post above). Anyway...

--Set of metric open/box end wrenches up to 17mm;
--12" adjustable ("Crescent") wrench;
--Ball-peen hammer;
--Metal shop ruler (to measure chain stretch, etc.);
--Needle-nose pliers (to grab the cable when adjusting derailleur cable tension);
--JIS (Japanese) Phillips head screwdriver, probably No. 2 will cover you in most instances;
--Hex/Allen Tri-wrench in 4, 5, 6 mm;
--Socket Tri-wrench in 8, 9, 10 mm;
--Torx Tri-wrench (I have one but don't use it, because I don't have any Torx fasteners);
--Pedal Wrench (I have an older (Verma?) model that has both 15mm and 1/2" at either end);
--Set of good quality cone wrenches (I use Park);
--High-quality spoke wrench to fit your spoke nipples. Park makes these. Get the kind that looks like a hot-air-balloon with rubber grip. Don't cheap out on this tool!;
--Headset wrench specific to your headset if you use one. Park makes these as well;
--Chain Whip;
--Cassette lockring tool depending on cassette manufacturer (This will be used in conjunction with your chain whip and adjustable wrench);
--Bottom-bracket tools, depending on what you're using and the era;
--Fourth hand (Hozan makes an excellent one);
--Quality bike-cable-specific cable cutters (I use a discontinued Shimano version but the newer Park one seems quite capable);
--Metric Allen key set (the "L" shaped ones);
--Chain Tool (type depending on what you use--rivets, quick links, etc.);
--Tools specific to your bike--I need an extra long 6mm Allen key for my stem and a 8mm Allen for my cranks. I also have a specific tool for my chainring bolts and crank dust caps, and one to adjust my pedal bearings;
--Good quality oil (your choice; I use Tri-Flow);
--Good quality grease (your choice; I use Shimano Special Grease. Phil is good too);
--Good quality floor pump including good-quality chuck for your particular valves (I use a Silca Pista Plus with Hiro chuck for Presta valves);
--Tire valve core tool (I think these would be used if you are tubeless and need to remove the valve core);
--Decent floor stand if your bike can be lifted into one;

Fun tools but completely unnecessary: Angle gauge; digital bike (expensive) or luggage (cheap) scale.

This list is what I can think of off the top of my head, but should be a good start for most home shops. YMMV. There are of course very specialized tools like dropout alignment tools, headset cup and race removers/installers, etc. These can be pricy and not used very often, but many can be fabricated at home. I may add to this list as I think of things.

This is SUPER useful.

I've learned to assume that I don't know stuff (sorta a reverse Dunning Kreuger complex).
Thanks for helping out a bike enthusiast, who is a total noob at maintenece.
Likes For mlau:
Old 07-05-22, 09:03 AM
mlau

Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Wise people once told me to buy the quality tools that I specifically need for the bikes I have as and when I needed them. That advice has never let me down. I say take an inventory of the components of your bikes and match your toolkit accordingly. And yeah, buy the quality stuff: Park Tool (of course,) Pedro's (no-nonsense,) IceToolz (a bit underappreciated,) Uniche (look them up; their stepless tool is really great and they make a bunch of other great stuff.)

FWIW, I don't know enough to know which companies are "quality" for BIke tools.
For instance, I was agonizing over what 4th hand (cable puller) tool to get, and ended up with a Park Tool.
For anything that's not bike specific, I love Knipex or Wera/Wiha.

FWIW, I'm more familiar with woodworking stuff, as I used to (hackishly) build acoustic guitars.
Old 07-05-22, 09:32 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3502 Post(s)
Liked 2,917 Times in 1,771 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
For instance, I was agonizing over what 4th hand (cable puller) tool to get, and ended up with a Park Tool.
I found the Park fourth hand (and the copy-cat Pedro's) to be difficult to use at best. They use thinner metal, which makes grabbing the cable more difficult. The Hozan is identical to the tool we used in the shop in the late 1980s (and for some reason, I thought it was Park-branded back then as well--at least I remember blue rubber hand grips).
Old 07-06-22, 03:41 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,964 Times in 1,914 Posts
For anything that's not bike specific, I love Knipex or Wera/Wiha.

FWIW, I'm more familiar with woodworking stuff, as I used to (hackishly) build acoustic guitars.
Knipex & Wiha let me down, both with durability & cost. Ended up replacing those failures with Cobalt. My vintage Crapsmen is holding up, but as they wear out or crack, I roll the dice with what the tool truck has for replacement.
Old 07-06-22, 04:23 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
While I do buy good tools, I do limit the purchase of top notch tools are typically to those that are bike related.
I typically use a JIS Philips for bike screws.
I have 5 or 6 Allen wrenches of each size and have them all over the shop, I also have a set of 4,5, & 6mm Allen wrenches in a tool bag on every bike I have
I also have multiple box and open end wrenches, typically 3 or 4 sets of 8, 9, & 10mm spread all over the shop.
A previous poster stated a full set of box and open end wrenches up to 17mm. Do not forget that most BB and cassette removal tools use either a 22mm or 24mm wrench, so go bigger.
I also have a couple of hammers, a ball peen and also a cross peen.
I also have a couple of vise grips and a few Knipex pliers
Diagonal cutters, slip joint pliers and other general tools are nice to have around.
A chain stretch gauge is nice to have.
Do not waste your time putting all your tools in fancy fitted cases, there is not enough room.
I have my tools in a 7 drawer tool chest.
I also have a travel set in a large 18" tool bag.

Last edited by bwilli88; 07-07-22 at 08:25 AM.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 07-06-22, 09:09 AM
smd4

Vice grips is a good recommendation. Another general purpose tool that hasn't been mentioned yet: Simple scissors. Useful for trimming bar tape, etc. Kitchen shears my be a little more robust.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-06-22, 09:38 AM
mlau

I found the Park fourth hand (and the copy-cat Pedro's) to be difficult to use at best. They use thinner metal, which makes grabbing the cable more difficult. The Hozan is identical to the tool we used in the shop in the late 1980s (and for some reason, I thought it was Park-branded back then as well--at least I remember blue rubber hand grips).
Thanks for the tip.

I may return it and get the Hozan
Old 07-06-22, 09:43 AM
smd4

Thanks for the tip.

I may return it and get the Hozan
The Hozan construction is noticeably thicker and doesn't use unnecessary gimmicks like the ratchet.