Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat tire frequency

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Flat tire frequency

Old 11-07-22, 11:06 PM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by IcySwan1
Imaginos, glad you are sticking with it. If I recall, you are in Craig on Prince of Wales Island, the 3rd largest island in the US. POW has the best road system in The Tongass Forest because of logging. It is a paradise for fishing and hunting, mainly because you can access so much. But those logging roads are tough and there really isn’t much pavement. There should be no problem riding on the road itself and I don’t recall there being a real bike shoulder on the few paved roads from Hollis to Klawock. So take the road.

I am north of you in Haines. We have more paved roads and a little more traffic, but drivers are good. I switched to tubeless on my road bikes and it has worked well for me. I am in America at the moment, but will be bring back a vintage Italian steel bike to ride on nice days. That will have tubes and will be fine. Unless the wheels on your road/touring bikes are tubeless ready, just keep riding tubes and take the road. If you are fully committed, then you can and probably will get tubeless wheels and tires.

I get to Ketchikan occasionally, but not with bikes. If you get to Haines, I will let try tubeless tires. And Ketchikan has a bike group that my be a good resource. I know being a bicyclist on POW is tough, but good on you.

Mike
Hi Mike. I think we’re close to 200 miles of pavement now. I hope to bikepack the whole island next year. I’ve been through Haines a number of times but not for many years.
Old 11-08-22, 12:39 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Imaginos
OP here. Thanks to all who replied,a lot of good info and insight.Of all the factors mentioned,i think that getting more onto the roadway and off the debris laden shoulders would help the most. I ride a 50mph two lane highway and it can be unnerving sometimes.The shoulder just feels safer. You guys are great,thanks again.
In my limited experience, tubeless is the best way to avoid flats. A sturdy tire, a little extra sealant in the tires - you get punctures, but much much less likely to get a flat than the same tire with a tube.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 11-08-22, 10:06 AM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I know this is heresy, but I haven't had a flat on my road bike since installing "puncture resistant" tubes. Yeah, I know they are heavier but I don't care. Tires also hold pressure better and don't need to be pumped up before every ride.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 11-08-22, 10:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I know this is heresy, but I haven't had a flat on my road bike since installing "puncture resistant" tubes. Yeah, I know they are heavier but I don't care. Tires also hold pressure better and don't need to be pumped up before every ride.
This might be heresy too, but I've not had a puncture or flat on my bike for at least 2000 miles. And the front tire has over 5000 miles with no flats. Both are GP 5000's. The tubed version.

If you need puncture resistant tires for the areas you ride, by all means you should use them. However if your area is not full of goat head or other hazards then enjoy the better ride of a better tire. Tubeless is an option to for areas with frequent puncture hazards.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-08-22, 01:12 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
I have puncture resistant tubes on my mountain bikes. These tubes take up a lot of space and are heavy, so I only carry a regular tube with me just in case. Weight weenies need not apply, LOL! I have only had one flat on these ever and it was because the tube failed at the valve stem.

BTW, I go quite a few months between uses of a mountain bike. They hardly lose any air in that time.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-09-22, 05:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Flat tires happen all the time. I had a flat yesterday. I've had has many as four flats in one day before.
I would review your choice of tyres/tires in that case.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-09-22, 06:39 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Last year, 2021, I had my first flat on Christmas morning, being about 9,000 miles since my previous flat in July, 2020. This year has been an incredibly high number of flats, on different bikes and tires/tubes. My tires and tubes are in good shape, but most of the flats have been slivers of glass or wire from tire belts. I have had a couple of pinch flats, a couple of bad valves, and I had one tube that would hold air for days, until I put it in a tire and pumped up the psi. By the next morning it would be flat. I changed the valve in it a couple of times, and cannot remember how many times I immersed it to check for slow leaks. I finally just threw it in the trash. I have also had a couple of patches that did not hold, surely my fault. Thought I had gotten past this streak, but had another sliver of glass yesterday.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 11-09-22, 10:20 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would review your choice of tyres/tires in that case.
Flat protection comes at the cost of weight and rolling resistance. The fastest road tires save over 15 watts compared to durability focused tires. If you live in an area with goatheads and you want to ride a light tire, there is nothing you can do.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-09-22, 10:35 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Flat protection comes at the cost of weight and rolling resistance. The fastest road tires save over 15 watts compared to durability focused tires. If you live in an area with goatheads and you want to ride a light tire, there is nothing you can do.

Uhh, wut? You must have a really nice setup in the cave you just emerged from if you've never heard of tubeless. Which the top 6 fastest tires and 7 out of the top 10 are on BRR, i.e., that same website you linked.
Old 11-09-22, 10:53 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by surak
Uhh, wut? You must have a really nice setup in the cave you just emerged from if you've never heard of tubeless. Which the top 6 fastest tires and 7 out of the top 10 are on BRR, i.e., that same website you linked.
Top 6 are tubeless? I count 4. The Michelin Power TT comes in 5th and is a tubed tire.

No matter really. Not sure why you take exception. I see enough posts from tubeless people getting flats to know that tubeless isn't a guarantee either.
Old 11-09-22, 11:03 AM
Yan 

Tubeless takes special equipment which the OP does not have. When someone comes to you with a question, you cannot just say "the solution is to throw out what you have and buy this new thing". The guy just bought his bike this year.

If someone makes a thread asking about new bike or new wheel recommendations, then you can mention tubeless.

Last edited by Yan; 11-09-22 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-09-22, 11:37 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Tubeless takes special equipment which the OP does not have. When someone comes to you with a question, you cannot just say "the solution is to throw out what you have and buy this new thing". The guy just bought his bike this year.

If someone makes a thread asking about new bike or new wheel recommendations, then you can mention tubeless.
Show me where the OP says the wheels on his bikes aren't tubeless compatible.

You're definitely giving off that cave vibe if you think tubeless necessitates additional special equipment when many new bikes come with tubeless compatible wheels, and have for the past several years.

​​​​​​​Willfully demonstrating ignorance and trying to masquerade it around as expertise is more harmful to people not well-informed about bikes who come with questions than posting that there is actually better, more modern tire technology out there.
Old 11-09-22, 11:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

With the exception of a few tubeless tires that specify the rims they should be on, most wheels of any bike sold today are probably tubeless compatible if not tubeless ready. Even many old wheels can be tubeless with just the correct rim tape and a valve stem. So there isn't really anything equipment wise to worry about. Most of tubeless is just new knowledge you need to know and procedures you need to learn. I'm not in the camp of wanting to learn all that right now, so I'm still happy with tubes.
Old 11-09-22, 12:26 PM
Yan 

Show me where the OP says the wheels on his bikes aren't tubeless compatible.

You're definitely giving off that cave vibe if you think tubeless necessitates additional special equipment when many new bikes come with tubeless compatible wheels, and have for the past several years.

Willfully demonstrating ignorance and trying to masquerade it around as expertise is more harmful to people not well-informed about bikes who come with questions than posting that there is actually better, more modern tire technology out there.
You can scream all you want, it doesn't change anything. The OP came with a straightforward post: he got a bunch of flat tubes in 1800 miles, asks if that's is normal. Simple answer, flats happen, it's normal. Question answered, thread closed, end of story.

Instead we have a sh*tbird coming in here screaming his head off about tubeless and criticizing tubes. You think tubeless is better than Jesus, we get it. Now take that manic sh*t somewhere else.
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-09-22, 02:31 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Yan

So what specific tyres are you running to get so many flats?
Old 11-09-22, 02:45 PM
Yan 

So what specific tyres are you running to get so many flats?
You're asking about the 4 flats in one day incident? Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. I got another flat the next morning actually, so in fact it was 5 flats in a 24 hour period.

​​​​
Likes For Yan:
Old 11-09-22, 05:13 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
The most puncture resistant road tire out there is the Maxxis ReFuse. The downside is the ride is a bit rough.

I have pretty good luck with Vittoria Rubino Pros. The ride is nicer than the Maxxis ReFuses and I get a flat less than once a year (I ride 3000+ miles per year).
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-09-22, 06:53 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Yan
You're asking about the 4 flats in one day incident? Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. I got another flat the next morning actually, so in fact it was 5 flats in a 24 hour period.

​​​​

I would be going tubeless if that was my idea of "normal". That's more flats than I've had in the last 5 years on performance road racing tyres.
Old 11-09-22, 07:02 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Lombard
The most puncture resistant road tire out there is the Maxxis ReFuse. The downside is the ride is a bit rough.
5th best according to BRR. You should try the Pirelli Cinturato Velo (1st on BRR for puncture resistance) as they ride pretty well even compared to more focused race tyres. I did a full season on these last year with zero flats (running them tubeless), while I had 2 flats on the P Zeros (also tubeless).
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-09-22, 07:15 PM
Imaginos

Bikes: 1994 Raleigh MT200,,2022 Marin Four Corners ,1994 Cannondale T700,2019 Trek Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 77 Posts
OP here. My new bikes are not tubeless ready.I fixed the front flat today,paying attention to all things mentioned here and found the source of the flat,a tiny piece of wire about 1/4” long,most likely steel belted tire debris,still embedded in the tire.This particular case is solved.
Likes For Imaginos:
Old 11-09-22, 07:15 PM
Yan 

I would be going tubeless if that was my idea of "normal". That's more flats than I've had in the last 5 years on performance road racing tyres.
It depends on where you live. In goathead areas you won't have that kind of peace. I live in New York now and don't have this problem anymore thankfully. But of course New York roads are hardly clean.

I switched over to mostly riding on Schwalbe Marathon and Marathon Plus tires. They rarely flat but they are heavy as hell. Its terrible. This week I put on some light tires for a ride and of course I got a flat immediately. Just my luck.

Last edited by Yan; 11-09-22 at 07:19 PM.
Likes For Yan: