Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Pro’s Closet feedback

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-30-21, 11:02 AM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Has anyone purchased a bike from Pro’s Closet? How was your experience with the product description vs what was delivered bs price? Happy with the experience. I’m looking to pick a used SWorks SL6 Tarmac…

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Ron
Old 12-30-21, 11:08 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Solid outfit, well vetted & described stuff. A bit more expensive than buying from a private party.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 12-30-21, 12:17 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
They've been around a long time. I wouldn't have any hesitation about buying from them. Most of the stuff they sell is going to be in very excellent condition. So comparing their prices to what you might see for other used being offered FSBO might have you thinking them high. But that FSBO probably wouldn't be in good enough condition to really compare the price.
Old 12-30-21, 12:20 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
You pay a premium but bikes are returnable to Pro's Closet (I think).
Old 12-30-21, 03:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I’ve purchased from them three times now, and have been pleased and issue-free every time. I can recommend them.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-30-21, 03:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
i have not bought from them, but I was close in doing so. I didnt pull the trigger after finding out how the OEM's warranty works. Should there be any issue outside of PC's warranty, you're pretty much stuck holding the bag.
Old 12-30-21, 04:04 PM
TTron

Bikes: Sworks Aethos and Roubaix, Specialized Tramac Pro, Trek 5500, Cervelo P2C, Specialized Stumpjumper

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
They do appear to be slightly higher priced compared to a quick check of the bicycle blue book sight. BUT, they do have a 30 day return policy which is very nice!!

Appreciate everyone’s feedback.
Old 12-30-21, 05:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,486 Times in 3,336 Posts
I bought several items from them on E-Bay, generally with a good opinion of their store.

At the time, they seemed to have had a model of taking bikes and mostly parting them out.

For wheels, they usually list truing specs (runnout, hop, etc), but aren't putting in the effort to actually true the wheels.

I've bumped into their website a few times, but haven't bought from them directly.
Old 12-30-21, 05:45 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by Troul
i have not bought from them, but I was close in doing so. I didnt pull the trigger after finding out how the OEM's warranty works. Should there be any issue outside of PC's warranty, you're pretty much stuck holding the bag.
You’re talking about the difference between buying new and used, which is nothing specific to Pro’s Closet.

Anytime you buy used (or almost always), the manufacturer’s warranty does not transfer to you as the new owner.

Also, Pro’s Closet sells new items, such as Mavic helmets, shoes and apparel, which do come with the full manufacturer’s warranty, just as they would from any authorized dealer.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-30-21, 06:25 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You’re talking about the difference between buying new and used, which is nothing specific to Pro’s Closet.

Anytime you buy used (or almost always), the manufacturer’s warranty does not transfer to you as the new owner.

Also, Pro’s Closet sells new items, such as Mavic helmets, shoes and apparel, which do come with the full manufacturer’s warranty, just as they would from any authorized dealer.
Yeah, one of those exceptions I think is Trek, where the warranty can extend to the 2nd purchaser. But by definition with TPC, you'll technically always be at least the 3rd owner.
Old 12-30-21, 10:55 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11318 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
Not a bike, but a wheel for my TT bike and I got to deal with them in person. The description was spot on, and the fellow I dealt with, was as good as gold.
Old 12-31-21, 09:27 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I bought a high end bike from them last year and was very pleased. I will definitely buy from TPC again once used bike prices become more sane again. Before buying, I sent them an email with some additional questions and they replied immediately with detailed information that answered my questions and they provided more pictures on demand. This was top quality service, it's clear that they are bike experts and used to dealing with (annoying, know-it-all) enthusiast customers like me. The measurements on the bike (which was a custom frame) were very accurate and the condition of the bike was better than described when it arrived. The bike was very well packaged and it came out of the box essentially ready to ride. You pay a premium to buy from TPC vs. going with Ebay or Craigslist, but the service and reliability they offer are easily worth it. Look no further, IMO.

Last edited by Hiro11; 12-31-21 at 09:32 AM.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 12-31-21, 02:02 PM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Solid outfit, well vetted & described stuff. A bit more expensive than buying from a private party.
^ This plus the used frame I purchased was close to filthy. However, the item was precisely as advertised and without any non-disclosed damage, cosmetic or structural. From my one purchase from the outfit, I endorse them.
Old 12-31-21, 02:18 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

You have to know what you're doing. The used market is currently pretty stoopid
Eg. Here's a used Trek SL6 Disc Pro from TPC: https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...6-disc-pro-l-2
and here's Trek's listing for that model bike: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...grey_greylight
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-31-21, 06:37 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Just bought a bike from them. The description was accurate if not extra careful. I can't even find some of the "light scratches" they mentioned. The bike was packed well and came with a torque wrench to put it together. Brakes and gears didn't need any adjustment. The price was higher than private sale, but I've never bought a bike privately that was in this good of condition.
Old 12-31-21, 09:55 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, one of those exceptions I think is Trek, where the warranty can extend to the 2nd purchaser. But by definition with TPC, you'll technically always be at least the 3rd owner.
Not according to the trek rep I spoke to.
Main reason I went brand new instead of used for a bicycle.
Old 12-31-21, 10:20 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
A forum member bought a used Madone. It was beautiful but when it cracked Trek told him to pound sand. Nothing, not even a crash replacement deal.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-01-22, 07:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

From trek's website. And my bad, it actually would extend to any subsequent owner supposedly, but just for frame and fork. Probably need to have a copy of original sales receipt to provide proof of date of purchase from authorized retailer. 5th header down:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/warranty_policy/

This would make an interesting question to TPC as to whether they obtain a copy of original sales receipts for newer Treks at least so that warranty might be passed along.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 01-01-22 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-01-22, 11:51 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Things that are a safety issue because of a manufacturing error or design error are going to be covered warranty or not, and for whomever currently claims possession of that item.

However it will have to be something that will affect many frames and endanger others, not just a one in a million defect for one specific frame or other component.
Old 01-03-22, 09:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9518 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts
You have to know what you're doing. The used market is currently pretty stoopid
Eg. Here's a used Trek SL6 Disc Pro from TPC: https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...6-disc-pro-l-2
and here's Trek's listing for that model bike: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...grey_greylight
But wait! If you get the same bike in a 56cm instead of a 58cm, you pay $8,000 when the highest priced new Emonda SL is only $6,000. The extra $2k does get you a used bike with an oversized pulley wheel, so there is that.
Old 01-03-22, 10:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by TTron
They do appear to be slightly higher priced compared to a quick check of the bicycle blue book sight. BUT, they do have a 30 day return policy which is very nice!!

Appreciate everyone’s feedback.
They are selling a 2016 CAAD 8 w/Shimano 105 for $2000. My 2019 CAAD 12 w/105 cost $1600 new. So, yeah, expensive.
Old 01-03-22, 01:27 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
they were a bit cheaper before all the covid supply issues happened but they are for certain legit and for certain good work with.

Two years ago I purchased a frame set from them it was a great experience for me. CS was good and shipping was good too. They shipped it FedEx in a bike shipping box and it was well packaged. I would highly recommend them.

I have been wanting to get my young son a road bike but the prices are crazy right now. I need to build one on a very small frame but its been on hold for now with the issues on supply.
Old 01-03-22, 02:17 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Legit. Was trouble free.

I will say, don't assume their disassembly for shipment or inspection catches everything. If a bike has anything to it that is more "unique" like an integrated bar setup or TT bars or something.........pull up the online manual for it, disassemble or verify those areas. Check torques on things you didn't have to torque yourself on assembly.

I think an original builder of my bike did it wrong, and Pros didn't catch it. The Trinity has a set of barrels that space out in the base bar for the bolt/washer combo to press against and not dig into the base bar. These were not installed on my bike and I caught it when adjusting the stack height for the first ride. I had started without them and it dug a tiny bit, but I got lucky and caught it when I added stack spacers and saw it.

Not a big deal, just understand you're buying a used bike and some of the inspection aspect is on you also.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-03-22, 05:58 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

From trek's website. And my bad, it actually would extend to any subsequent owner supposedly, but just for frame and fork. Probably need to have a copy of original sales receipt to provide proof of date of purchase from authorized retailer. 5th header down:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/warranty_policy/

This would make an interesting question to TPC as to whether they obtain a copy of original sales receipts for newer Treks at least so that warranty might be passed along.
Maybe such a paper trail, and the incumbent warranty that comes with it, is the reason for the “certified pre-owned” label in the more-expensive-than-new Trek you linked to above.
Old 01-03-22, 09:06 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by big john
A forum member bought a used Madone. It was beautiful but when it cracked Trek told him to pound sand. Nothing, not even a crash replacement deal.
Not shocked to read that.
If there's doubt in a buyer's mind about being covered when purchasing an used bicycle, I would expect the worse case for support.
If you can afford the worst outcome, then you should ideally know the next general plan of action.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.