Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Is my bike compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-22, 04:44 PM
LearningToCycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is my bike compatible?

I'm new to cycling this year and have obtained an old bike, which has been suitable for my slow rides throughout summer.
I would like to continue riding throughout winter but due to the weather, an indoor trainer looks the best option.

However, I don't know enough about the set ups to confirm if my bike will be compatible or not?
There are too many components and numbers for me to get my head around.

I am on an old Hybrid bike and from google, the specs are showing;

Frame

frame material Steel frame description Hybrid frame

Braking

brake caliper front Tektro Alloy V-Brake brake caliper rear Tektro Alloy V-Brake brake type V-Brakes

Drive

crank 24/34/42T pedals Resin Platform

Gearing

derailleur rear Shimano RD-TZ50 gears 18 shifter(s) Sram MRX-170

General

headset 1-1/8"x25.4x34x30xH:37.5mm rigid forks Rigid 700cx 1-1/8 inch saddle Black vinyl covered soft foam seat post Steel 350x25.1mmx1.6t safety line 80mm stem 4x150mmx2.5txEXT:90mm Barbore 25.4mm weight 15kg

Wheels

hubs Front: 3/8x36hx100x140mm Rear:3/8x36hx130x175mm rims Aluminium rims tyre size 700c x 38C tyres (front & back) Hybrid Tyres wheel size 700c

When looking at indoor trainers, it keeps talking about cassettes and quick release or thru axels.

From what I've found online, I will need a new cassette as mine isn't an 11?... however I'm not sure if it is as easy as just buying a new cassette or if I would have to change other components as well?

I don't have a quick release but I can't figure out if I have a thru axle that is compatible / what size I have?
From Google, I just keep getting images of axels with a lever on, which mine doesn't have?

For info, I was looking at something similar to the new zwift trainer coming out which says;

"Compatibility Wheel Sizes: Compatible with 650c, 700c, 24", 26", 27.5", 29", Road and MTB wheels Axles: Compatible with 130 mm and 135 mm quick release, 12x142 mm and 12x148 mm thru axles Freehub body: Hyperglide"

I have considered a wheel on trainer but my wheels are showing 700 x 38 which appears to be too thick for most trainers. I don't know how easy it would be to transfer to a thinner wheel?
would I need a new wheel or just the tyre?

Thanks in advance to any advice given to a confused new rider.
Old 10-10-22, 02:10 AM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Ask the right question and Google will give you the answer. How to effectively and efficiently integrate your hybrid bike on to a bike trainer?

A 32mm 700c or wider hybrid tire will fit on a Wheel-on trainer. This rear wheel has a trainer compatible quick release skewers.

In general I can not put this hybrid bike on a Direct Drive trainer without a 7 speed Shimano cassette and additional research, I.e., the width/spacing of the rear dropouts, and cassette body limitations on the trainer. I believe you have a 6 cog freewheel, which is really not compatible.

Fuji Absolute hybrid with 700c wheels, 7 speed cassette (or freewheel, not sure) quick release, and tires 32mm. Wheel-on Mag-trainer, cadence sensor Bluetooth to Zwift. My outdoor at home trainer.

Last edited by jlmonte; 10-10-22 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-11-22, 06:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
Most wheel-on trainers will take a much larger tire than 38mm. My daughter's hybrid is on a wheel-on trainer and the tire size could double, I think