Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wireless computer interference

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-01-22, 05:50 PM
davethelefty

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL, Cannondale Topstone 6, Co-op Cycles CTY 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 34 Posts

FIle this problem under the "Who knew?" category.

As the days grow shorter I'm riding at night more and more. I have a Niterider headlight/taillight set that I'm using and it gives me good lighting for my rides. Separately I noticed that my Cateye wireless computer wasn't working. Checked the battery, all's good. Then I discovered that half way through a recent ride my computer quit working, and that perhaps coincided with my turning my headlight on.

Sure enough I was able to confirm. So I went to the Cateye instructions (who reads 'em, anyway???) and it specifically says that a battery powered light can interfere with use of the computer. I guess the light blasts out EMI that disrupts the wireless sensor sending signals to the head unit. The computer itself still works but it's not getting any signal from the sensor. Who knew?

So now I have to move things around and see if I can solve the problem. Or build a Faraday cage for the headlight!! Does anyone know if battery powered lights interfere with GPS units? That may be my alternative...
Old 11-01-22, 06:01 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10957 Post(s)
Liked 4,613 Times in 2,118 Posts
I know neon lights interfere. My wife parked her bike under a Silver Bullet sign and came back to find a max speed of 94.1 mph.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 11-01-22, 06:02 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
A rider in my group has to run her headlight in the ON selection instead of blinking as in blinking mode it blocks her Cateye.

Old 11-01-22, 07:12 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10147 Post(s)
Liked 5,840 Times in 3,144 Posts
Originally Posted by davethelefty
FIle this problem under the "Who knew?" category.

As the days grow shorter I'm riding at night more and more. I have a Niterider headlight/taillight set that I'm using and it gives me good lighting for my rides. Separately I noticed that my Cateye wireless computer wasn't working. Checked the battery, all's good. Then I discovered that half way through a recent ride my computer quit working, and that perhaps coincided with my turning my headlight on.

Sure enough I was able to confirm. So I went to the Cateye instructions (who reads 'em, anyway???) and it specifically says that a battery powered light can interfere with use of the computer. I guess the light blasts out EMI that disrupts the wireless sensor sending signals to the head unit. The computer itself still works but it's not getting any signal from the sensor. Who knew?

So now I have to move things around and see if I can solve the problem. Or build a Faraday cage for the headlight!! Does anyone know if battery powered lights interfere with GPS units? That may be my alternative...
In the maritime world LED lights are notorious for causing electrical interference, which is said to affect GPS as well as VHF comms and AIS. Good shielding is key.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-01-22, 08:36 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
To change LED brightness a technique called pulse width modulation is used at a relatively high frequency. Likely this is the cause of interference.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-01-22, 09:18 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Found this same problem myself with a Cateye Padrone Smart and a Niterider headlamp. You can sometimes solve it by moving the Niterider farther away from the computer along the bars.

I solved my problem with a GPS unit. Also the Bluetooth/ANT+ speed sensor, connected to the computer, was not impacted by the frequency of he Niterider.
Old 11-02-22, 07:02 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,674 Times in 827 Posts
...Or build a Faraday cage for the headlight!!
Then you'd be a "cager".
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-02-22, 08:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
See what you learn when you read instructions and all the other stuff they give you!

Video camera's like a GoPro also sometimes are a problem. But just like lights, it's rare evidently. I've never had an issue I could pin on lights or camera. But if you are having issues you should eliminate various things one at a time until you find the culprit and then once found, see if you can move things around to let them work harmoniously.
Old 11-02-22, 09:30 AM
davethelefty

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I know neon lights interfere. My wife parked her bike under a Silver Bullet sign and came back to find a max speed of 94.1 mph.
That is funny. When we travel we sometimes bring a small desktop fan for white noise. My wife once left her Fitbit on a night stand with that fan running. When she put her Fitbit on the next morning she had 25,000 steps.
Old 11-02-22, 09:31 AM
davethelefty

Update: moving the headlight and the Cateye so they're about 2" apart seems to have resolved the problem. I originally had the headlight so close to the Cateye that it was actually touching it -- okay, not the smartest move on my part.

Issue resolved without the need to build a Faraday cage.
Old 11-02-22, 10:13 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10957 Post(s)
Liked 4,613 Times in 2,118 Posts
That is funny. When we travel we sometimes bring a small desktop fan for white noise. My wife once left her Fitbit on a night stand with that fan running. When she put her Fitbit on the next morning she had 25,000 steps.
I saved a pic of my wife’s max speed. A friend had something similar recently while parked near another neon beer sign.

Old 11-02-22, 10:35 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
This thread is not just for 50+ but the General category since it could impact the youngens too

Old 11-02-22, 01:04 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I saved a pic of my wife’s max speed. A friend had something similar recently while parked near another neon beer sign.

Originally Posted by rsbob
This thread is not just for 50+ but the General category since it could impact the youngens too
i doubt it, i don't think they can go as fast as us.
Likes For spelger:
Old 11-03-22, 08:13 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 413 Posts
Years ago, when I briefly tried using a wireless heart rate monitor, with the wristwatch receptor, while riding a road bike with a wired computer, I discovered that the magnetic for the computer on the front wheel would cause interface when I had my hands on the bar drops.

This issue has me wondering if/how RF interference would affect wireless shifting.

Dan