Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Building - where to buy parts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 06:26 AM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thinking about building some wheels, mostly for the enjoyment of it, but I'd like to save some $ too. Any recommendations on where / how to source the basic parts at good prices?

I can get most of what I'm interested in at wheelbuilder.com, but when you add it all up you're not really saving much compared to having them build it for you.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 12-06-11, 06:54 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Can't comment on where to buy parts, but for the cost saving there won't be any unless you can get NOS / ebay parts cheap.

I've build about 20 wheels over the last 7-8 years, none have been cheaper than buying a pre built wheel, but there are some advantages.

You get exactly what you want, you know that it's done right / any issues you have with the wheel are your fault.

Of those builds, I've had no failures due to the build, have lost 2 to MTB crashes which have damaged the rim beyond repair, and have been able to move those hubs / spokes to other rims.

Check out Sheldon Brown and Jobst Brant's book, have found them both good for how to info.
Old 12-06-11, 07:28 AM
reddog3

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I also don't build wheels to save money- not much anyway. At the small quantities the typical homebuilder goes through it's hard to make some really good buys without a lot of shopping.

I get most of my parts from https://www.universalcycles.com/ . They do as good as anyone on parts prices for the better grade stuff, and for me one of their stores is local. That saves freight charges, and I get the benefit of inspecting goods before toting it home.

If you intend build more than one set you can find some good deals if you buy prior to needing it. I got some Open Sports at a local sidewalk sale for $10 each. Also, if you hit up some of the LBS you can once in a wheel score some decent buys. I've got a standing deal at a couple shops to buzz me when they have some slow moving stock and want to get rid of it- cheap!

Another good source for me on occasion has been www.longleafbicycles.com . They have good inventories and have been very accomodating on non-stock items. They have about the best stock of Velocities around and promptly get odd stuff that is not in stock. Even though they are clear across the country from me, I like the service. It's old school. You get on the horn and call the guy (Anthony) and if he doesn't have an immediate answer, you can expect a call back in a very short while. Also, if I were having just one set of wheels built I'd consider using these guys.
Old 12-06-11, 07:54 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
For hubs and rims, google is your friend. For spokes, the cheapest/best place I've found is www.danscomp.com
Old 12-06-11, 08:56 AM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Google

Seriously...

"Basic"
"Alloy"
Replacement"
"Rims"
"Hubs"
"Stainless Steel Spokes"

All and combo of above...

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life