Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Polymer bearing pedals

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Polymer bearing pedals

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-21, 05:01 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Polymer bearing pedals

I’m shopping for some pedals for a couple of our bikes (folding bikes/folding pedals although not necessarily germane to my question) and noticed a number of available pedals, mostly on Amazon, but elsewhere, that claim to feature “polymer bearings” versus ball or sealed ball bearings which I am familiar with having rebuilt numerous pedals over my riding career.

Does anyone here have any info, firsthand experience, warnings, blessings and/or insights on pedals equipped with polymer bearings?

Thank You and please share!

Last edited by FolderBeholder; 06-28-21 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 05:19 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,396 Times in 1,930 Posts
I'm not familiar with that term being used in the context of pedals, but if these are low-end pedals, it may refer to a plastic sleeve-type bearing/bushing rather than balls in a race.
Old 06-28-21, 05:25 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
"Polymer bearings" are just another way of saying plastic bushings. I expect the durability would be very poor if used for serious riding. These things are made to be cheap and for very casual, low milage riding.
Old 06-28-21, 05:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view everything would depend on the original finish of the materials, and the quality of the seals. Polymer sleeve bearings are in industrial use, and can last a long time when used as intended. (How's that for weasel words). But let just one grain of grit get in there, and you're toast. Among their other attractions, ball bearings can usually sling the grit away well enough to survive minor incursions.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-29-21, 12:37 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
As above, plastic sleeve on a steel shaft, typically some grease in between.
I was recently surprised to discover just that on the off brand SPD pedals on one of my wife's bike-. I suspect they only have a couple thousand miles on them at most (and are about a decade old, that bike isn't ridden much), but they looked brand new inside when I opened them. May well cost a watt or two, but she hasn't noticed yet and under hand loading they feel not that different from the 3 bearings in my X0's.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 06-29-21, 09:26 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
If you were trying to sell a cheap to build pedal and sell it, where would you do that? On a site with a few hundred hits a day or a site with a ba-zillion hits a day?
Old 06-29-21, 09:20 PM
FolderBeholder

Bikes: 1963 Schwinn, EuroMini Urbano, Magnum Premium 48, Brompton S6L, Tokyo Bike Mini-Velo

Thanks for the input.

Upon further research I'm not convinced polymer bearings are a trademark of "cheap" pedals, but an (and possibly an up-and-coming) alternative to old school balls and cups, grease and maintenance....similar perhaps to the evolution of CF bicycle frames vs aluminum or steel. Time will tell. Electric automobiles vs fossil fueled ones etc. You get the point.

That said, if I purchase and install this type of pedal I will provide real-world feedback and that provided by jccaclimber up-thread is interesting and thought-provoking for me as does this:
https://blog.igus.eu/plain-bearings-...es-of-polymer/
Old 06-29-21, 09:48 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
My latest pedals that I purchased for my MTB that I no longer have but do have the pedals on my old Giant RB now because I like them so much are Rock Bros 4 bearing platforms. They basically have 4 'polymer sleeve bearings' and after a lot of abuse and use are still as smooth as a baby's butt and are still my favorite pedal. They can be taken apart and serviced just like regular old steel ball bearing, but when your bike is in mud and water a lot they will never rust. The sleeves do have rubber seals on the ends and a preload requirement just like ball bearings. They are not LOW END pedals just because they have 'polymer bearings'
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 06-29-21, 09:59 PM
FolderBeholder

I happened to notice this evening that our e-bikes both have Wellgo folding pedals on them, which have never provided me as much as a second thought. I looked on Wellgo.com and they have an entire, extensive range of polymer-bearing-ed pedals, including the ones I mentioned previously. Our e-bikes have over 2000 miles (nearly 2500) each, and the pedals all spin freely and smoothly. Color me impressed....I've rebuilt several BB pedals over time, and almost always have had to adjust new BB pedals from the box, for proper tension and smoothness. In my mind these poly bearings are now "a thing", theyve required zero attention from me and still spin freely and smoothly...exactly what a pedal is meant to do.
Old 06-30-21, 07:59 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
There are several kinds of polymer bearings- some are like regular sealed style bearings but with polymer races and stainless steel balls, caged or uncaged. Others are more like plastic sleeves or bushings.
There are a couple advantages to them, including the ability to precisely engineer the polymer for the application (e.g. high load, radial load, temperature, rpm) and for the polymer to self lubricate.
Pretty cool stuff,, not necessarily indicative of a cheap pedal. But would make even a cheap pedal a better performer.
Old 07-01-21, 05:55 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
My first thought went to the Ceramic bearings offered for pedals. But at the initial cost of $15 per bearing; the whole lot needed is astronomical for the convenience of never having to rebuild or lubricate the pedals. I suspect the cost per ball has gone down a bit over the last year but still a very pricey upgrade. I am glad this is not what they were referring to. Smiles, MH
Old 07-06-21, 05:54 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Pedals with bushing type bearings are nothing new Raleigh had them back in the late 60s early 70s.
The main issue is that the pedal eye threading direction is designed to counter the precession of ball bearings. This force is not present in a bushing type, so from a technical point of view, the threading should be reversed.
Old 07-07-21, 01:41 AM
jccaclimber

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Pedals with bushing type bearings are nothing new Raleigh had them back in the late 60s early 70s.
The main issue is that the pedal eye threading direction is designed to counter the precession of ball bearings. This force is not present in a bushing type, so from a technical point of view, the threading should be reversed.
The issue is the rolling between the spindle threads and the crank due to pedaling forces. This is present in bearing and bushing designs.
Old 07-07-21, 05:42 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by jccaclimber
The issue is the rolling between the spindle threads and the crank due to pedaling forces. This is present in bearing and bushing designs.
Present yes, but reversed in the ball bearing type.
Old 07-08-21, 01:06 AM
jccaclimber

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Present yes, but reversed in the ball bearing type.
What about bearings causes that reverse? Precession is driven by the radial forces, not rotational. With the system boundary drawn at the shaft to bearing/bushing contact, the shaft doesn't know what's touching it. It could be a ball, roller, loose sleeve, outer bushing (this case), etc.