Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How often is too often?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How often is too often?

Old 07-14-21, 12:23 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
The mechanic I spoke with said that he had done this before. Hopefully, he was telling the truth.
Old 07-14-21, 01:22 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I would suggest going to the store and viewing your bike. Even with the supply issues from this stupid beer virus it would not take a full month to fix a bike. My opinion is the shop is either fluffing you off or purchasing a new bike is a much better option than to repair the current one.
Old 07-15-21, 07:33 AM
Bowie Beattie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'd go right to the shop
Old 07-15-21, 10:01 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Geez, that's like taking a Yugo to the Ferrari mechanic.
Thanks for the tip about that bike shop, Gebhard is freaking sweet. Took a bike in for repair and to try to buy a track bike and ended up walking out with a $150 single speed beater bike, it was kind of out of place for that shop haha. Chatted with him for like 30+ minutes about bike stuff, he's super passionate about bikes. also got a sick retro racing cap and a 150$ saddle to put on the single speed to protect my dick, figured I can just put the nice saddle on whatever bike im riding most.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 07-15-21 at 10:05 PM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 07-16-21, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Thanks for the tip about that bike shop, Gebhard is freaking sweet. Took a bike in for repair and to try to buy a track bike and ended up walking out with a $150 single speed beater bike, it was kind of out of place for that shop haha. Chatted with him for like 30+ minutes about bike stuff, he's super passionate about bikes. also got a sick retro racing cap and a 150$ saddle to put on the single speed to protect my dick, figured I can just put the nice saddle on whatever bike im riding most.
Chatting with Gebhard when bringing bikes in for work or picking them up is one thing I really missed the last year and a half, with COVID and all.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 07-16-21, 10:09 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If it's taking that long and requiring that much effort.... at least I'm assuming the bike shop is making some effort to work on the bike, then this is probably going to already cost you more than all the pieces parts are worth.

Maybe you just need to cut your losses and go a different direction. Not all bike shops are equal in their abilities to work on anything that is slung at them. Some are only remove and replace type shops for things that are already in decent shape. And only for the lines of bikes they sell. Which is not a bad thing in itself.

But those places might not be equipped or even have experience with what you've dropped on them. Are you certain your bike shop is equipped and experienced for anything?
The mechanic called today and told me what he'd done for the stuck driveside cup: long cheater bar, hit wrench to jar it loose, 3 different lubricants/solvents, heated it to try to get the materials to expand differently/melt any red loctite, cool treated it to try to get one to shrink more than the other, something else, I can't remember. Basically, all the things I would have tried had I the equipment (and if my back weren't injured from getting hit by a car which wrecked the bike that this was supposed to replace).

He said his next step was to hammer out the axle and get the grinder out, but was going out of town and couldn't get to that until Tuesday.

I said that, before we tried something that drastic, I'd contact Litespeed (who built the bike) in the meantime and see if they had any advice about special tricks because I'd never had any experience with at Ti frameset before.

Hell, at this point, I'd be interested to see how much it'd cost to get them to cut out and replace the BB shell. Probably more than it's worth for a 25-year old frame, but the geometry is spot on for me and the frame cost ~$500, which isn't that bad for a frameset that ticked so many of my boxes (level top tube, Eddy Merckx - something I'd always wanted, preferably a lugged MXL Leader, but this is the same geometry - Ti frame, room to fit 28 or maybe 30 mm tires without scary clearance, great shape other than BB, threaded headset, classic-ish looks, but ability to wear modern drivetrain without modifications), in my size (64x62 doesn't give me a lot of options).

The wrecked bike that this is replacing is a pro-tour team replica frame from the early 90's and while this doesn't have the cool paint job, lugs, or internal cable routing, but it's of higher overall quality.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-16-21, 12:10 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Longer exposure to the flame wrench & a few blasts from the air hammer is what I'd offer to them as a possible solution.