Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Jersey with zippered cell phone pocket

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 07:33 AM
jflanner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folks:

Does anyone have a suggestion on a short sleeved bicycling jersey with a zippered cell phone pocket. I need capacity for a 6.5" x 3.5" cell phone - and want the security of a zipper. Nothing I am seeing (Amazon etc) gives the actual dimensions of the zippered pockets.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-28-21, 09:31 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4395 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,995 Posts
Most cycling jerseys don't have zipped pockets big enough to hold a phone. But the non-zipped ones are plenty deep enough that it's never an issue. I put my phone in a waterproof pouch and pop it in the middle rear jersey pocket.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-28-21, 09:57 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
I understand your plight. I have lost a wallet, and other small Items from Jersey pockets. So now I keep things in a flat pouch around my waist. The pouch is really more like a money belt that lays flat against me under my top.

At my age I personally find it hard to fiddle with zippers when riding. Ha... seems the only thing I can do when I am ridding is ride.
Old 08-28-21, 10:40 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Take a jersey that fits well to an alterations place and have a zipper of your choosing put into one of the pockets.

I have one jersey with a zippered rear security pocket. It's a crappy jersey. Not worth having. And to my knowledge there aren't that many choices with zippers on the pockets.

I have a few nice jerseys, the way they're cut and the way the pockets are shaped and positioned, the phone is completely secure and doesn't move or press into my back. So that's another option.
Old 08-28-21, 02:37 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
I’m sure they’re out there, and you may want to look at MTB jerseys specifically. I have a Fox Racing jersey and a Pearl Izumi jersey both with a zippered pocket in the center back, but they’re both loose cut, regular hem at the waist.

In any case, you’ll still have the problem of finding out the pocket dimensions, as that kind of info seems rarely published. It may be easier for you to just get a commonly available, standard-pocketed jersey, and to put your phone in a case like the Silca Phone Wallet before pocketing it.

https://silca.cc/products/phone-wallet

Because of the size and material, it’s quite secure in a rear jersey pocket; it seems impossible it could bounced out. It also has some padding, so if you crash and slam your phone on the ground, both it and your back are protected against injury to an extent.

Last edited by chaadster; 08-29-21 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Sp
Old 08-28-21, 02:54 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,652 Times in 779 Posts
That's a pretty large phone. I had a phone 6" X 3", and the only jersey with a zippered pocket that it would fit in was a custom one from Jackroo.com. Even with it's large zippered pocket, I can't say your phone would fit.
Old 08-28-21, 03:53 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
My 7mesh short sleeve jerseys have zipper pockets on the both the left and right side. I am able to fit my iphone 11 in either pocket. I have no idea the dimensions of my phone.
Old 08-28-21, 04:24 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
I understand your plight. I have lost a wallet, and other small Items from Jersey pockets. So now I keep things in a flat pouch around my waist. The pouch is really more like a money belt that lays flat against me under my top.
I don’t bother with jerseys, I just use this sports belt to hold phone and keys when needed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC6KN9B...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 08-28-21, 06:13 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Handlebar bag. Nice small one like all the cool gravel riders use. That way nothing heavy weighing down your jersey.
Old 08-28-21, 10:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you don't mind shorts with pockets, Cerotipolar and a few others make bibs and shorts with mesh elastic pockets large enough for pretty much any cell phone. I've been wearing a pair of Cerotipolar shorts this year and the mesh pocket works great. I don't even notice it while pedaling, which surprised me. I thought it would feel draggy but nope.

Only problem is I sweat so much I need to remember to put the phone in a ziplock baggie first. The pocket holds my Moto G Power and quart size ziplock bag, no problem.

When I use an open top jersey pocket, I'll stuff a bandana around the phone to provide a bit of friction to secure the phone. So far, so good.
Old 08-29-21, 01:18 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
The zipper is another thing to scratch up your screen. Zipped pockets are for cash/card and keys.

But here you go.
https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/colle...eve-bike-shirt
Old 08-29-21, 04:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Most jersey pockets are deep enough for a phone. The only times I've felt uneasy about them is when I was wearing a jersey that was too big/poorly fit.
Old 08-31-21, 10:20 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
Here is thought for an oddball MacGyver-ed solution:

There is a $0.97 PenGear brand 8.75" x 4.25" "flat" old-timey, polyester cloth zippered Pencil Case (it comes in a choice of least four different solid colors, BLACK, BLUE, TEAL, or PINK)

You probably can sew this zippered PENCIL CASE on to the inside wall of the open rear pouch on many cycling jerseys.
You could even do it yourself (without your wife's help) with a needle and thread. Zip open the Pencil Pouch and then just stitch from inside one side of the Pencil Pouch through the inside wall of the jersey rear pouch. Anyway, whether you stitch it by hand, or whether you get your girlfriend, your daughter, your wife, or your grandma to stitch it with the SINGER or by hand, if done professionally would have a factory appearance and your phone would be secured as you wish.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen-Gear-...4-25/488173202

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen-Gear-...4-25/427556858

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen-Gear-...4-25/140290153

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen-Gear-...4-25/787517063

Another good use for these el-cheapo $0.97 zipper pencil case flat pouches is to use them to protect your phone from scratches from keys, tools, whatever.... Just insert your phone into the zipper pencil case, and then STUFF it into either your triangle frame bag --OR-- your seat bag................then the keys, tools etc, won't scratch your phone.... My wife began using such a zippered pencil case to protect her phone like that inside the seat bag, when the large size Smartphone replaced the flip phone in 2007.

Below is perhaps another alternative IF YOU WISH TO HAVE either your wife or a seamstress, adapt and professionally stitch this "pre-made utility pocket" directly on to a bicycle jersey. Yes, it is in fact a polyester pouch-case designed for a student's 3 ring binder. It would be extremely simple for someone with Sewing Machine-seamstress skills to cut-off/remove the excess portion with the brass grommets for attachment to the 3 ring binder. You have reasonably good utility in the pocket configuration on this. The color and design would seem to integrate well with certain jerseys, depending on where you would choose to professionally attach this.
It is just a thought. Like Jethro, I'm just an enthusiastic dumbass with a lot of ideas, but many are about as useful as some of Jethro Bodine's hum-dingers. You might see a better way to integrate some similar item, or you might find a better solution than any of these ideas.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pen-Gear-...-7-5/490859324
Likes For Vintage Schwinn:
Old 08-31-21, 11:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There's a video of a parrot grabbing someone's phone and flying around town with it. Maybe we've been going about this all wrong.
Old 09-01-21, 05:36 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Safety pins
Likes For sced:
Old 09-01-21, 08:09 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
You don't need a jersey with a zippered pocket to hold your phone. Standard jersey pockets are large enough and the elastic at the top keeps things in place.

The only possible way you are going to lose anything from your back jersey pocket is if you are standing on your head during your ride doing circus tricks.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-01-21, 08:46 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 1,276 Times in 706 Posts
ironically, if I still had my Motorola StarTac flip-phone it would fit in any of the zippered pockets of the several jersies I own that have one.
But with a touchscreen smartphone those pockets are useless. For almost anything except keys.
Old 09-01-21, 09:19 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
stitch in some velcro at the top of the pocket.
Old 09-01-21, 09:35 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by jflanner
Folks:

Does anyone have a suggestion on a short sleeved bicycling jersey with a zippered cell phone pocket. I need capacity for a 6.5" x 3.5" cell phone - and want the security of a zipper. Nothing I am seeing (Amazon etc) gives the actual dimensions of the zippered pockets.

Thanks in advance!
Time to get a size smaller! Pockets should almost be ''sealed'' once the jacket is zipped. The only time I lost something is when I was showing off by riding with my jacket unzipped to cool down (only to cool down...).
Old 09-01-21, 09:37 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by eduskator
Time to get a size smaller! Pockets should almost be ''sealed'' once the jacket is zipped. The only time I lost something is when I was showing off by riding with my jacket unzipped to cool down (only to cool down...).
He said jersey. Not jacket.
Old 09-01-21, 09:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
But with a touchscreen smartphone those pockets are useless. For almost anything except keys.
I think they're perfect for a key or two, some credit cards and a little folding money. Frankly, I don't want or need a zipped pocket larger than that.
Old 09-01-21, 09:38 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
He said jersey. Not jacket.
Jacket, jersey... Tomatos, tomatoes.
Old 09-01-21, 10:28 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by eduskator
Jacket, jersey... Tomatos, tomatoes.
Reading is fundamental...
Old 09-01-21, 10:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Have carried my iPhone in my back jersey pockets for years without getting remotely close to losing it. Just wondering why a zipper is really necessary unless you crash a lot.

On Amazon, Burgresar, or something similar has zippered jersey pockets my phone will fit in, (just checked) never used them. see pic.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-01-21 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-01-21, 10:43 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Zippered jersey pockets for your wallet.