Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I dont understand

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A couple of things I dont understand

Old 09-20-21, 02:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So is carrying stuff you don't need.
IKR. 405 miles since I started a week ago yesterday. I’ve used everything except my rain pants, pump and flat fixing stuff and my cold/wet weather gloves. Oh. And my Kindle charger.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-20-21, 02:24 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by bowwow
Jeez, that's kinda cold. I'll be sure not to ask you for a favor.
there is a huge difference between being nice and being compassionate. Sometimes the best thing is to let a person pay the price and learn.

Parents who let their kids run around and occasionally fall down tend to raise hardier children that the "You cannot ride your bike with training wheels without knee- and elbow pads, a chest protector, a helmet , and a mouth guard, and mommy walking beside you ... and only three miles per hour ... "

If a friend really needs help I will often help. If a friend pig-headedly puts him/herself into a bad situation despite countless warnings and then calls out for help I will generally say, "Yeah, learn the lesson and raise you game."

If you then choose to blame me for letting you live with your own choices ... yeah, I have higher standards for my friends. I like to hang with people who take responsibility for their actions. Stuff happens, and we all need a hand from time to time, but if you repeatedly dig a hole, jump in, and cry for help, after a while .... I won't be around to hear your crying.
Old 09-20-21, 02:27 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
There is apparently a big difference between how you treat friends and the way I do. I can certainly understand why a person that you refer to as ¨poor sap¨ would not be happy to give you aid.
You expect friends to drop what they are doing and waste time to rescue you from an easily avoidable situation, but I am the one who treats my friends poorly?
Interesting take.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-20-21, 02:32 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by donger
I've been on club rides where some of the more experienced and faster riders don't carry equipment, not even an extra tube. I think it's a combination of wishful thinking and the dependence on other riders for help. I used to do a lot of randonneur and double century rides so I carried a lot of stuff. One of my rider friends used to make fun of me for even having a small 1st aid kit in my saddle bag. That same friend crashed midway in a 200k ride and I used my kit to patch up the rider and we all finished the ride.
Ah. The Blanche DuBois approach - "I have always depended upon the kindness of strangers..."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-20-21, 02:44 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
There is apparently a big difference between how you treat friends and the way I do. I can certainly understand why a person that you refer to as ¨poor sap¨ would not be happy to give you aid.

I'd rescue a friend who did this exactly once. And good luck if I'm out riding myself somewhere. You wouldn't find me ready to come get you.

I don't for the life of me understand why it would be preferable to sit around waiting for someone to pick you up when you could fix this in a few minutes and be on your way. Waiting by the side of the road is boring.
Old 09-20-21, 02:52 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Having arthritic hands makes changing tires tough. I do know how but to avoid painful fingers I take it to the bike shop to fix. Helps that I ride bi-weekly with the owner of the shop. I carry a pump and patch kit, but the only flat I have had was a big chunk of glass that the tire itself was a loss. Luckily I walked home as it was close and took to bike store ASAP. I check the pressure almost every time I use it with a quick tire squeeze, and find that refilling every 2 weeks seems to keep it at the proper amount. And yes, I always keep the cell phone with me. At the least its to call a taxi or friend to come pick my up, at the most if I need to call an ambulance.
Old 09-20-21, 02:53 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I ride 1-2x times a day and other than a quick squeeze never check actual tire pressure before a ride. The conti race light tubes I use have very consistent loss that varies by season: ~10psi in 3 days in the hot (105+ day, 85+ night) summer months and in the colder winter (sub 70s in day, 50s at night) may loose 1-2 psi over a week.
Old 09-20-21, 02:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Marci
Having arthritic hands makes changing tires tough. I do know how but to avoid painful fingers I take it to the bike shop to fix. Helps that I ride bi-weekly with the owner of the shop. I carry a pump and patch kit, but the only flat I have had was a big chunk of glass that the tire itself was a loss. Luckily I walked home as it was close and took to bike store ASAP. I check the pressure almost every time I use it with a quick tire squeeze, and find that refilling every 2 weeks seems to keep it at the proper amount. And yes, I always keep the cell phone with me. At the least its to call a taxi or friend to come pick my up, at the most if I need to call an ambulance.

I'd totally help out a friend whose hands made changing tires problematic. Even with that, you ride around prepared. I can understand that a lot better than the guy who says he's changed enough tubes.
Old 09-20-21, 03:27 PM
bowwow

Bikes: Miyata, Bridgestone, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You expect friends to drop what they are doing and waste time to rescue you from an easily avoidable situation, but I am the one who treats my friends poorly?
Interesting take.
Well, you are, after all, the one referring to friends as ¨poor sap¨. Maybe that plays well in Des Moines, but here in Michigan it would be taken as a real insult.
Old 09-20-21, 03:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
My dear wife has rescued me several times over the years. I'd be embarrassed to interrupt her day because I couldn't/wouldn't fix a flat.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-20-21, 03:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Well, you are, after all, the one referring to friends as ¨poor sap¨. Maybe that plays well in Des Moines, but here in Michigan it would be taken as a real insult.
I am referring to the hypothetical/unknown person you would expect to drop everything and pick you up as a 'poor sap'.
I am not referring to my friends as 'poor sap'.

Are you really not able to follow this? That earlier post was me playing out what I think your conversation would entail. It has nothing to do with my or my friends. You do understand that, right?
Old 09-20-21, 03:47 PM
bowwow

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I am referring to the hypothetical/unknown person you would expect to drop everything and pick you up as a 'poor sap'.
I am not referring to my friends as 'poor sap'.

Are you really not able to follow this? That earlier post was me playing out what I think your conversation would entail. It has nothing to do with my or my friends. You do understand that, right?
Ahh, I see. You're referring to MY friends as saps, eh? Well I can assure you that they will be in no hurry to give you a ride should you need one.
Old 09-20-21, 03:49 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Michigan, Iowa, or Timbuktu makes no difference; anyone who has a friend as inconsiderate as bowwow would certainly qualify as a poor sap in my book.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 09-20-21, 03:52 PM
bowwow

Originally Posted by Rolla
Michigan, Iowa, or Timbuktu makes no difference; anyone who has a friend as inconsiderate as bowwow would certainly qualify as a poor sap in my book.
Another one who throws insults to strangers! Simmer down Rollo
Old 09-20-21, 03:56 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Whatever, Boo-boo. May your so-called friends tell you to get bent next time you want their taxi services.
Old 09-20-21, 04:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

We are all strangers here .... few if any have met .... but we are not complete strangers because we do know one another through our posts here. Our posts either represent who we are, or our senses of humor .... and people here are responding to your posts. You are responding to their posts.

When you told me my behavior was "kind of cold," I didn't cry that you had no right to "insult" me because I was a "stranger." I just took it as your response to my post.

Based on your posts, the only way I can know you right now, you seem spoiled and selfish, and telling Rolla to "simmer down" was deliberately insulting, which you said with great hypocrisy as it was in reaction to him supposedly insulting you unfairly. Is he not equally a stranger to you as you are to him?

If you think your posts are being misinterpreted, then you should clarify. if you think people are supposed to agree with you, well, now you know better. And if you think using your friends as taxi services so you can fix a tire at home instead of on the roadside is valid, appropriate, responsible behavior ... well, that is what most of us think you have been saying. That is what we have been responding to. If you do not like our responses .... why should we, who you call "strangers," be in any way concerned?

My actual friends are pretty smart. If one of them drove an hour round tip to rescue me and then saw me fixing a flat, he or she would say, "Why didn't you fix it when it happened?" If I responded, "I couldn't be bothered to carry four ounces of tools and a tube, I would rather you spend an hour taking care of me because I am so important and you are not," I can guarantee you that my friend would object. Maybe you pick friends who have low self worth, or who have nothing to do with their lives. Maybe you like to befriend people who think serving you is an honor. That is entirely your business.

However, if you choose to express those things here, don't whine like a (female dog synonym) when people comment on your comments. You "simmer down."

No one here is saying you cannot say what you want to say. You are the only person trying to tell other people what they are and are not allowed to say.

Do your friends put up with that crap?

Anyway, it is just BF. Probably if we met at some coffee shop after a ride, we'd all get along ....

By the way, if we were on a ride and got a flat, I would definitely loan you my tools and give you a tube .... Once. You don't need an enabler, you need to deal with your life. If you choose only to ride or be friends with people who enable you .... cool. In my experience, when a person is addicted to bad behavior, helping that person sustain the addiction is Not a friendly act.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-20-21, 04:37 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'd rescue a friend who did this exactly once. And good luck if I'm out riding myself somewhere. You wouldn't find me ready to come get you.

I don't for the life of me understand why it would be preferable to sit around waiting for someone to pick you up when you could fix this in a few minutes and be on your way. Waiting by the side of the road is boring.
Okay, you are the second person who mentioned only needing minutes to fix a flat. Obviously, I'm poorly suited to the task because it probably takes me, at least, a half an hour. And that's if the damn tire cooperates and comes off and better yet, goes back on without (cursing) issues! But I have fixed my share of flats and I don't find it a terrific experience although afterward I might bask in my own success!
Old 09-20-21, 05:42 PM
bowwow

Originally Posted by Maelochs
We are all strangers here .... few if any have met .... but we are not complete strangers because we do know one another through our posts here. Our posts either represent who we are, or our senses of humor .... and people here are responding to your posts. You are responding to their posts.

When you told me my behavior was "kind of cold," I didn't cry that you had no right to "insult" me because I was a "stranger." I just took it as your response to my post.

Based on your posts, the only way I can know you right now, you seem spoiled and selfish, and telling Rolla to "simmer down" was deliberately insulting, which you said with great hypocrisy as it was in reaction to him supposedly insulting you unfairly. Is he not equally a stranger to you as you are to him?

If you think your posts are being misinterpreted, then you should clarify. if you think people are supposed to agree with you, well, now you know better. And if you think using your friends as taxi services so you can fix a tire at home instead of on the roadside is valid, appropriate, responsible behavior ... well, that is what most of us think you have been saying. That is what we have been responding to. If you do not like our responses .... why should we, who you call "strangers," be in any way concerned?

My actual friends are pretty smart. If one of them drove an hour round tip to rescue me and then saw me fixing a flat, he or she would say, "Why didn't you fix it when it happened?" If I responded, "I couldn't be bothered to carry four ounces of tools and a tube, I would rather you spend an hour taking care of me because I am so important and you are not," I can guarantee you that my friend would object. Maybe you pick friends who have low self worth, or who have nothing to do with their lives. Maybe you like to befriend people who think serving you is an honor. That is entirely your business.

However, if you choose to express those things here, don't whine like a (female dog synonym) when people comment on your comments. You "simmer down."

No one here is saying you cannot say what you want to say. You are the only person trying to tell other people what they are and are not allowed to say.

Do your friends put up with that crap?

Anyway, it is just BF. Probably if we met at some coffee shop after a ride, we'd all get along ....

By the way, if we were on a ride and got a flat, I would definitely loan you my tools and give you a tube .... Once. You don't need an enabler, you need to deal with your life. If you choose only to ride or be friends with people who enable you .... cool. In my experience, when a person is addicted to bad behavior, helping that person sustain the addiction is Not a friendly act.
Does this mean I shouldn't call you if I need a ride?
Old 09-20-21, 05:46 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
Okay, you are the second person who mentioned only needing minutes to fix a flat. Obviously, I'm poorly suited to the task because it probably takes me, at least, a half an hour. And that's if the damn tire cooperates and comes off and better yet, goes back on without (cursing) issues! But I have fixed my share of flats and I don't find it a terrific experience although afterward I might bask in my own success!
“Fixing Flats” is always a dirty, physical job, particularly if it’s the rear wheel, and if you’ve got one of those tire/rim combinations that don’t give up without three tire levers and a fight.
I usually don’t patch tubes by the roadside; I typically carry a spare tube, so I can pull out the flat one, address whatever caused the puncture, and install and inflate the fresh one.
Since the inflate>inspect>deflate>patch >inflate process is a real pain with a mini-pump, I save that for when I’m back at the garage with my floor pump and air tank.
I do carry some “glueless” patches in case of multiple flats, but I consider those a “get me home” quick fix, rather than a long term repair.

That seems to be the difference in this thread: One school carries just enough to do a field repair of common issues, to make it back home, while the other believes that they must be prepared for any circumstance, and that it requires a full, shop-level, permanent repair, right on the spot.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 09-20-21, 05:50 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 233 Posts
I check the tyres once per week. At the same time I clean the rims, spokes, tyres and brake pads, wipe the drive train and lubricate the chain and check if all nuts and bolts are tight. As for carrying tools / spares with me, it depends how far I'm going. If it's just my daily commute to work, I have some tools over there and it's not far away, so no need to lug extra stuff.
Old 09-20-21, 06:06 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
That seems to be the difference in this thread: One school carries just enough to do a field repair of common issues, to make it back home, while the other believes that they must be prepared for any circumstance, and that it requires a full, shop-level, permanent repair, right on the spot.
To me it seems more like "prepared to deal with common issues and make it back home" vs "I can't be bothered to learn this stuff or carry anything more than my cell phone," Conscientious adult vs entitled dependent.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-20-21, 06:09 PM
bfaIllini

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Roubaix, Infinity seat

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
I must be the minority here riding latex tubes. Why? Boulder CO "flat rides average 1500 feet climbing. Hilly rides 3-5000 feet. House is on a 15% grade hill. I need every extra watt I can get just to keep up with area cyclists.
For tools, small Speedsleev saddle bag carries what's necessary for roadside repairs. Have helped out friends and strangers with spare tube, tire boot, gas cartridge. Guess I've paid it forward for when I was mercifully picked up by a stranger on mountain road, no cell service, and out of spare tubes. To each their own
Likes For bfaIllini:
Old 09-20-21, 06:31 PM
Maelochs

Does this mean I shouldn't call you if I need a ride?
no, no ... You Should call me. Call only me, never call anyone else. Count on Me to save you. I am the One.

Take the blue pill.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-20-21, 07:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
You guys are being trolled.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-20-21, 07:17 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
To me it seems more like "prepared to deal with common issues and make it back home" vs "I can't be bothered to learn this stuff or carry anything more than my cell phone," Conscientious adult vs entitled dependent.
A lot of bias going on here.
I am a poor bicycle mechanic but I have always been handy with home computers and I can’t tell you how many times I took time out to help a friend with a basic computer issue. Sometimes even stopping what I was doing to help out.
Should I not have?
Should I have instead insulted them and told them that they should have known how to manually configure a router 10 years ago?
Because that was pretty basic even back then so they should have known how to do it on their own.
BF road mechanic warriors are truly a pathetic lot

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.