Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Is there anything weird with how my bike is set up?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 08:58 AM
djdelarosa25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi there! I bought my first road bike two days ago after using my dad's bikes for more than a year. In that time, I got pretty acquainted with all things cycling and you could say I know a few things about bikes.

My bike is a Giant Contend 2 and here's the geometry chart (giant-bicycles(dot)com/int/contend-2-2021#geometry). I'm 165 cm tall with a 77 cm inseam and according to the recommended sizing range, I could go for an XS or S. They didn't have any S available, so I went for the XS, which I was okay with since I thought I'm on the lowest end of the recommended range anyway if I went with S, and with XS I could get a longer stem and all that to compensate.

Here's a picture of my bike. (i(dot)imgur(dot)com/OK4xJ6X.jpg)

I took the whole day today and yesterday setting it up and finding what works for me. I swapped the 80 mm stem on it with a 100 mm one and to be honest, even 100 mm feels like the max I could use since I have a pretty short torso compared to my legs. It rides pretty similarly to my dad's old bike that I was using. Does everything look fine with, though? It kind of looks too small to me because of that sloped top tube, even though the reach is already pretty long for me with a 100 mm stem. Did I **** up by buying XS instead of S, or is everything alright and I'm just being pedantic?

Thanks a lot!

By the way, sorry for the manner in which I linked my stuff. I'm a new member.
​​​​​​
Old 01-24-21, 09:37 AM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I am not able to see your attachment pic.
You may need to resize it smaller for it to appear.
Old 01-24-21, 09:37 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Here are those links.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/c...-2021#geometry

https://i.imgur.com/OK4xJ6X.jpg
Old 01-24-21, 10:31 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Ride it around. How does it feel?

I'm taller than you but also have the longer legs vs torso build. It does seem you could have also fit the small, which would have given you less seat post length, and maybe the need to shorten the handlebar stem. Riding the larger size when in between sizes is my preference, but everyone is different.
Old 01-24-21, 12:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Realize that when you rode that other bike, it might not have been set up perfectly for you and you simply got used to it. So don't necessarily go by the differences you feel between the two bikes. Unless you are having a real issue of pain.

If you ride this bike for a couple hundred miles and find that something it really causing you an annoyance, then you might look back to the other bike and try to figure out what is different about the two that might be causing you pain or other issues.

You can fit in a variety of positions on bikes with varying geometries and be perfectly comfortable or issue free on them all.
Old 01-24-21, 01:26 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
pic assist:

Looks fine to me. If it works for you it works for you. Don't let the purists tell you you've got too much seatpost showing. A long exposed carbon seatpost is the best suspension you can have.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 01-25-21, 12:14 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
If it works for you it works for you. Don't let the purists tell you you've got too much seatpost showing.
I agree. My seat post comment only comes from experience as one with a similar long leg/short torso build that the OP claimed to have, and what's been more comfortable for me. If it works is what counts.
Old 01-26-21, 07:20 AM
djdelarosa25

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all your comments! Finally I feel validated lol. I measured my dad's old road bike that I used and it has the exact same top tube length (51 cm) as my new bike, so hooray! The only difference is due to Giant's Compact Road Design; the seat tube on my bike is significantly shorter (43 vs 48 cm), but hey, I still have a lot of seatpost left.
Originally Posted by cubewheels
If you're not having toe strike issue when pedaling while going slow and turning very tightly then I don't see anything wrong with your bike.
Hmm, I do have that with my dad's old bike and even my friend's bike that's larger than what I would ride, but I very rarely encounter it so it's a non-issue for me.

Originally Posted by cubewheels
P.S. Is that photo somewhere in the Philippines? Actually a very small frame is good choice for riding the bumpy roads of Philippines, that leaves you more seatpost exposed - more seatpost flex which helps cushion the bumps on the road. I also ride in the Philippines with a gravel bike that has wider tires and with seatpost suspension, helps a lot cushion the bumps.
It is! Good eyes, how did you know?
Likes For djdelarosa25: