Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Downtime while touring.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Downtime while touring.

Old 03-08-21, 09:14 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Hey, I worked editing photos for decades, I notice stuff.
couldn't resist trying to come up with some sort of lame ass joke.
My apologies for maligning Nova Scotia with outrageous claims, I'm sure they won't mind, they're so damn polite.
Old 03-09-21, 01:36 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
couldn't resist trying to come up with some sort of lame ass joke.
My apologies for maligning Nova Scotia with outrageous claims, I'm sure they won't mind, they're so damn polite.
Fun fact: the Rideau canal system from the St. Lawrence River to Ottawa was plagued (heh) with malaria outbreaks. Apparently Canada had an endemic species of plasmodium, P Vivax. Ontario, however, is not NS.
Old 03-09-21, 06:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I was a high school newspaper photographer, I notice stuff too. You did not want to publish a photo that had some other story in it that would detract. But this is bike forums, mosquitos are often part of the story. Like the herd of mosquitos (these were in PEI) that were waiting for breakfast when I unzipped my tent door in the morning.

And once again I apologize for being off topic.
Old 03-09-21, 07:11 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I ride an e bike on tour. Let's see, I spend a great deal of time massaging sore muscles trying to prevent leg cramps. Then its sore hip joints that don't want to move. How could one get bored doing that? I set up camp and cook a meal, I might plan out the next day but that is a long time in the future after a days ride. I hydrate, eat a lot of salt, work on the bike and enjoy the sounds of the great out doors. I can hurt at home or on a bike tour. My choice is to hurt on tour.
Old 03-09-21, 07:25 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Fun fact: the Rideau canal system from the St. Lawrence River to Ottawa was plagued (heh) with malaria outbreaks. Apparently Canada had an endemic species of plasmodium, P Vivax. Ontario, however, is not NS.
I remember that from history class now that you bring it up.
Old 03-09-21, 07:32 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I was a high school newspaper photographer, I notice stuff too. You did not want to publish a photo that had some other story in it that would detract. But this is bike forums, mosquitos are often part of the story. Like the herd of mosquitos (these were in PEI) that were waiting for breakfast when I unzipped my tent door in the morning.

And once again I apologize for being off topic.
yup , mozzies sure are part of the reality sometimes of outdoor activities. Luckily on my bike trips they haven't been a terrible nuisance, not like hiking or canoeing.
I just found it funny that in those few seconds when you took the photo, one took advantage right away.
Old 03-09-21, 08:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
yup , mozzies sure are part of the reality sometimes of outdoor activities. Luckily on my bike trips they haven't been a terrible nuisance, not like hiking or canoeing.
I just found it funny that in those few seconds when you took the photo, one took advantage right away.
I met a trail crew in PEI doing bike trail maintenance. I was curious what bug repellant they used, I assumed that all had compared notes on what was the right one to buy. I asked and was surprised to learn that they all had different brands.

And again, sorry for being off topic.
Old 03-09-21, 09:00 AM
djb

Ya, I'm not too keen on using the stuff, unless its really really necessary. Generally go the "long baggy pants and long sleeve shirt, plus sun hat" route to cut down on the vast majority of biteable areas, and it has to be bad for me to put some on my socks or back of hands, just cuz I'm not crazy about having the stuff on my skin when I'm going to get into a sleeping bag etc.
I think the last time we experienced lot of mosquitoes on a bike trip was oddly enough in France, a campground near a river that was bad around dusk-unusual for France in my experience.
Old 03-09-21, 04:22 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I think the last time we experienced lot of mosquitoes on a bike trip was oddly enough in France, a campground near a river that was bad around dusk-unusual for France in my experience.
The Camargue? French mozzies love it there
Old 03-09-21, 05:22 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
...downtime while touring..what downtime while touring?
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-09-21, 07:37 PM
djb

Originally Posted by imi
The Camargue? French mozzies love it there
no recollection, somewhere along the EV6 route. I just remember meeting a really cool family with two kids on bikes who were French, but had just been back from biking in South America for a really long time, had a cool tandem thing where the person in front sits below the rear driver. It was cute because I started speaking to the kids in Spanish for fun and they just kept speaking in Spanish with me, as they had been doing it for so long....they had only been back in France for a short time (days) and were riding home or to grandparents or something.
Old 03-16-21, 01:51 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
My experience has been that riding + stopping for food or breaks + general tomfoolery takes up so much of the day that it is almost always near or after dark by the time I roll into a campsite. If there is still a lot of day left by the time you get to your stopping point, you may have missed some things you could have seen or done or tasted along the way.

A McNap somewhere in Eastern Canada

Pic from 2018. We had a ways to go before our planned stop for the night, but it was quite hot so we stopped in a town, goofed around, ate, did some shopping, etc, and my chum took a nap in the grass beside the McParking Lot. We got back on the road after it cooled down a bit in the evening.

I generally enjoy riding alone, but touring with friends gives you company to prevent boredom.

Also, drinking a whole bottle of wine to yourself feels much less responsible than sharing four bottles of wine among four people 😁
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 03-16-21, 02:56 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
So what do you guys do when your done riding for the day on tours. I remember my last solo tour and boredom was a bear. The riding was great, but when I was done for the day I was bored to death. It was usually to hot to sleep. What keeps you busy while not on the bike?
Check out the local scene! Go to a cafe, drink a beer, visit whatever there is to visit locally. Talk to the locals. Ask them what's unusual or unique about their town. If you're in the sticks, hike, swim, check out the local wildlife, or whatever you'd do on your day off.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 03-17-21, 05:01 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by MixedRider
If at an established campground I buy some firewood and make fire! Staring at that for a couple hours is always fun.
If solo/little amenities, I take a book and/or movie on my phone.
Overall, I have a strategy for basic chores to do depending on the type of campground I am at. Can I clean some clothes, take a shower, evaluate snack/water situation, etc.
However, as others have said, sometimes just sitting there staring into space is a good way to pass some time too after a long day in the saddle.
This pretty much sums it up for my routine as well. When I was a heavy drinker, I'd fill in any empty spots with copious amounts of beer and booze. Now that I'm sober, I do fall into a state of boredom much easier than before, so I've been looking into different things to occupy my mind. I like your idea of a fire. Its the television of primal man. Staring into the flames is a good way to pass the time. Its balm for a tired soul.

Otherwise, I always have a book or two available on my phone, and lately I've been getting into meditation and exercising the parts that get less-used while riding. Yoga has always been considered as a sissy activity if you are a real man, but swallow your pride like I did and give it a go. Worth it. Yoga is also a very portable activity!