Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot PX-10?

Old 03-27-21, 09:30 AM
JoshRitchie

Bikes: Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot PX-10?

I need help identifying the year of two Peugeot PX-10’s. Will post pics after I hit 10 posts - goofy rule. The differences on my bikes that may help identify the year includes the gear shifters are on the stem of the bike, and there are “hooks” on the down tube that look like they are designed to hold something, such as a pump or possible bottles. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by JoshRitchie; 03-27-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-27-21, 11:22 AM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
The 10 post rule is not that hard to achieve. Why do you have two PX-10's? What are your plans for them? Answer, and get two posts accomplished.
Old 03-27-21, 11:54 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,228 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshRitchie
I need help identifying the year of two Peugeot PX-10’s. Will post pics after I hit 10 posts - goofy rule. The differences on my bikes that may help identify the year includes the gear shifters are on the stem of the bike, and there are “hooks” on the down tube that look like they are designed to hold something, such as a pump or possible bottles. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

...many older Peugeots are misidentified as "PX-10". It's doubtful whether any older Peugeot with stem mounted shifters is a PX-10. They did not come equipped that way as sold originally.

Some of the standard things to look for/at on your bike (for PX 10-ness), are the fork crown, the chrome socks on the stays and the fork, and the strange little aluminum number tag on the BB, the purpose of which I've never understood. If there are frame tubing stickers remaining, the full frame 531 double butted one shows up on the PX-10.There are a lot of old black and white Peugeots that look similar to a PX-10, but are not.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-27-21, 11:58 AM
JoshRitchie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...many older Peugeots are misidentified as "PX-10". It's doubtful whether any older Peugeot with stem mounted shifters is a PX-10. They did not come equipped that way as sold originally.

Some of the standard things to look for/at on your bike (for PX 10-ness), are the fork crown, the chrome socks on the stays and the fork, and the strange little aluminum number tag on the BB, the purpose of which I've never understood. If there are frame tubing stickers remaining, the full frame 531 double butted one shows up on the PX-10.There are a lot of old black and white Peugeots that look similar to a PX-10, but are not.
They have the fork crowns, chromo socks, and the aluminum tags.
Old 03-27-21, 12:00 PM
JoshRitchie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
The 10 post rule is not that hard to achieve. Why do you have two PX-10's? What are your plans for them? Answer, and get two posts accomplished.
I bought them as a pair. I plan to sell the smaller one and keep the larger one for smaller rides with the family or shorter group rides.
Old 03-27-21, 12:01 PM
JoshRitchie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

What else should l look for? Were there different production models for different countries?
Old 03-27-21, 12:22 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Not PX10s . Didn't have shifters on the stem, and didn't have "Hooks" on the downtube.

Last edited by trailangel; 03-27-21 at 12:29 PM.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 03-27-21, 12:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
The 10 post requirement is not a goofy rule. It's an anti-spam measure.
Old 03-27-21, 02:24 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 79 Posts
I bought them as a pair. I plan to sell the smaller one and keep the larger one for smaller rides with the family or shorter group rides.
selling the smaller one? Do you know top tube lengths on these classics?
Are they the standard white paint with black lugs, or something exotic? 😄
A list of some of the major components will help in their identification.
Old 03-28-21, 12:03 PM
JoshRitchie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Not PX10s . Didn't have shifters on the stem, and didn't have "Hooks" on the downtube.
What do you think it could be then?
Old 03-28-21, 01:24 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,880 Times in 1,645 Posts
Since you now have your ten posts, you can upload the photos to eliminate the need for further guesswork. Drive side photo of whole bike and closeups of derailleurs, brakes, crankset, and wheels would be a good start.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-28-21, 03:02 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
The "hooks" on the downtube are likely pump pegs. Along with the stem shifters these could be UO8's which are often mistaken for PX10's. What size wheels? PX10's came equipped with tubular tires
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-28-21, 04:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Fork crown from a Prugnat lugged PX-10 (70's)

Same bike

Fork crown from a Nervex lugged PX-10 (70's)

Stamped, folded, and welded fork crown from a Peugeot that is not a PX-10 (also 70's)
Old 03-28-21, 04:24 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...older Peugeots are one of the more difficult bicycles to ID, that get often asked about here.
I am not very good at it, personally. It's easier if you have all the original frame tubing stickers still present.
Old 03-29-21, 09:47 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
1970 PA-10

1972 PR-10L

Old 03-29-21, 11:13 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
JoshRitchie if the bike has integrated (brazed-on) pump pegs, unless they were added after-the-fact, it's likely not a 1960s or later PX-10.

Could be a PX-8 or a PX-40, which despite the "PX" prefix, is not anywhere near as prestigious or high-end as the PX-10.

If there are no traces of Reynolds 531 or Vitus tubing stickers anywhere on the bike, chances are it's in Peugeot's low end, possibly the lower mid-range.

Pics will help tremendously for us to help figure out what you've actually got, year, etc.

Old 03-29-21, 12:05 PM
JoshRitchie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclic_eric
selling the smaller one? Do you know top tube lengths on these classics?
Are they the standard white paint with black lugs, or something exotic? 😄
A list of some of the major components will help in their identification.
Smaller bike’s top tube is 22”. Will post pictures shortly.
Old 03-29-21, 12:11 PM
JoshRitchie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pictures

All, thanks for the feedback. Apologies on not getting these to you sooner, but didn’t realize there was a 5 post limit per day. Lots of cool bikes on the forum! Looking forward to reading the replies.

Last edited by JoshRitchie; 03-29-21 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 12:14 PM
JoshRitchie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 03-29-21, 01:24 PM
bikemig 

This is a 70s UO 8. I like this bike and with a lot of work it can make a very good bike. But it has steel rims, a steel cottered crank, the delrin shifters and front derailleurs are problematic (the rear derailleur tends to hold up better).

I'd value this bike at $50 as it sits. Over a $100 should get you a bike with alloy rims and better derailleurs.
Old 03-29-21, 01:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Looks just like the UO8 that I bought brand new in 1972
Old 03-29-21, 01:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...the one with the Aztec lugs is the UO-8 they're talking about. They were the affordable 10 speed bike in the 70's, so a lot of them got sold here in America. They served, for many of us, as oiur introduction to the strange and different world of French standards, for threading and tubing diameters.

I am uncertain what the other one is (with the other lug pattern.) But it is for sure not a PX-10.

Both those frames have the geometry typical for their era, with a longer wheelbase, lots of clearance for fenders, and a generally more open aspect. They have fans, but their value is limited because so many of them were made and sold.
Old 03-30-21, 03:03 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Agree with previous posters. While the PX-10 was virtually the top of the line (only the PY-10 or PZ-10 ultimately be higher), while what you have here, not sure it's a UO-8 but if not it's equivalent to, is virtually the bottom of the line (maybe just the AO-8 ultimately be lower). the "Aztec" lugs are a dead giveaway, you'll never find them on high-end bikes, nor will you find the stamped steel dropouts. These are dead ringers for anyone in-the-know.

As-is I think with a seat on the bike shown, you could get $100-200 depending on your market, with $100 being a quick sale, $200 being you sitting on it possibly for months and it still may never sell. In both cases the buyer will probably want it because it looks cool and is loved by hipsters, but they're unaware how low-end it is.

I only value this higher than @bikemig because it's clear someone has put work into the bike, whether it's tactful, correct or not (looking at the cable stops) is another story, but suggests the bike may've been worked on and you could claim that in the ad to justify pricing it above $150. Were this a PX-10, in the condition shown, i.e. some work but not fully restored, you may be able to net $250-$350 for it. One member here on BF has a minty fresh restored PX-10 with fancy lugs in metallic blue, superb shape, original, going on its 3rd or 4th eBay auction cycle, currently reduced to $550 and it's still not selling.

Can't say much about the bike in the background in the last pic. If it's exactly the same, then same valuation there.

Old 03-30-21, 03:11 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

I should add one bit - despite the low stature of this specific model, these bikes rode exceptionally well. The #1 thing dragging it down was those steel rims. #2 thing dragging it down were the plastic-laden derailleurs. #3 thing was the steel handlebars and seat post. If you swap out just those things, you'll probably shave a pound or more off the bike, make an already good rider even better. But you're looking at a $80-100 investment to get there if you don't have the spare parts stash to pull it off.

Still. I personally prefer the ride of Peugeot's lower-end bikes to some of the similar-level offerings from Fuji, for example. I'm biased, but the French were doing a great job across the board during bike boom era.

Old 03-30-21, 03:54 PM
bikemig 

While my valuation came out lower than francophile , I agree with what he said about this bike being an exceptionally good bike once it is fixed up with better derailleurs (at least the front derailleur and shifters), better crank, and better wheels. But that runs into money which is why I think that there are better buys in the used vintage market.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.