Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend any very large seats?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-10-21, 05:20 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

I saw this looks like it should be very comfortable. But the delivery for a minimum of two is $112.46, where I am. So I am not planning to buy any. When I return to Australia, I might check the price again. These are for sale on alibaba.

Has anyone had these?

Are there any other very large seats that you recommend?

Old 07-10-21, 05:32 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Be sure to order one of these as well.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-10-21, 06:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I don't think that's meant for anyone who wants to actually pedal their bike. It's specifically labeled as an e-bike saddle, and I can't imagine any way to use that that wouldn't interfere with your thighs' motion.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-21, 06:20 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Way too heavy.
Old 07-10-21, 06:49 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 252 Posts
I would just go to Walmart and get the biggest they have for $20. Seriously, if you really need one that big to ride you are way too heavy, which you already know. I know too because I was 360lbs when I started riding. I now weigh 180lbs. You don't want to try to make everything fit your over large body as much as try to get your over large body to fit a normal seat. I changed seats about every 3-4 months as my rear changed size. In such a case cheap seats make more sense.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 07-10-21, 12:44 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Pretty much any recumbent...
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 07-10-21, 01:42 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Assuming your riding position and your hindquarters are a good fit for the size, look at the Selle SMP Martin Touring or Selle SMP E-City saddles.

Have had the Martin Touring. It's wide for me, but with a nearly-upright position it's comfortable enough. Isn't an inexpensive saddle, but it's durable and (I think) good-looking.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/saddles/...large-gel.html

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/saddles/e-city.html

Uncertain what your riding position is, but if it happens to be a nearly-upright one then you might consider the Brooks (England) saddles for upright riding:

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/...g_position=361
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 07-10-21, 03:16 PM
alo

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I would just go to Walmart and get the biggest they have for $20. Seriously, if you really need one that big to ride you are way too heavy, which you already know. I know too because I was 360lbs when I started riding. I now weigh 180lbs. You don't want to try to make everything fit your over large body as much as try to get your over large body to fit a normal seat. I changed seats about every 3-4 months as my rear changed size. In such a case cheap seats make more sense.
There are two different issues.

1. What seat will do the job? I don't know how big the largest seat in Walmart is. But you may be right.

2. What is the most comfortable seat you can get? A very large seat would probably be even more comfortable than a seat that will do the job. I have larger bones than average. So this applies more to me than those with small bones.
Old 07-10-21, 04:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts
Might as well get this.

Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-10-21, 05:25 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
Might as well get this.

For the big-boned.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-10-21, 05:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by RH Clark

Formerly fat guy here as well ( I only lost 140 pounds, I bow to you). I did ride wider seats when I was big, but nothing remotely close to that shape. That's basically a bench in the rear and, as I said above, I don't think it's designed for a bike that needs to be pedaled. Fat butt or not, that's got to impair your thigh motion.

We should compare notes some time, we're now biking at about the same weight. I don't get to meet a lot of other people who can compare riding at 300+ to 180.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-10-21, 06:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Just in case someone stumbles across this and thinks yeah this is real I need that...DON'T. Saddle should be based on sit bones and should not be very wide unless you go more upright however keep in mind you still have to pedal. A motorcycle is not something you need to pedal hence you can have a very wide saddle, same thing with scooters but too wide of a saddle on a bike and you will have issues pedaling.

Measure your sit bones (ischial tuberosity) and look for saddles that closely match that and have a position that works for your body and riding position. Also keep in mind soft padded saddles DO NOT help with pain, they actually cause more pain as they don't give your sit bones support and that is what they need. Having padding is not bad at all but soft gels and covers and things like that don't actually help and can make things quite worse. Also keep in mind saddle pain might not be the saddle but your fit on the bike. If that saddle is not in the right position in terms of set back and height of your seatpost and where your bars are at and your hands sit, it could all cause pain that you may blame on your saddle.

You might try a bunch of different saddles in the search for the right one but you might also see your local fitter and have them give you some recommendations based on what they saw when doing your fit and their expertise of the body and cycling.

One final note: True E-bikes do require pedaling, those with throttles are really just poor mopeds but in that case if I want a throttle I want a motorcycle or a scooter or an actual moped but I would rather have a bicycle with pedal assist or not.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-10-21, 06:14 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
My wife thought she wanted something like this when we started riding the tandem.

I told her that she would not like that saddle. I thought I heard something muttered about know it all engineers, so I got her one like that from Wally's. We rode less than a mile before she decided that we needed to go back and put the narrow Sella Italia Diva saddle back on.

There were two problems. Firstly, as was pointed out, a wide saddle like that interfere with normal pedaling motion. Secondly, we could not find a tilt position for the big saddle that didn't make her slide off, either in front or off the back.

But saddles can be a very personal choice, The "Chain Reaction Cycles" web site has some wider saddles, including several from Brooks. I have Brooks B17 on my winter bikes because they don't get brittle in sub zero weather, and they are comfortable to me. YMMV.
Old 07-10-21, 06:32 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Just in case someone stumbles across this and thinks yeah this is real…
+1.

It is not real.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-11-21, 05:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by veganbikes
One final note: True E-bikes do require pedaling, those with throttles are really just poor mopeds but in that case if I want a throttle I want a motorcycle or a scooter or an actual moped but I would rather have a bicycle with pedal assist or not.
True, I think the ad for this seat is misleading in that regard. This is obviously for throttle control bikes.
Old 07-11-21, 06:56 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
My wife has a Cloud 9 seat on her bike.

I have one that is slightly lighter.
Old 07-11-21, 07:00 AM
alo

One thing I do know is, the larger the seat the more comfortable it is. That is for me. Not everyone is the same. The seat I am using at present is one of the largest ordinary seats commonly available. It is actually not a lot smaller than the one in the picture.

I have not bought one of these. But if I find the delivery price is significantly cheaper in the future, I might buy one or two. If I do, I will see what I think of it.

It is also possible I might find a different very large seat.

We have to wait to see what happens in the future.
Old 07-11-21, 12:20 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 2,976 Posts
Well if anyone doubted the previous troll threads…..
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-11-21, 12:27 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
I had a Cloud 9 on my Trek Pure my dad gave me and that seat is horrible. The cushion and springs are, well, too soft and "springy" and hurt my back. Replaced it with a Brooks B67 and after a test ride around the neighborhood I can tell it's much better already.

The Cloud 9 might be okay for a Buick LeSabre but certainly not for a bicycle.

Last edited by smurfy; 07-11-21 at 12:31 PM.
Likes For smurfy:
Old 07-11-21, 05:04 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GlennR

I have one that is slightly lighter.
We should stop caring about bike weight.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-11-21, 05:12 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
True Story

I had a heavy set co-worker ask about my daily bike commute. We got to talking about bike seats. He asked, "where could I find a seat for me?"

I paused... "how about the Smithsonian?" was my reply.
Old 07-11-21, 05:13 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
One thing I do know is, the larger the seat the more comfortable it is. That is for me. Not everyone is the same. The seat I am using at present is one of the largest ordinary seats commonly available. It is actually not a lot smaller than the one in the picture.

I have not bought one of these. But if I find the delivery price is significantly cheaper in the future, I might buy one or two. If I do, I will see what I think of it.

Yes, the larger the seat the more comfortable it is....
but people that actually ride a bike will use a saddle, which is different from your wide seat... which is made for a wide, overweight person, to sit down on.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-11-21, 06:02 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
We should stop caring about bike weight.
The weight is not why I chose it... it is VERY comfortable, even on long rides.
Old 07-11-21, 06:25 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

I suspect that in order to pedal using one of those, the thighs would have to be splayed out at 45 degrees or more and then in order for the feet to hit the pedals, the knees would have to counter that splaying torquing the knees uncomfortably inward.

But anatomically, we are all slightly different or, perhaps, GREATLY different.
Old 07-11-21, 08:41 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GlennR
The weight is not why I chose it... it is VERY comfortable, even on long rides.
Likely story. We all know you are obsessed with bike weight, contrary to what the OP believes we should be.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.