Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is the perfect set up drivetrain silent?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-21, 09:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts

May be a stupid question but I never knew one could be absolutely silent until I rode my “new” 2012 bike 300 total miles. It has an Ultegra group set and when I pedal it makes absolutely no sound. My 2020 bike also with full Ultegra makes what I would consider the ‘normal’ mechanical sound which I have heard on all my bikes for decades. So, brain trust, is my 2020 bike not dialed in or is the 2012 bike an anomaly?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-09-21, 09:23 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
I've had fairly quiet drive trains and others that were a tad more noisy, but nothing seemed out of sorts.

Old 08-10-21, 03:00 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I love a quiet bike. Some bikes and set ups seem to be impossible to get there. I am presently working on a carbon fiber frameset that I have never been able to get to an acceptable level of quietness. I believe the carbon fiber is a root cause for that. Having said that, I have managed to quiet down the drive train considerably by installing new internal cable/housing, chain, cassette, Shimano chain rings, different tire/tube set up. It is mostly 5700 components with an FSA Omega crankset/bb. Switching to Shimano chain rings really helped. I just received a new Shimano PF BB for bb86 and am going to pull the FSA and mount a Tiagra 4600. 48/34, crank set. I am hoping that will quiet the drivetrain even more. I think the cf transmits all the vibration/noise in a way the it kind of reverberates throughout the frame.
Old 08-10-21, 04:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Are you using the same chain lube on both? Just to rule that out.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-10-21, 04:56 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I dislike using superlatives, therefore: all other things being equal, a quieter drivetrain is probably better than a noisier one, since the sound is generated by converting mechanical energy to sound. Efficiency losses due to noise are likely miniscule compared to other sources of mechanical inefficiency (IANAE - I am not an engineer), so I wouldn't worry about some drivetrain noise.

Once the bike is set up properly, the thing to notice is a change in drivetrain noise (type or volume), not necessarily the absolute volume. We've all run across the rider with the grinding/squeaking drivetrain, so just don't be that guy.
Old 08-10-21, 05:11 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by noimagination
I dislike using superlatives, therefore: all other things being equal, a quieter drivetrain is probably better than a noisier one, since the sound is generated by converting mechanical energy to sound. Efficiency losses due to noise are likely miniscule compared to other sources of mechanical inefficiency (IANAE - I am not an engineer), so I wouldn't worry about some drivetrain noise.

Once the bike is set up properly, the thing to notice is a change in drivetrain noise (type or volume), not necessarily the absolute volume. We've all run across the rider with the grinding/squeaking drivetrain, so just don't be that guy.
Sawdust in car gearboxes makes them quieter, but it's not very mechanically efficient. Using a thick oil based lube on a chain will have a similar effect, but again it's not very efficient. Straight cut gears are much noiser than helical gears, but they are more efficient. So mechanical noise and efficiency are not necessarily related. So I kind of agree with you here. I wouldn't worry about drivetrain noise and it doesn't imply that your silent 2012 drivetrain is more efficient. It's probably just heavier and a bit less resonant through the frame etc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-10-21, 05:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
If quietness is the benchmark, then the best drivetrain would be a belt drive fixie. How is that gonna work for everyone?
Old 08-10-21, 06:09 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
It’s probably irrelevant for riding efficiency. The energy in actual sound is typically small. If your drivetrain generated one watt of acoustic energy, you’d experience an SPL of nearly 110 dB at your riding position and NIOSH would recommend you ride no more than two hours per day due to the impact on your hearing. More realistic noises would probably be less than a milliwatt.

Otto
Old 08-10-21, 06:31 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
+1 quiet bikes

My favorite bike to ride is my fixed gear Wabi. It basically makes no sound at all, none. Squirt lubes my chain on that bike. It makes sneaking up on other riders a fun and entertaining thing to do.

Back in the day we would hunt-down freewheels that were really quiet, and, pay more for those. Regina's were especially quiet. Steel bikes with the right equipment and drive train are still really quiet. Carbon fiber bikes sound like a guitar playing bike sounds. I could never ride one because of that.

Yeah, I guess I'm weird in that respect, but I don't care. Quiet is the way to go for me.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 08-10-21, 06:43 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I'll sometimes get a little mechanical noise if I've gone too long since I last cleaned and lubed my chain and cassette. I clean them and lube them and the sound goes away. That is counter to what I would otherwise assume; it seems the dust + lube should muffle the sound and make it quieter, but it doesn't. Clean and freshly lubed is quieter on my bike.
Old 08-10-21, 06:45 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Tinnitus.... All my bikes are silent. My world? Not so much... Enjoy the sound of the chain noise.
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 08-10-21, 06:55 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
May be a stupid question but I never knew one could be absolutely silent until I rode my “new” 2012 bike 300 total miles. It has an Ultegra group set and when I pedal it makes absolutely no sound. My 2020 bike also with full Ultegra makes what I would consider the ‘normal’ mechanical sound which I have heard on all my bikes for decades. So, brain trust, is my 2020 bike not dialed in or is the 2012 bike an anomaly?
Some bike frames transmit noise more than others. I once had a titanium bike with a 9 speed Campagnolo Chorus drivetrain that was always a bit noisy no matter what sort of adjustments or lubrication I used. The frame developed a crack and I replaced it with a Look KG381 which is a frame constructed with shaped carbon fiber tubes bonded into aluminum lugs. With exactly the same components, drivetrain noise almost disappeared, the only change was the frame material and construction. Not knowing what bikes you are talking about I can only speculate that there is something other than the components on your bike that accounts for more drivetrain noise on one bike than on the other but I suspect that frame design is a big factor
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 08-10-21, 07:20 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
My two magnesium framed bikes are quieter than my carbon bikes. I don't ride the steel or aluminum often enough to compare. My material science background isn't the best but the propagation and attenuation of sound varies by material. And, it helps if the chain is clean and properly lubed and the hanger is aligned properly, too. Worn out chains, rings, and cassettes are noisy
Old 08-10-21, 07:37 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by 308jerry
Tinnitus.... All my bikes are silent. My world? Not so much... Enjoy the sound of the chain noise.
Ditto. Never thought of that, maybe that's why I thought my bikes were so well tuned! Surprised we still have to deal with it--must be a million and one "remedies" on the web!!
Old 08-10-21, 08:13 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Love a quiet bike. A silent 2012 Ultegra setup isn't an anomaly.

As for your 2020...I'd give it a good cleaning, lube, tuning and compare the chains (and chain wear) between the two bikes. Also try to localize where the 2020 sound it coming from..and compare.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 08-10-21, 08:31 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My material science background isn't the best but the propagation and attenuation of sound varies by material.
Yes. And there will be additional effects from the complexities of the frame shape, such as reflection and transmission at interfaces like lugs or tube joints. And probably complicated types of vibrational modes of the frame. Eek.

Otto
Old 08-10-21, 08:59 AM
masonv45

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCRc2, 2016 GT Aggressor Expert

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
When freshly lubed, my 2005 Giant OCR Composite 1 (full carbon/Ultegra components/FSA BB) is silent. I only hear the tires on the road unless a little cross-chaining is going on. When I hear chain noise in gears where the chain is straight, I know it's time to clean and re-lube.

On a freshly paved road at slow speeds, the bike was so quiet I started to hear a ping on every rotation of the front wheel. Took me weeks to figure out that the spokes were "rubbing" against each other - producing the ping noise. Going faster - or on a rougher road, the tire/road noise was loud enough to cover up the "ping" noise.
Old 08-10-21, 09:13 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Silence is the goal, but I understand that a metal chain moving across rotating metal teeth is going to involve friction, and therefore noise. But a well-adjusted and lubricated drivetrain can minimize this, so I maintain the moving parts meticulously. I reap the rewards when I'm gliding along, hearing only my tires on the road. That's my happy place.
Old 08-10-21, 09:20 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
A maintained, cleaned, lightly lubricated drive train will be its quietest. There are a number of variables that were discussed above.

If you want a quiet drive train, ride fixed.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 08-10-21 at 12:31 PM.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-10-21, 10:19 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Unfortunately I’m over-the-top obsessive with drivetrain noise. Because all of our drivetrains are 8 speed spacing, except one 7 speed freewheel, my logic is that any idiot can make a drivetrain quiet with that much space between the cogs.

I will build whatever cassette range I want if I can’t buy one that way. With full length cogs it is pretty easy. But I have one bike, with a new but not precise downtube index shifter, that I have returned to multiple times. When swapping out spacers that vary by .1mm (.004”) that is pretty far out there.

That said, it is a bit relative to the conditions someone is riding in. If I’m out in a lot of traffic, which is happening less these days, and I hear noise, it has to be pretty significant. If I’m on a mtb on a trail away from everything, that is where the quiet is really noticeable.

John
Old 08-10-21, 12:37 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Lots of the noise you often hear from folks is probably maladjusted RD's or untrimmed FD or cross chaining with the FD rubbing the cage.

A fairly straight chain line on a drivetrain that isn't totally trashed, nasty, and rusty will usually be pretty quiet if adjusted properly.

The interaction of the whole system with the wind and the tires on the tarmac are usually all that I hear. Even to the point you can hear minor changes in tarmac CRR as you go over the surfaces.
Old 08-10-21, 12:49 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Yea but aside from the noise, did you have a nice ride?
Likes For Just Mark:
Old 08-10-21, 01:10 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
- 8,9,10 speed drivetrains are quieter than 11,12 speed drivetrain
- steel frames are quieter than carbon ones
- long chainstays make quieter bikes than shorter ones
- smaller cassettes are quieter than larger cassette
- it is usually quieter to use the same chain/cassette combo from the same manufacturer (especially for 11,12 speed drivetrains)
- often times, cheap hubs are quieter than expensive hubs because cheap hubs use thicker seals, thicker grease, less engagement points, all these make for a quieter hub.
- and carbon frames, plus carbon wheel, always amplify sound. All these new school aero frame with bulbuous downtubes act as great sound resonators!
Old 08-10-21, 01:44 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Depends on the noise.

A gentle clackeyclacketyclackety as the individual rollers of the chain meet the root of the cassette teeth is not indicative of any problem, but noises that are periodic based ono your cadence - clicking, grinding, snapping - are more likely to be caused by some actual problem.

The harmless sound of the chain is also dependant on the type of lube - I find very thin lubes like Tri Flo to be considerably noisier, while the chainsaw bar oil I use when I have a rusty chain and nothing else to put on it seems to dampen the noise and make the whole system quieter.
Old 08-10-21, 01:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Are you using the same chain lube on both? Just to rule that out.
yes. Pedro’s synthetic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.