Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saavedra Frames...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saavedra Frames...

Old 04-26-20, 05:45 AM
somepetalhead

Bikes: CROSS CHECK SZ 52 / MEDICI GT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Saavedra Frames...

I have been curious of these lately... Cosme Saavedra built a gang of campy goods and frames back in the day. It has come to my attention and now im after one just havent really been able to find many fotos of them or the different stylers or models. if anybody has further info or fotos to throw up please do so!
Old 04-26-20, 05:54 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Did you search the forums? I don’t know the brand the name sounds vaguely familiar

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-26-20, 06:22 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Just Google Saavedra bicycle catalog and see the results. And...

When searching for information on a vintage bicycle, I almost always add the word catalog. Often times, doing so produces more and better results.
Old 04-26-20, 06:51 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

member bikemig & I have the same Saavedra built cycle with the Roger nameplate in chromo-velato green. his is the much better example as it is all original while mine has had components changed by one of the previous owners.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ine-parts.html

the same bike in a brownish/caramel colour came up on CL a few months back. owner seemed to think it quite special and priced it accordingly. was on the lists for some time. do not know if it ever sold.

Saavedra maintained a distributorship in Los Angeles, California at one time.

here is a catalogue from it:

Saavedra

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-26-20, 07:33 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
My "Roger" (Cosme Saavedra) conversion

Originally Posted by somepetalhead
I have been curious of these lately... Cosme Saavedra built a gang of campy goods and frames back in the day. It has come to my attention and now im after one just havent really been able to find many fotos of them or the different stylers or models. if anybody has further info or fotos to throw up please do so!
Wow, I'm glad someone finally did a Saavedra post... A few years ago I was gifted an old Saavedra bike (under the Roger brand) that was a funky metallic copper color painted over a chrome plated frame. I totally stripped it down and converted it into a fixie for some young hipster. Here's a link to some pics showing the progression. The frame was actually quite nice, but the components (as much as I wanted to love these cheesy Campy knockoffs) were simply awful (no disrespect to Mr Saavedra).

This was one of my all-time favorite projects.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/164610...7627152871624/

Would LOVE to see other examples if they exist.
Old 04-26-20, 09:32 PM
juvela

-----

Thank you very much for posting.

Your example same finish as one mentioned above in post Nr. 4. CL offering from second half of last year.

One story I got on these was that a young American man worked for a time at the Saavedra facility in B.A. and when he returned home to the U.S. he brought back ten examples of this model with him which he sold individually.

My example was purchased from him by a law student at the Boalt School at Law at the University of California, Berkeley. Many of the fittings had been replaced. When I asked about them the owner said "I needed a bike with parts that worked."

-----

Last edited by juvela; 04-26-20 at 09:34 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-26-20, 11:38 PM
somepetalhead

I have searched but i always find different frames or parts... The forums seems to be the place for a wealth of knowledge and bonehead humor which I don't mind at all.

I have been picking up little pieces here and there but never get the golden goose egg with frames that are my range.

With all of that being said its also part of my heritage and a few of us bike some of us ride competitively (well I guess my brother and I are the only ones that don't bike for competition)
Thanks for the posts I know some of a the Saavedra bits arent all the prettiest like the booty water brown "Roger" one but I do like all things stamped SAAVEDRA!

LEMME SEE THE BUILDS!
Old 04-27-20, 07:21 AM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by somepetalhead
I have searched but i always find different frames or parts... The forums seems to be the place for a wealth of knowledge and bonehead humor which I don't mind at all.

I have been picking up little pieces here and there but never get the golden goose egg with frames that are my range.

With all of that being said its also part of my heritage and a few of us bike some of us ride competitively (well I guess my brother and I are the only ones that don't bike for competition)
Thanks for the posts I know some of a the Saavedra bits arent all the prettiest like the booty water brown "Roger" one but I do like all things stamped SAAVEDRA!

LEMME SEE THE BUILDS!
Yeah, I'm half sorry I didn't preserve and restore mine, since it came with all the original parts. I did an online search and found only one post about the components (which wasn't very positive). To me it was more about the frame and I was dying to get down to the bare "Naked Roger" metal and celebrate its beauty.

That said, I do love seeing the originals... Thanks for posting pics, and GOOD LUCK with your search. Long live Saavedra!!! 😊👍
Old 05-05-20, 08:41 AM
somepetalhead

Hey knowledge and nuckleheaded words of wisdom is what i find these forums to be golden in...

If you have a saavedra frame sz 53-55 and looking to rid yourself of it. please lmk

also if you have Saavedra items even if they arent for sale post them up... I just like to see all the differences in the models or items that were customed.

thanks for the info thus far!
Old 05-05-20, 10:25 AM
juvela

-----

there are always lots of Saavedra bicycles & parts offered for sale on the Argentine classifieds site mercadolibre:

https://www.mercadolibre.com.ar/

-----

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-07-20, 04:35 PM
somepetalhead

ahhhhh thank you much Juvela!
Old 05-07-20, 06:10 PM
juvela

-----

meant to include for readers -

the Argentine Peso is currently trading at about 67 to the U.S. Dollar, or one and one half U.S. cents

so divide posted prices by 67 to get values in U.S. dollars

-----
Old 05-13-20, 07:13 AM
somepetalhead

they have cool stuff but i try to buy in the usa... always something international and during these times international takes for ever!!!
Old 05-20-20, 08:22 AM
juvela

-----

perchance Detroit may be close eno'...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...lds-531-a.html

-----
Old 05-20-20, 09:48 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I picked up my Roger in Des Moines. The backstory is that the father of the woman who sold it to me had a tenant in NYC who could not pay his bills and used a pair of Argentine bikes to pay off the rent. Mine was fairly complete (missing only one of the brakes) with a fantastic paint job and a bunch of cheesy campy knock off parts (except for the hubs which are pelissier). The wheels are clinchers and they are one of the worst built stock wheels I have seen outside of a department store bike. I tore it apart and never rebuilt it. I need to build it back up one of these days and I definitely need to take better pictures of this bike.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-20-20 at 10:08 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 05-20-20, 08:52 PM
somepetalhead

oh man those Saavedra cranks are too awesome. thats a sweet bike!

Ive never been able to find one in a 52-55 size. but man i should have a much better of chance after seeing the catalog.